Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will take afternoon western sun in a Texas summer?

Default What will take afternoon western sun in a Texas summer?

Looking for food crops that will tolerate hot western afternoon sun in a Texas summer.

Any suggestions? Starting to plan more of my garden for this summer. Excited to start gardening more in my new house!
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Ten Bears View Post
    Looking for food crops that will tolerate hot western afternoon sun in a Texas summer.

Any suggestions? Starting to plan more of my garden for this summer. Excited to start gardening more in my new house!
    Sun screen fabric.

okra..
    nemophilist.

prickly pears
    The truth of all predictions is always in your hands.

My friend in NM and I were chatting last night and came to a conclusion it probably would be best time, energy and waterwise to get stuff in the ground PDQ, get it grown and harvested by June or so and then let the garden lie fallow until the summer heat had moved on, then plant again when it had cooled off for a "fall" crop. No need to stress about water, it's restrictions, the heat, etc.

Hate okra. Like prickly pear jelly, but don't like the plants.

This would be a foundation planting, so watering will happen nearly daily, or at least every other day. (Yes, in north Texas we have to water our foundations.)

Roses are growing there now if that helps you any. Crepe Myrtles are doing fine. Salvia Greggi is doing well. Just need ideas for food crops comparable to those plants in heat tolerance.
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

I've grown potatoes at the west end of my garden and also corn. Both did fine with 30-40 mile winds but my garden has drip lines and I turn it on almost daily when the temps get high. Jerusalem Artichoke also seems fine in the wind and heat.

Is there space for fruit trees? I have sunflowers growing everywhere with very little/no attention. Otherwise, try perennial herbs. Sage, lavender, rosemary, and thyme grow in the hottest area of our yard. Zucchini and yellow squash do well in that space too.

Shade cloth is important/absolutely necessary if you are trying to get things started in the spring. I use lacey and loosely woven curtains from the thrift store - about $1 a piece.

I am in NM. That summer sun is HARSH!

Mama, my son in law is in Midland, and plants an acre of assorted things.

Yes, okra, but also black eyed peas, cantaloupes, watermelons, tomatoes
    ( but they always look awful ), and onions. That is all I remember.

They do not water, ever, and most years get a crop. Cotton, on the other hand, pays once every couple of years which supports the years it doesn't make.

If you want more info, I'm sure he would talk to you. Pm me.

Jean in VA, I find raising a garden in Midland, ever, without extra water to be absolutely amazing. Maybe your sil would write a small treatise which you could post so that others could learn from him.

Mama ten bears, if you decide on tomatoes get Porter or Improved Porter aka Porters Pride. The seed is available from Wilhite (not sure how well it has been maintained) and sometimes plants can be purchased at locally owned nurseries. These varieties were bred for w Tx conditions.

Good luck.

LC