Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antarctic ice at record high levels

Default Antarctic ice at record high levels

thought i might add this to godwit's current scare piece about antarctica "record" climate change (warming) but this deserves its own thread imho.

British press acknowledges Antarctic ice at record high levels
    October 13, 2012

“Now there’s more ice at South Pole than ever,” headlines the Daily Mail. “(So much for global warming thawing Antarctica!)”

Yes, that last part about global warming is also part of the headline.

“Ice around the South Pole has expanded to cover a record area, scientists revealed yesterday – a month after saying that the North Pole had lost an unprecedented amount of its ice.”

At the end of the southern winter in September, ice covered 7.51 million square miles (19.44 million sq km) of sea – more than at any time since records began in 1979.

“Researchers say – rather confusingly – that both occurrences are down to the ‘complex and surprising’ effects of global warming”

http://iceagenow.info/2012/10/britis...h-high-levels/
    Prov. 3
    5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

When the sun goes nova, better have your Psalm 91 arrangements made.

Meanwhile, there's a possibility for snow level is at 3,000 feet in the PNW. People might have the chance to ski in their Halloween costumes.

I demand my global warming! This cold stuff is for the penguins.

Well, the long range is calling for much colder around halloween, Even a freeze all the way into Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    Meanwhile, there's a possibility for snow level is at 3,000 feet in the PNW. People might have the chance to ski in their Halloween costumes.

I demand my global warming! This cold stuff is for the penguins.
    Funny. The fellow who discovered that burning fossil fuels might cause the climate to warm, in 1896, also thought that warming would be a good thing.

i am FAR more concerned that any "climate change" is being caused by "off-Earth" forces way beyond the input of us puny mortals (barring the woo-woo implications of "scalar techno war").

something else is at work in our solar system that is affecting the sun, the planets in general, and ours most specifically in terms of core and crustal changes.

the fact that the Earth's magnetic north pole is speeding away from its traditional location at the rate of 40 miles per year (400 miles per decade) should be getting scientists and laypeople alike to stand up and notice that something is not quite right.

something is NOT right, but "greenhouse gases" are, most likely, the least of our problems right now.
    Prov. 3
    5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

When the sun goes nova, better have your Psalm 91 arrangements made.

Antarctic Sea Ice is at a high while the Ice Shelves seem to be breaking up. The Ice Shelves are the floating-on-sea portions of land-based glaciers. Sea ice is formed by winter freezing seawater; easier when so much freshwater from melting Ice Shelves dilutes the salt of the seawater. Being lighter than freshwater, the less-saline freshwater floats on top of the saltwater. With the unstopping of the glaciers, there is a lot more meltwater flowing into the sea or rather glacier movement into the sea is increased, eventually resulting in melting, improving conditions for the development of seasonal seaice.

• “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by jed turtle View Post
    i am FAR more concerned that any "climate change" is being caused by "off-Earth" forces way beyond the input of us puny mortals (barring the woo-woo implications of "scalar techno war").

something else is at work in our solar system that is affecting the sun, the planets in general, and ours most specifically in terms of core and crustal changes.

the fact that the Earth's magnetic north pole is speeding away from its traditional location at the rate of 40 miles per year (400 miles per decade) should be getting scientists and laypeople alike to stand up and notice that something is not quite right.

something is NOT right, but "greenhouse gases" are, most likely, the least of our problems right now.
    The sun's influence on our climate comes from (a) the sun's output, which as others have noted on this forum is at a low point; and (b) various oddities in our orbit, collectively called the Milankovitch cycle, which last about 26,000 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles Neither explains the current warming trend.

The magnetic pole has always moved around, and has no detectable influence on climate.

But,,BUT,,, Global warming!!!!
    I'm wearing rubber waders fer nothing?
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."