Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ANN BARNHARDT: How the Disintegration is Likely Going to Happen

In the past, when serious hard times hit, did people burn down the local stores?

Today, riots involve trashing their own neighborhood. The grocery store where they shop, the cars of their neighbors, the day care down the streets all get burnt.

The places that sell the things they like to buy get looted. (Shoes, tvs, etc.)

The people we have to worry about wouldn't know what to do with a bag of flour or some dried beans. They have been raised on the idea that they are owed an easy life with an EBT card and microwave dinners.

Quote Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
    All cities are not created equal, and generalizations are only generally true.

I live in a military town (Norfolk). I seriously doubt that the "powers that be" are going to let this city collapse into chaos and anarchy.

Plus, everyone around here in the suburbs is either active duty military or retired military. You think *you* have guns?

These folks have LOTS of firearms, including rifles, shotguns, revolvers, and semi-automatic guns.

And more.

The limitation of such group discussion is that every city and every county is different.

We have to live in the city because of employment. But as cities go, I think we're in one of the best places.

Ditto for other communities with a large military presence.
    You don't need to live in a "military town" to be surrounded by combat vets. My neighborhood is filled with them, and, our "man rooms" all look very similar with respect to their compliment of arms... It's good to live in the rural suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevelator View Post
    Uhhh ... maybe you've managed to avoid them because it hasnt started yet.
    And it is also worth noting that it HAS happened to other people in the past.
    "See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
    http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    I openly question both your proportions and your perception and invite you to provide a source.
    my source is reality,i've lived in ghetto and fringe ghetto neighborhoods,i have two kids who still live in a rough neighborhood,when visiting i see plenty of normal people.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythebee View Post
    my source is reality,i've lived in ghetto and fringe ghetto neighborhoods,i have two kids who still live in a rough neighborhood,when visiting i see plenty of normal people.
    No, in that case, your source is "anecdote", an observed phenomenon limited strictly to your location at the particular time it was observed. You have no way of knowing if your anecdote will hold true through disaster, or anywhere else but where you saw it. This is why some like to say "The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.".

Now, I'll admit that, maybe where you are, all the poor black people of the ghetto are happy people who greet you kindly and invite you to church on Sunday. Many of them are employed. Those that aren't are diligently looking, considering starting their own businesses, and are in general hopeful for a way to improve their lot in life. But to suggest that such is the case everywhere simply flies in the face of numerous other observed phenomenon, such as the murder of other individuals to illegally acquire the shoes they were wearing, or the rampant abuse of the welfare system through the wholesale generation of extra children.

Your way is certainly the ideal, but given the observed phenomena--the other anecdotes--on the table, it cannot be taken as more than a local aberration.

There is a seething cauldron of bitterness and despair in this nation
    Waiting to overflow in any direction

Yes, it is more concentrated in the areas of most economic hardship and disparity
    The cauldron is rockin' and someday it will spill over - maybe a little, maybe a lot

But regardless, it will flow in the path of least resistance.

If you are in the way, it doesn't matter what you have - money, beans, guns - even if you have nothing, your soul and flesh will offer a few seconds of fun for a deranged animal looking to express itself in violence.

No one in the way will be safe. Get out of the way if you can, and trust in God.

Dangerous times ahead. Tribulation, even.
    ---------------------
    "It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said."
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    In the past, when serious hard times hit, did people burn down the local stores?

Today, riots involve trashing their own neighborhood. The grocery store where they shop, the cars of their neighbors, the day care down the streets all get burnt.
    Solves the foreclosure crisis, doesn't it? If they burn down thier neighborhoods, they will have shiny new places to live, right next to you and I. Assimilation by design.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/bu...sed-properties
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

"It's such a fine line between stupid and, uh, clever!" David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by JDSeese View Post
    There is a seething cauldron of bitterness and despair in this nation
    Waiting to overflow in any direction

Yes, it is more concentrated in the areas of most economic hardship and disparity
    The cauldron is rockin' and someday it will spill over - maybe a little, maybe a lot

But regardless, it will flow in the path of least resistance.

If you are in the way, it doesn't matter what you have - money, beans, guns - even if you have nothing, your soul and flesh will offer a few seconds of fun for a deranged animal looking to express itself in violence.

No one in the way will be safe. Get out of the way if you can, and trust in God.

Dangerous times ahead. Tribulation, even.

Well said, my friend. Sad, but well said all the same.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

"It's such a fine line between stupid and, uh, clever!" David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    No, in that case, your source is "anecdote", an observed phenomenon limited strictly to your location at the particular time it was observed. You have no way of knowing if your anecdote will hold true through disaster, or anywhere else but where you saw it. This is why some like to say "The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.".

as i said before
    if TSHTF even nice people with no food will be acting badly,i hope it doesn't come to that.
    the rape angle that AB brings up is just hype,hungry people will be thinking about food

There are good people everywhere, and in every neighborhood. I just don't know if the good outnumber the bad in some places. And yes, hungry people make for desperate people.

I have to believe that the big cities will get the worst of it...strictly because of the population density and the immediate impact of food shortages/power/water/utility issues. I look around in my rural area and suspect that there are people hurting here right now, and with the knowledge that there would be folks suffering terribly and desperately in a collapse. But I wonder if our community structure isn't stronger. Churches, schools, community organizations and township facilities more effective and charitable. Have often thought that we are soon looking at needing a soup kitchen and clothing exchange at the town hall funded by neighbor's donations. Possibly an emergency shelter, because it gets real cold here in the winter. Not in the future, today.

But if travel becomes dangerous, it's every homestead for themselves in the rural areas...at least until the dust settles.