Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mysterious piles of dirt in my yard

I've never seen a mole tunnel run across the surface - just big mounds that appear overnight. Maybe different species tunnel at different depths.

We have moles that make tunnels across the ground and we have moles that just form mounds where their tunnels come to the surface.

I would think it might depend on the density of the soil at whatever depth and the availability of food at that depth that would determine tunnels near the surface or not.

Usually the soil in the mounds is nice and soft and I've even used it for filling flower pots, etc.
    "When Christ uttered the cry, 'It is finished,' he knew that the battle was won. As a moral conqueror, he planted his banner on the eternal heights. Was there not joy among the angels? Not a son nor a daughter of Adam but could now lay hold on the merits of the spotless son of God, and say: 'Christ has died for me. He is my saviour...'" - Ellen G. White.

Moles are doing one thing....finding and eating grubs, their favorite food. If you have a mole problem, you have a grub problem. If you have a grub problem you have a soil fertiity problem. If you have a soil fertility problem and a grub problem, you have two problems in your yard and garden...infertility and flying insect pests.

The best and cheapest way to rid yourself of moles is to work out a cheap way to increase your fertility. Increase fertility and the grubs can't sustain. No grubs, no mole food. No mole food, no moles. No moles, happy homeowner.

When I first took over my place and started turning some soil, I had twenty grubs to every earth worm I found. I started rotationally grazing chickens all over the whole place. After three rotations over the whole place, problems was remedied. Now, after a few years, I have twenty to thirty earthworms to every grub I find. And it is very rare to find a mole.

Used to be that the cats would have caught moles and brought them up to the porch ot chew on. Now they rarely have a mole, instead are catching mice. The transition from moles to mice is a good sign, but a different problem.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

The RODENATOR!!!

It puts propane & oxygen in the tunnels and BOOOM!

Looks like more fun than shooting spray cans in the fire

http://www.rodenator.com/
    .........against all enemies, foreign and domestic

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    The RODENATOR!!!

It puts propane & oxygen in the tunnels and BOOOM!

Looks like more fun than shooting spray cans in the fire

http://www.rodenator.com/
    Way out of my budget, but THAT IS WAY COOL!!
    Our cats took care of the ground squirrels we had, however they aren't as interested in getting the moles.
    What will you say on judgment day?

The bankers win every war.

When growing food is outlawed I'll BE an outlaw.

We had them but now they are gone. My husband looked very sheepish when I asked if he knew why they were gone! He finally told me, he had been using a bottle in the shed to pour into the holes and they (and no others like skunks, etc.) do not like it. So, GONE. Yea!

Maybe really, really big crawfish? If they are the criters, mais, what a boil we'll have!! Happy Mardi Gras to all! Prep and pray, the end has arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by consteacher View Post
    Maybe really, really big crawfish? If they are the criters, mais, what a boil we'll have!! Happy Mardi Gras to all! Prep and pray, the end has arrived!
    Nope, not crawfish, although we do have wet areas that get them sometimes. This is just a lose pile of fine dirt. There haven't been as many around lately, but I haven't done anything to try and get rid of them.