Thread: Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake

Default Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake

I have a sneaking hunch that this would be very good, I was fooling around looking for something to do with apples. I will try it. Don't have any Greek yogurt on hand, Wonder why Greek??

Ingredients

■Crumb topping:

■1. C. firmly packed light brown sugar
    ■1/2 C. granulated sugar
    ■1/2 tsp. salt
    ■1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    ■1 C. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
    ■2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour

■Cake:

■3 C. chopped granny smith apples (unpeeled)
    ■1 tsp. cinnamon
    ■2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
    ■3/4 tsp. baking powder
    ■1 tsp. baking soda
    ■1/2 tsp. salt
    ■3/4 C. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    ■1 1/2 C. granulated sugar
    ■2 lg. eggs
    ■1 1/4 C. pllain greek yogurt
    ■1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 glass baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
    2. Prepare the crumb topping. In a medium bowl, stir together sugars, salt and cinnamon. Whisk in melted butter. Stir in flour until it is completely absorbed. Spread topping mix out on a large sheet of parchment paper and set aside.
    3. Prepare cake. In a medium bowl, combine chopped apples and cinnamon; set aside. In a separate medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and add the granulated sugar. Beat for several minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula again and then add the eggs, one at a time, mixing on medium speed in-between. Beat just until incorporated. Scrape the bowl again and add yogurt and vanilla and mix on medium speed just until combined. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and stir on low speed just until combined. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients in two parts. Do not over-mix. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in apples.
    4. Spread bake layer in prepared baking dish. Drop chunks of the topping over cake layer until completely covered with a thick layer of topping.
    5. Bake for about 55 minutes or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean from center. If topping starts to brown too much while cooking, lightly cover with a layer of tin foil and continue to bake as directed
    The ant works for his food, I think God expects the same of us.

Greek yogurt tends to be a bit thicker and 'drier" than regular yogurt. You probably can get away with regular plain yogurt or even sour cream...

It does sound wonderful. Right now, I'm working on a ton of banana bread- local store had "older" bananas for 10 cents a pound, the best price I've seen in a LONG time!

Once I get it all baked up and in the freezer, I may try your recipe- it does sound good!

Summerthyme

I have something similar baking in the oven right now! I used my thinned out homemade yogurt. We get these 10# bags of juicing apples at Publix for $9.99 and they are great for juicing, canning, making applesauce and putting in bread recipes.

Sherry in GA

I know I just gained 5 lbs. reading all about this goody. I can smell the baking right now.

This is very similar to a "Turkish" apple cake a friend from Turkey showed me in college except in that one the apples are sliced and put on top of the cake. I'll be the yogurt is Greek either because it is thicker (most likely) or because the recipe is from a Greek family tradition. While they pretend it isn't so, a lot of basic Greek cooking and Turkish cooking is very similar, especially every day stuff like cakes.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Whatever the reasons, it sounds wonderful! Anything with a crunchy, cinnamony topping is awesome in my book !
    Pray hard, do your best,
    God will handle all the rest.