Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 150 employees fired for not taking flu shot

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Default 150 employees fired for not taking flu shot

One of Cincinnati’s largest employers fired approximately 150 employees Wednesday for failing to get a required flu shot.

TriHealth offered all of its 10,800 employees free flu shots. Employees had a month to get the flu shot. The deadline was Nov. 16. Employees who did not get the shot were terminated Wednesday, a company spokesperson said.

Employees who were terminated can appeal to be reinstated after receiving the shot.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/...#ixzz2D3ZHvgZL

This is a wonderful place to copy a post by Blacknarwhal from another thread...

THEY TOOK HER JOB BECAUSE SHE DID SOMETHING SOMEONE DIDN'T LIKE.

This could apply to us soon, so easily, unless we stand up and say that this is wrong. That what you do outside of the office should not have an impact on whether you remain in that office unless it affects your ability to do the job. She didn't go to jail. She didn't molest or kill anyone. She just took a photo that some find distasteful.

Today it's a middle finger at Arlington.

Tomorrow it could be anything.

Do we really want to get to the point, as a society, where employers have sufficient power to deprive people of livelihood because they took a photo someone didn't like, or because someone went to the wrong church, or someone wore the wrong color or style of clothes? We may well be getting there.

Jobs aren't easy to come by. They're just as hard to build out of nothing, with all the extra regulation and taxes and whatnot. They're hard to replace, and therefore, valuable. Losing them, if lost for long enough, could prove fatal.

These are still people. They're people like you and me. Sure, this one did something stupid, but she's a person nonetheless. And frankly, all those out there who wish ill on her for doing something stupid sadden me.

Let those who are without stupidity on their records throw the first brick, to paraphrase.

If that's "rash", then so be it.

Sometimes people need to stand up for regular people without scoffing and mocking them as "sheeple".

You are always free to seek employment elsewhere.

Not reading the original article, it sounds like the Company is in health care or insurance, and has ready access to stats showing how much time is lost each year to sick days from influenza. Also, if the company is a hospital/clinic system, the vaccination is not only to ensure the health of the employee, but the health of the patients who come in contact with the employee. Makes perfect sense to me.

All I know is that I always get my flu shot and haven't used a company sick day in years, because I don't get sick. Happy employer, and lower insurance premiums.

been going on for at least a couple years in healthcare.. i dont know of a single hospital that will allow you to work without receiving a flu shot.. i could be, and probably am wrong on that,but i think its become pretty standard in hospitals. no shot = no work..
    nemophilist.

Hey,

WOW, I don't get flu shots, (they give me the flu, and I'm out for a week) and haven't been sick either. Happy employer, insurance premiums the same as those who took the shot.

WOW go figure!!!!!

Just chalk it up to sarcasm. All be it true.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

Conditions of employment.

Just like Hep B titers...
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

I work in a hospital. The pressure has been on this fall like last. Last year I had to sign a letter saying I didn't want it, and was expecting the same this year. Wednesday afternoon, I got a form email from my boss saying I needed to schedule an appointment with him next week to "discuss" my reasons why not and the hospitals reason why I should. I foresee in the next 2 years I will be forced to get a flu shot if I want to keep this job.

What to do?

What happens when they all do it just like drug testing? What happens when there are no alternatives?

The insurance companies combined with the corporations are doing things that the gov could only dream of.

Hey,

Just to add a bit:

I've had the bona fide flu twice.

Once from taking the shot--the last one I've had, and the other from going to the emergency room, with a broke foot, where I'm sure I contacted it, probably from a patient.

So, I don't think the hospital would require it to avoid giving it to patients, they can and do get it from other patients--I did.

And if you do come down with the bona fide flu you won't be at work to pass it around.

If you think you can have the flu and be at work, you don't have the flu.

BUT if you are in the medical profession, I would want every preventive under the sun because you are going to come in contact with it, not maybe.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him