Thread: YouTube videos blocked on copyright grounds

Default YouTube videos blocked on copyright grounds

I was looking for one of the many YouTube videos I've seen in the past of early commercials with doctors recommending smoking Camel cigarettes. So far, nearly every one of them has confronted me with a black screen with the text,
    "This video contains content from New Video Group and dig dis, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
    These "doctors recommend" commercials are sometimes 50-60 years old and were on free over-the-air television.

For reference, here's one that hasn't been blocked as of this morning.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-y_N4u0uRQ

I guess I don't clearly understand when anything that's been broadcast over the air is permissible to use in a YouTube video, as it seems to be a criteria that gets many videos blocked while I've seen countless videos with broadcast content remain unblocked.

Anybody know what the differentiators are?

Quote Originally Posted by tsimitpo View Post
    I was looking for one of the many YouTube videos I've seen in the past of early commercials with doctors recommending smoking Camel cigarettes. So far, nearly every one of them has confronted me with a black screen with the text,
    "This video contains content from New Video Group and dig dis, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
    These "doctors recommend" commercials are sometimes 50-60 years old and were on free over-the-air television.

For reference, here's one that hasn't been blocked as of this morning.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-y_N4u0uRQ

I guess I don't clearly understand when anything that's been broadcast over the air is permissible to use in a YouTube video, as it seems to be a criteria that gets many videos blocked while I've seen countless videos with broadcast content remain unblocked.

Well someone usually has to complain... the 50-60 year thing doesn't really matter since copyrights are renewable up to 70 years after the death of the creator. I'm not sure why "New Video Group" would care though... could be a copyright on the music perhaps?
    Only the sword now carries any weight in the balance for the destiny of a nation.

Just a guess but I would speculate a residual payment due to someone who appeared in the original ad, or perhaps still extant legal questions over ownership of the video and therefore, who has the rights to use it...above and beyond copyrighted content.

Quote Originally Posted by tsimitpo View Post

Attorneys mostly.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Police dog 1, bad guy nothin':

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

Copyright is interesting law...My bro did a LOTof Intelectual Property work as he came thru Franklin Pierce, his law school. And having been transmitted over the air has nothing to do with the copyright protections...
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

MidnightTide Guest

Heck, get a website, get a corporate sounding email and write youtube, you can pretty much take down what you want (short of the top subscribed)