Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aspartame is linked to leukemia and lymphoma in new landmark study on humans

Default Aspartame is linked to leukemia and lymphoma in new landmark study on humans

Aspartame is linked to leukemia and lymphoma in new landmark study on humans

by Ethan Evers

(NaturalNews) As few as one diet soda daily may increase the risk for leukemia in men and women, and for multiple myeloma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma in men, according to new results from the longest-ever running study on aspartame as a carcinogen in humans. Importantly, this is the most comprehensive, long-term study ever completed on this topic, so it holds more weight than other past studies which appeared to show no risk. And disturbingly, it may also open the door for further similar findings on other cancers in future studies.

The most thorough study yet on aspartame - Over two million person-years

For this study, researchers prospectively analyzed data from the Nurses' Health Study and the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study for a 22-year period. A total of 77,218 women and 47,810 men were included in the analysis, for a total of 2,278,396 person-years of data. Apart from sheer size, what makes this study superior to other past studies is the thoroughness with which aspartame intake was assessed. Every two years, participants were given a detailed dietary questionnaire, and their diets were reassessed every four years. Previous studies which found no link to cancer only ever assessed participants' aspartame intake at one point in time, which could be a major weakness affecting their accuracy.

One diet soda a day increases leukemia, multiple myeloma and non-Hodgkin lymphomas

The combined results of this new study showed that just one 12-fl oz. can (355 ml) of diet soda daily leads to:

- 42 percent higher leukemia risk in men and women (pooled analysis)
    - 102 percent higher multiple myeloma risk (in men only)
    - 31 percent higher non-Hodgkin lymphoma risk (in men only)

These results were based on multi-variable relative risk models, all in comparison to participants who drank no diet soda. It is unknown why only men drinking higher amounts of diet soda showed increased risk for multiple myeloma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Note that diet soda is the largest dietary source of aspartame (by far) in the U.S. Every year, Americans consume about 5,250 tons of aspartame in total, of which about 86 percent (4,500 tons) is found in diet sodas.

Confirmation of previous high quality research on animals

This new study shows the importance of the quality of research. Most of the past studies showing no link between aspartame and cancer have been criticized for being too short in duration and too inaccurate in assessing long-term aspartame intake. This new study solves both of those issues. The fact that it also shows a positive link to cancer should come as no surprise, because a previous best-in-class research study done on animals (900 rats over their entire natural lifetimes) showed strikingly similar results back in 2006: aspartame significantly increased the risk for lymphomas and leukemia in both males and females. More worrying is the follow on mega-study, which started aspartame exposure of the rats at the fetal stage. Increased lymphoma and leukemia risks were confirmed, and this time the female rats also showed significantly increased breast (mammary) cancer rates. This raises a critical question: will future, high-quality studies uncover links to the other cancers in which aspartame has been implicated (brain, breast, prostate, etc.)?

There is now more reason than ever to completely avoid aspartame in our daily diet. For those who are tempted to go back to sugary sodas as a "healthy" alternative, this study had a surprise finding: men consuming one or more sugar-sweetened sodas daily saw a 66 percent increase in non-Hodgkin lymphoma (even worse than for diet soda). Perhaps the healthiest soda is no soda at all.

Sources for this article include:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23097267
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16507461
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17805418

http://www.naturalnews.com/z037772_aspartame_leukemia_lymphoma.html

"But none of the wicked shall understand [that the End of the Age is upon them]."
    [Daniel 12:10b]

I've been drinking a dozen diet drinks a day for well over 20 years. I drank them while pregnant all six times, too. Guess we're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by tygerkittn View Post
    I've been drinking a dozen diet drinks a day for well over 20 years. I drank them while pregnant all six times, too. Guess we're doomed.

What a silly comment ....

I got off them - I had a headache for 3 weeks straight

Sounds like an addiction to me

Now I squirt a little lemon juice into a tall glass of ice water and that hits the spot better than any soda ever did. The best place for lemon juice I've found is Costco, I get a twin pack of 48oz bottles for I dunno somewhere around 5 bucks or less and it lasts me a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
    What a silly comment ....
    Not as silly as all the "studies" someone did in their head claiming aspartame instantly kills you. I've been hearing for a couple of decades that it will give you brain tumors within a year.

Huh? I haven't read the full text, but here is what the abstract of the study says:

RESULTS:

When the 2 cohorts were combined, there was no significant association between soda intake and risks of NHL and multiple myeloma. However, in men, ≥1 daily serving of diet soda increased risks of NHL (RR: 1.31; 95% CI: 1.01, 1.72) and multiple myeloma (RR: 2.02; 95% CI: 1.20, 3.40) in comparison with in men without diet soda consumption. We observed no increased risks of NHL and multiple myeloma in women. We also observed an unexpected elevated risk of NHL (RR: 1.66; 95% CI: 1.10, 2.51) with a higher consumption of regular, sugar-sweetened soda in men but not in women. In contrast, when sexes were analyzed separately with limited power, neither regular nor diet soda increased risk of leukemia but were associated with increased leukemia risk when data for men and women were combined (RR for consumption of ≥1 serving diet soda/d when the 2 cohorts were pooled: 1.42; 95% CI: 1.00, 2.02).
    CONCLUSION:

Although our findings preserve the possibility of a detrimental effect of a constituent of diet soda, such as aspartame, on select cancers, the inconsistent sex effects and occurrence of an apparent cancer risk in individuals who consume regular soda do not permit the ruling out of chance as an explanation.

Based on that, they show a small increase in likelihood of disease in men who drink diet soda, a larger (but still small) risk for men who drink regular soda, and no increased risk for women who drink either. But, it appears they are pushing the limits of statistical power in this study, so it might all be artifacts of analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by dissimulo View Post
    Huh? I haven't read the full text, but here is what the abstract of the study says:

Based on that, they show a small increase in likelihood of disease in men who drink diet soda, a larger (but still small) risk for men who drink regular soda, and no increased risk for women who drink either. But, it appears they are pushing the limits of statistical power in this study, so it might all be artifacts of analysis.
    I think the sugar industry pays for periodic, baseless 'hit' pieces on aspartame. Based on my own experience, it's no worse than sugar and I think it tastes better. Since none of the negative studies I've read were credible, I'll have to go on experience.

Not as silly as all the "studies" someone did in their head claiming aspartame instantly kills you. I've been hearing for a couple of decades that it will give you brain tumors within a year.
    I pray that you're not being serious about this poison the criminal Donald Rumsfeld (Mr. "Have a Coke and a smile" and "I never heard of building 7") foisted upon us in 1981 when he was running Monsanto.

I wish it made for a teasy little joke, but it's just not funny what has been passed on to an unsuspecting public.

I think the sugar industry pays for periodic, baseless 'hit' pieces on aspartame. Based on my own experience, it's no worse than sugar and I think it tastes better. Since none of the negative studies I've read were credible, I'll have to go on experience.
    Don't let yourself or your family be defeated by those with all the money. You sure wouldn't want any of them to find out this stuff wasn't a fabrication after it's too late.

FDA Studies Show Aspartame Link to Brain Tumors

Mission Possible is seeking New York and New Jersey plaintiffs for litigation on aspartame.

ATLANTA (PRWEB) April 12, 2005

Consumer rights advocacy group Mission Possible is leading a campaign to fill a product liability lawsuit with New York and New Jersey residents whose brain tumors may be linked to the consumption of the artificial sweetener aspartame (NutraSweet/Equal/Spoonful, etc.).

"Neither congressional hearings or repeated petitions calling for a ban have stopped aspartame manufacturers from exposing the public to this sweet poison. In fact, aspartame producers are reporting increased sales and boasting the marketplace addition of 'neotame,' a new aspartame product," explained Mission Possible International Founder Betty Martini.

For 16 years, the FDA resisted pressure to approve aspartame due to safety studies linking the artificial sweetener to numerous adverse reactions, including the development of brain tumors in animal studies. In 1977, FDA investigator Jerome Bressler released a report describing how, in clinical studies submitted to the FDA, Searle removed aspartame-induced brain tumors that developed in lab rats and placed them back into the study. If the rats died, Bressler reported, Searle would resurrect them on paper.

In a personal conversation with Martini and prominent aspartame experts, Doctors H. J. Roberts and Russell Blaylock he admitted the studies were so bad FDA removed 20% of the most damaging data of his report.

Three years after Donald Rumsfeld became CEO of Searle, aspartame was approved for use in dry goods. To find out how he accomplished this feat, click into the new movie, “Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World” and hear the words of renowned Washington Consumer Attorney James Turner as he speaks about President Reagan's Executive Order: http://www.soundandfury.tv/pages/Rumsfeld2.html

Since its 1981 approval, the FDA has published a list of 92 symptoms of aspartame poisoning, which includes headaches, vision loss including blindness, seizures, neurological problems, cardiovascular problems and death. The FDA admits adverse reactions to aspartame comprise about 80 percent of consumer complaints it receives each year. Martini has been networking victims, scientists, and physicians under an umbrella of scientific data and published medical literature that has been growing since Mission Possible formed in 1992.

Having exhausted her executive and administrative remedies regarding the removal of aspartame from the marketplace, Martini is convinced that, "Litigation is the only way to spare consumers the misery of aspartame poisoning." Martini's reasoning is supported in the outcomes of recent product liability controversies. It was class action lawsuits -- not government agency intervention -- that forced the epidemic of Vioxx-induced heart attacks out into the open where the FDA had to take administrative action, banning sales of the dangerous pain relief drug. Information from the experts and in medical texts show aspartame is actually a neurotoxic drug that interacts with other drugs and vaccinations.

The story of how aspartame was discovered and approved by the FDA has been pieced together over the years through documents obtained by Mission Possible. That aspartame overcame FDA neurotoxicity concerns and is now found in over 7,000 commonly consumed foods, beverages and medical preparations is a case study of how power politics trumps science and public safety in the product approval process.

In one set of documents, aspartame producer G.D. Searle used poor people from six third-world countries as test subjects for a study conducted in 1983/84. The data shows that, over the 18-month duration of the study, some of the subjects developed brain tumors; others began to experience seizures. In one case, a pregnant woman spontaneously aborted, began hemorrhaging and then disappeared from the study.

The study showed that the numbers of people whose brains and central nervous systems are adversely affected by aspartame are statistically significant enough to warrant a review of its status as an FDA-approved artificial sweetener. But the FDA was not provided with the results of the Searle study nor was it allowed to review the clinical data.

A study was done at Kings College in England by Dr. Peter Nunn in 1999 on aspartame and brain tumors. Monsanto insisted that aspartame could not cause brain tumors because it doesn't get in the blood stream even though Martini says industry's own studies shows it does and released this information in a report, which can be read at http://www.rense.com/health3/asptumor.htm.

In the result of this study it said: "Interestingly, when we exposed human brain tumour cells to nitrosated DKP the cells became more motile and their rate of proliferation was significantly elevated. While it is somewhat early to speculate, it is possible that the aspartame breakdown product may be capable of enhancing the rate of malignant progression of pre-existing (and possibly clinically silent, undiagnosed) tumours in the brain." This was exactly what the famed neuroscientist Dr. John Olney said when he made world news in l996 over the aspartame/brain tumor association.

Monsanto, the maker of the controversial bovine growth hormone that has been linked to the development of cancer in humans and cattle, bought Searle (and the rights to produce aspartame) in 1985. They sold in l999 to other companies.

The prevalence of brain tumors in the U.S. has been increasing steadily since the early 1980s. Today, about 70 percent of adults and 40 percent of children are regular consumers of products that contain aspartame.

"There is not one shred of evidence to suggest that aspartame is safe. Yet, our files are overflowing with studies and reports proving that aspartame is not a food additive but a neurotoxic drug that breaks down to a brain tumor agent, DKP. And now, 25 years later, we have epidemic proportions of people developing brain tumors and a full spectrum of other neurological disorders," Martini said.

Aspartame's road to marketplace approval and its effect on public health is extremely well documented. The aspartame story has been described in the 1,038-page medical text "Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic" by H.J. Roberts, MD. (http://www.sunsentpress.com). Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D., also describes these problems. http://www.russellblaylockmd.com

Former aspartame-induced multiple-sclerosis sufferer Cori Brackett traveled over 7,000 miles to interview physicians, scientists, attorneys and FDA investigators about aspartame neurotoxicity and how then former (and now current) Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld used his political muscle to achieve aspartame's FDA approval. The result is the powerful video documentary "Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World" (http://www.soundandfuryproductions.com).

The largest collection of aspartame-related studies, reports and case histories available anywhere in the world can be found online at http://www.dorway.com, the Mission Possible website. Aspartame Toxicity Center is http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame

the FDA is corrupt as any US agency,they peddle bad food and drugs for corporate profits and of course herd control.
    i'd stick to natural ingredients if you value your health