Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncured Bacon - what to do with it?

Default Uncured Bacon - what to do with it?

(inspired by the HamHock thread)....

I have a couple of pounds of uncured/unsmoked bacon... just "raw" for lack of a better term...

Any suggestions as to what I can do with it?
    wearing the babushka with pride...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that uncured bacon is called fresh side. We fry it crispy like bacon -- just salt and pepper for seasoning and enjoy! Extra yummy on BLT sandwiches.
    Cathy

1, Make Pancetta... it's like Italian bacon, not smoked.
    2. Slice it up and fry up fresh side meat.... most delicious.
    3. Find a friend with a smoker and complete the process.
    4. Since bacon gets cold smoked, you can do it yourself with a cardboard box, a hotplate and a cast iron skillet.....
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by GrewUpErie View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that uncured bacon is called fresh side. We fry it crispy like bacon -- just salt and pepper for seasoning and enjoy! Extra yummy on BLT sandwiches.
    Cathy
    Yes. That's exactly what it's called. We just take the slices, and coat them in flour, salt and pepper them, and fry them in a small amount of oil in a skillet, just like you would pork chops.
    Support Your Local Militia.

My family called it "side pork". Fried and served with boiled potatos and milk gravy. Yum....it was a much served dinner in my familly during WWll. I have looked for it to buy but none of our stores carry it and few meat departments even know what I am talking about. It has a special flavor of its own and I love it.

I did fry the first pound like regular, smoked, bacon w/salt & pepper. I liked it, but the kids were a bit put off by the coloring (kind of grayish - not what they are used to). Flour it & salt & pepper? maybe for a dinner one night? will have to think on that...
    wearing the babushka with pride...

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    My family called it "side pork". Fried and served with boiled potatos and milk gravy. Yum....it was a much served dinner in my familly during WWll. I have looked for it to buy but none of our stores carry it and few meat departments even know what I am talking about. It has a special flavor of its own and I love it.
    Same here. I prefer it over bacon. We buy it at the Amish butcher shop. One local grocery has it sometimes in packages but it is more expensive than bacon per pound, which makes no sense at all.

We call it side pork in Montana, and like many said, just season it up and fry like bacon. I use it a lot in fried rice and things like that. We butcher our own hogs, and generally have lots of side pork.

you can chop it up in small pieces, heat it in a pot on med heat to get rid of any extra moisture and then pressure can it in pints.
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

CANNABIS MEDICINE RECIPES & INFO
    https://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com/blog/

Or... for a more immediate gratification... you could do this...

Roman-Style Spaghetti Alla Carbonara

Recipe at: http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/04/...alla-carbonara

Or.... you could do THIS....
    Roman-Style Rigatoni Alla Gricia

Recipe at: http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/04/...-gricia-recipe

OR...
    Bucatini al'Amatriciana

Recipe at: http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/07/...riciana-recipe

While the recipes call for guanciale (cured italian pork jowl), fresh side meat would be a very acceptable substitute.

The carbonara is worth the little effort it takes.... trust me..
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne