Thread: My culled compilation-recipes for "Kintucky" chicken spice mix

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pressure frying chicken?

How do you pressure fry chicken.
    I have always wanted to but did not know how to do it. I am very familiar with
    pressure cooking / canning on pretty much anything in water but never in shortening
    of peanut oil or any thing other than water

Would very much appreciated a how to on that .... then I will try some of
    your different mixes.
    Thanks a million
    Jo

More than thirty years ago my mom started using a recipe for her fried chicken. I believe at the time it was said to be a KFC clone. I dont really eat at KFC so cant say if it is similar or not but it has always been a hit with family/friends/get togethers, Over the years I have dropped the Accent (msg) and the salts in favor of powders (ie: garlic powder vs garlic salt)

Mom's Chicken Mixture

1 cup Pancake flour
    2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp celery salt
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 tsp onion salt
    2 tsp Accent

Quote Originally Posted by nilla View Post
    More than thirty years ago my mom started using a recipe for her fried chicken. I believe at the time it was said to be a KFC clone. I dont really eat at KFC so cant say if it is similar or not but it has always been a hit with family/friends/get togethers, Over the years I have dropped the Accent (msg) and the salts in favor of powders (ie: garlic powder vs garlic salt)

Mom's Chicken Mixture

1 cup Pancake flour
    2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp celery salt
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 tsp onion salt
    2 tsp Accent

that's a good one...my latest research is indicating there was likely an old version of chili powder ( which is just a mix of spices)..in the 20's and 30's it was just called chili powder ( like it is today)...
    southern cooking was also influenced by west african fried "fritter" cooking so I have looked to that too..they had a seed called "angel or god pepper seed that has all the cumin/cardamon/anise flavor that is put into standard dry rubs

there is definitely corn meal in there as well

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalGal View Post
    How do you pressure fry chicken.
    I have always wanted to but did not know how to do it. I am very familiar with
    pressure cooking / canning on pretty much anything in water but never in shortening
    of peanut oil or any thing other than water

Would very much appreciated a how to on that .... then I will try some of
    your different mixes.
    Thanks a million
    Jo
    straight up oil inside the pot where you are supposed to be using only water is how...rumors say Sanders made people worry because oil in the cooker made people around him nervous-haha
    there are also reports that he simply pan fried right in a shallow cast iron pan at first...the proximity to the heat makes the chicken crisp up better than any other way ( I even saw that on the cooking channel only a few weeks ago on triple D or something)

I was searching and found cotton seed oil is the best if it's organic because it gives no taste ( too many pesticides in non-organic ) or peanut oil would have been very common in those days too

I want to try the recipe with the italian dressing mix and tomato soup because so many people rave about it..I know and swear it has corn meal/corn flour and is likely brined in celery salt water/butter milk as well

sorry but I can be a bit of an internet sleuth/hound dog at times but...Sanders supposedly perfected his recipe between 1929 and 1939 and if "old bay" or something similar was available ( the dates are close)...the recipe for "old bay" has a significant number of the major ingredients...
    there might have even been another "crab boil" brand that was also available at that time that was very similar

damn near bang on for many of the ingredients

sorry..I had a "senior moment" even tho I'm only 47 ( it still happens-haha)
    the spice is called "grains of paradise"
    I believe that the people that were brought here from west africa and were the early masters of fried foods and the foremothers/fathers of southern spices tried to recreate this spice by cobbling together what they had at hand...

http://www.worldspice.com/spices/grains-of-paradise

Grains Of Paradise
    Aframomum melegueta spices : Grains Of Paradise Item # 0115

The mythical flavor of grains of paradise is like a cross between pepper, ginger, and cardamom, though it is botanically related to none of them. Grains of paradise is used in a range of middle eastern dishes with everything from lamb to eggplant, in meat rubs, soups, stews and tagines. Use it to create your own Ras el Hanout, or try it in Peanut Soup.

apparently some of the people that were brought here even had this spice on their necklaces...

I was gonna keep this to myself...this is probably/is gold

http://kitchenlifeskills.blogspot.ca...-paradise.html

Blackening Spice

1½ tablespoons grains of paradise
    ½ teaspoon coriander seed
    ½ teaspoon cumin seed
    1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    2 tablespoons mustard seed
    ½ teaspoon whole allspice
    1 slice kombu seaweed (oarweed, kelp)
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper