Thread: Online games like World of Warcraft forging the new business model and worker

Default Online games like World of Warcraft forging the new business model and worker

Online games like World of Warcraft forging the new business model and worker

Throughout history, there has always been generation gaps that led to new and innovative paradigms. The 1960's rebellion against conservative and structured America led these young adults to become founders of the technology and corporations of the 90's and early 21st century.

And now, the video game generation is proving to be not only the workers and executives of tomorrow, but also the buisness models and in many cases, the military of tomorrow.

World of Warcraft is the larges MMORPG in the world, encompassing over 12 million players and monthly subscribers. In the game, players will discover nearly every attribute of the business world, and have to learn to adapt to new problems, and rely upon both quick thinking, and well planned solutions.

http://www.thedailyeconomist.com/201...-warcraft.html
    Why is owning pets better than owning kids? Because if they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

The Daily Economist
    http://www.thedailyeconomist.com

interestingly enough, wife is taking a business management course right now and this is pretty much exactly what and how they are teaching..

Is this not the game, we heard about years back, that people were not coming out of their homes for weeks at a time and many even committed suicide because of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
    Is this not the game, we heard about years back, that people were not coming out of their homes for weeks at a time and many even committed suicide because of it?
    It is, at least, one of them.

Another popular whipping boy on the anti-game front is Starcraft, which is sufficiently popular in South Korea that some people prefer it over eating. Due disclosure: I was a level 42 dwarf hunter when I quit WoW because it felt too much like a job that I wasn't getting paid for. I even had a pet bear which I named Grylls.

Let's bear in mind that this is just one standpoint; somewhere there's a guy who'll only hire people who walk into his office and insult his mother. That doesn't mean it's a valid interviewing topic.

i think people need to read the article and watch the video. it really has little to nothing to do with the average players or the way the game is played by 99.99% of the players.. it is not about the game at all, it is about the thought processes and the collaboration between the masters of the game..

Another interesting side affect of these games has been huge crash in the number of people involved in other types of outside hobbies. I forget what the percentage was (it was pretty staggering though) but it came up in the results of a survey the Middle Ages club I'm in (SCA world wide) as to why group numbers were suddenly holding steady after nearly 50 years, after increasing slowly for most of that time period.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    i think people need to read the article and watch the video. it really has little to nothing to do with the average players or the way the game is played by 99.99% of the players.. it is not about the game at all, it is about the thought processes and the collaboration between the masters of the game..
    Six Sigma...different spin. The game is a pure form of free enterprise.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
    Six Sigma...different spin. The game is a pure form of free enterprise.
    yep.. exactly..