Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European Union Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Default European Union Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Ladies and gentlemen, we bring you EUtopia (and an early case of Friday humor). "

The European Union has been awarded the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize in a nod to the 27-member bloc's "advancement of peace and reconciliation," and to applaud its solidarity as it continues to work to contain the debt crisis hanging over the euro zone.

The head of the Norwegian committee, Thorbørn Jagland, said the committee gave the award in an effort to encourage Europe to back away from the "extremism and nationalism" that led to major conflict in years past. "This is, in a way, a message to Europe to secure everything we have achieved and move forward," he said while addressing a packed crowd at the Nobel Norwegian Institute in Oslo on Friday.

"Mr. Jagland said it is "up to the European Union" to decide what to do with the approximately $1.2 million in prize money that comes with the award. He also said the EU should decide how the award is ceremonially received."

Some other news: Bernard Madoff Investment Securities has not won the Nobel prize in economics yet.

The good news: Europe, for the first time in history, has a positive $1.2 million in equity value from the prize money, which is also the cash which will be promptly spent to fill those 0.0x fiscal (and monetary) multipliers of a failed regime, aka fill Belgian caterers' pockets.

The good news: Europe, for the first time in history, has a positive $1.2 million in equity value from the prize money, which is also the cash which will be promptly spent to fill those 0.0x fiscal (and monetary) multipliers of a failed regime, aka fill Belgian caterers' pockets.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-1...el-peace-prize

Heh. That's the death cry of the EU right there. I suspect it won't last another year and that things must be worse than we hear if they committee felt they needed to give such a reminder to the EU at this juncture in history.

I found this deeply disturbing this morning on so many levels...surely there are individuals out there deserving of the prize? This very strange choice, in the midst of the EU's economic issues that could split it apart at the seems, reeks of politics on someone(s) part...
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Perhaps their idea of peace is to eliminate opposition by destroying liberty. In this regard they have made
    great advances toward peace.

http://stepstowardthemark.com
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    I found this deeply disturbing this morning on so many levels...surely there are individuals out there deserving of the prize? This very strange choice, in the midst of the EU's economic issues that could split it apart at the seems, reeks of politics on someone(s) part...
    Agreed. It is being awarded for good intentions, not performance, just as it is becoming apparent to all that the design was faulty from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    I found this deeply disturbing this morning on so many levels...
    Why? The Peace Prize became a joke after it was awarded to Arafat and it hasn't recovered since.
    Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Job 13:15a

Arafat was bad, but at least it was together with several other people who had managed a major peace treaty. It didn't hold together over time, but it was the sort of "right intended action" I would hope to be associated with that award. It might not have been my personal choice for award that year, but at least I can understand it (and hard to give it to two of the major parties and not the third).

The next really big error and for once this isn't to do with is politics, was giving it a young and inexperienced US President so early his term that he could not possibly have had time to do anything yet. It wasn't like there was some major crises (like the nuclear stand off with Russia under Kennedy) that had just occurred for him to warrant it either. It was a seemingly senseless move, based on nothing more than slick promises by a young politician; an award that was later made a laughing stock with continuing actions in various parts of the Middle East.

Again, no matter what I might think (or did think) about Obama, the award was based on nothing but air...

Now we have this total strangeness and while I can sort of see the point (no war in most of Europe for 2 generations) it is debatable if this is even because of anyone in particular in the EU, must less the giant "organization."

To me, it cheapens the award, which in my opinion should almost always go to individuals (or small groups) who truly make a difference. It doesn't mean their work always stands the test of time, but it means they were trying their best and did accomplish some gains.

Once in a great while, you might have organization (usually a charity) that merits the award, but again I'd rather see the individuals who shed their blood, sweat and tears to create and manage it honored, than "the group" which really depersonalizes things.

But then, it isn't my award, I'm just sorry to see it becoming so weird and seemingly away from its original intent.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    Why? The Peace Prize became a joke after it was awarded to Arafat and it hasn't recovered since.
    It's been a joke for some time now, but we carry forward our expectations that there still just MIGHT be some meaning to it. Then again maybe not.

Arafat - terrorist
    Al Gore - liar
    Jimmy Carter - joke
    Obammy - who really knows anymore (all the above)
    Last edited by Lraiser; 10-12-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Kiss of death to the EU. The Nobel prize had its own kiss of death when they started putting it in cereal boxes.

The selection seems to be in line with their philosophy, give it to who would bring the most recognition, (money).
    I believe Europe will pan out as highly visible in the coming year.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Obama: "I do listen to the Dreams of my Father... John 8:44"