Thread: Has Anyone Here Heard of Moringa?

Default Has Anyone Here Heard of Moringa?

I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this tree, or grown it before. It's definitely a keeper for survival purposes--good for people and animals--and it's commonly grown in large quantities, by missionaries, in other countries, who are trying to alleviate malnutrition in their area.

It has large amounts of nitrogen in it, which makes it good for compost--they recommend you just sprinkle the leaves directly onto your plants--and the seeds contain flocculates, which is good for purifying water. (I watched a video on youtube of this process--incredible!) The paragraph where they tell you the amount of vitamins, proteins, and minerals in this tree is closer toward the bottom--it will knock your socks off! We have ordered a pack of these seeds for $5 on Amazon; apparently, we won't need that many as these things grow 15-20 ft. in the first year!

Anyway, here's the main link that I go to for info, it's from NaturalNews.

http://www.naturalnews.com/037735_Mo..._benefits.html
    "Cats are so vile the Bible does not so much as mention them."

--Natty Threads

"I have come to the conclusion that people are strange."

--Firedance

They are tropical trees which can deplete the ground quickly of nutrients. If you had good soil and lived in a tropical climate, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    They are tropical trees which can deplete the ground quickly of nutrients. If you had good soil and lived in a tropical climate, then go for it.
    Well, I've read that you can grow them in pots--I watched videos of people who did it--so, I figure that my soil is safe for now. And, while we don't have a tropical climate, I also read that you can bring them inside for the cold months.

--Natty Threads

--Firedance

We too have looked at this, and bought seeds...we're in the north Houston area (TX) and believe we can grow them here...we have a plat at our country place that was a drilling site, filled with red clay and sand...we're gonna try..

Amazing shrub, if it is all it says!

PS to add: http://www.treesforlife.org/our-work...atives/moringa
    Psalms 23:1,2 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlady View Post
    We too have looked at this, and bought seeds...we're in the north Houston area (TX) and believe we can grow them here...we have a plat at our country place that was a drilling site, filled with red clay and sand...we're gonna try..

Amazing shrub, if it is all it says!

PS to add: http://www.treesforlife.org/our-work...atives/moringa
    Indeed. We just ordered ours last night. I'm so excited! I found on a bird food website that Moringa is excellent for parrots, too. That makes me happy. Have to look out for our feathered babies, too.

--Natty Threads

--Firedance

Default Missionaries!

Got some great news! I sent the info about Moringa to my adoptive father, and he informed one of their missionaries about it. Needless to say, he is thrilled, and they are trying to find about 100 of these trees to grow on the mission property; apparently, they are experiencing serious famine right now due to drought.

One of their contacts there--in Malawi--says that he has one of these trees in his own backyard, but never knew what it was! His daughter told him that it was good for curing 300 illnesses, but he didn't believe her. Well, I bet he believes her now! From what I've read about it from other missionaries, the Moringa trees will be a great asset to their mission. I'm so excited!

--Natty Threads

--Firedance