Thread: Private workers end up losing their jobs to prisoners.

Default Private workers end up losing their jobs to prisoners.

American prison labor means longer unemployment lines

snip>
    American Apparel, the Selma, Ala., based military clothing manufacturer closed one of its plants and continues to downsize others due to the loss of some of its contracts to FPI. According retired Air Force colonel and spokesman Kurt Wilson, the company laid off 255 employees and cut the hours of 190 employees this year alone. So private workers end up losing their jobs to prisoners.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/16...#ixzz26e2Svt2y

this will be a trend
    it is the reason for jailing record amounts of citizens on drug charges and other statute offenses.
    more cheap labor for the corporate citizens and less jobs for actual people.

Cost

of

Labor.

Same reason that we have such a push for immigrants right now. The US wage has to drop to a competitive level with India and China.

Quote Originally Posted by rondaben View Post
    Cost

of

Labor.

Same reason that we have such a push for immigrants right now. The US wage has to drop to a competitive level with India and China.

3rd world economy...here we go

Cost

of

Labor.

scary but true,
    when you tell your buddies the truth they will call you a meatball
    America will reign forever doncha know,we're just experiencing a temporary setback--yah
    we live in a nation of economic geniuses,who cannot balance a checkbook

I figured for sure within the first 4 posts that someone would mention the "freemarket". This is the natural progression of things.

If someone is willing and able to do your job for 80 cents per hour than they win, even if the taxpayers are subsidizing their food, housing and clothing.

Prisoners already have 3 hots and a cot with healthcare so they don't need to bargain for higher pay.

The ironic part is that the private firm sells uniforms to the government cheaper than the outfit that runs the prison labor.

Quote Originally Posted by varamyr View Post
    I figured for sure within the first 4 posts that someone would mention the "freemarket". This is the natural progression of things.

If someone is willing and able to do your job for 80 cents per hour than they win, even if the taxpayers are subsidizing their food, housing and clothing.

Prisoners already have 3 hots and a cot with healthcare so they don't need to bargain for higher pay.
    I don't think you can mention the freemarket in conjunction with prison labor.

I guess if the unemployed want their jobs back then they can go get arrested for an ounce of pot.

Gotta love this free country.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    The ironic part is that the private firm sells uniforms to the government cheaper than the outfit that runs the prison labor.
    Unless you take into account the kickbacks.

Cost

of

Labor.

Sounds like a good time to get out of labor and go on the public dole! It's a growth industry.