Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a recipe...

Default Looking for a recipe...

I've googled and came up with several, but nothing sounds quite like the Milky Way Cake I had in the late 80's....was the"rage" at the time. It was made in a 9x13 sheet pan and REALLY thick, gooey, with a ton of Milky Way bars in the middle. If my memory is right it almost wasn't like a cake at all. And the icing was fudgy....does anyone know what I'm trying to describe?

I have a request for it and hope to make a smaller version this Christmas if the candy bars aren't too expensive. I'm not gonna break the bank on one dessert, but will try a smaller one to make him happy .

Thanks!
    pg
    Pray hard, do your best,
    God will handle all the rest.

Are you sure it was Milky Way? I remember a Snickers cake.

havent made this one but it looks like death by butter (3 sticks!)

Milky Way Cake

8 large Milky Way Bars
    4 eggs, beaten
    2 ½ cups four
    1 cup chopped pecans
    2 cups sugar
    2 sticks butter
    ½ tsp baking soda
    1 ¼ cups buttermilk
    Icing:
    2 ½ cups sugar
    1 cup cream
    1 package milk chocolate morsels
    1 stick butter
    Dash salt
    1 jar marshmallow crème

Melt Milky way candy bars with one stick of butter; set aside. Cream the sugar and butter. Add eggs and buttermilk; mix thoroughly. Add flour and soda. Add melted candy and pecans. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes in a greased and floured Bundt cake pan. For icing, cook all five ingredients until they form a soft ball in cold water. Then add marshmallow crème and m ix well. Spread on cool cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Limner View Post
    OHMYGOODNESS, I remember that one! No recipe here, but I will testify to the recipe's existence.......

YUMMM.....and I can't even eat chocolate anymore.....!
    I know! At least someone remembers what I'm talking about here, lol.

Sorry about your "chocolate thing" Limner (I think, lol). I'd rather have slty stuff myself, mostly, but do like chocoate in small doses).
    Pray hard, do your best,

Default nilla...

Hmm...well, maybe that's it, but not sure? The middle was like biting into a thick, chewy, caramely part (is caramely a word?? ), and it was a large sheet cake. Thanks!
    Pray hard, do your best,

Quote Originally Posted by psychgirl View Post
    Hmm...well, maybe that's it, but not sure? The middle was like biting into a thick, chewy, caramely part (is caramely a word?? ), and it was a large sheet cake. Thanks!

See if this might work. I guess you could use Milky Way bars if you want to. Why not?

Candy Bar Cake

Servings: 12-15

Ingredients:

1 (18 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
    1 1/3 cups water
    1/3 cup oil
    3 eggs
    5 -6 Snickers candy bars, sliced into about 1/4 inch slices

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 9x13 cake pan.

2 Mix cake mix as directed on box.

3 Pour half the batter into the pan and bake for 15 minutes.

4 Remove pan from oven and distribute candy bar slices evenly over cake. 5 Pour remaining batter over candy bars, making sure to cover all slices evenly.

6 Return pan to oven and bake for another 30-35 minutes, or until cake tests done.

7 Remove from oven and cool, then frost with your favorite chocolate frosting. Sprinkle additional chopped snicker's bars over frosting and serve at room temperature.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Mstini View Post
    See if this might work. I guess you could use Milky Way bars if you want to. Why not?

Candy Bar Cake

Servings: 12-15

Ingredients:

1 (18 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
    1 1/3 cups water
    1/3 cup oil
    3 eggs
    5 -6 Snickers candy bars, sliced into about 1/4 inch slices

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 9x13 cake pan.

2 Mix cake mix as directed on box.

3 Pour half the batter into the pan and bake for 15 minutes.

4 Remove pan from oven and distribute candy bar slices evenly over cake. 5 Pour remaining batter over candy bars, making sure to cover all slices evenly.

6 Return pan to oven and bake for another 30-35 minutes, or until cake tests done.

7 Remove from oven and cool, then frost with your favorite chocolate frosting. Sprinkle additional chopped snicker's bars over frosting and serve at room temperature.
    This sounds so good that I want to try it after my kitchen is put back together

Quote Originally Posted by KittyMomma View Post
    This sounds so good that I want to try it after my kitchen is put back together
    I don't much cooking at all anymore, but I have a gazillion recipes. If this is the right one that I remember, it is extremely chocolatey, chewy, and gooey!

Quick Chocolate Frosting

Yield: 1 cup
    Nutrition: See Below
    Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 0 Minutes

Ingredients

2 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened chocolate
    1 (14 oz.) Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
    Dash salt
    1 tablespoon water
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions

MELT chocolate with sweetened condensed milk and salt in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes.

REMOVE from heat. Stir in water. Cool. Stir in vanilla.

Frosts 12 cupcakes, one 8-inch two-layer cake or one 13 x 9-inch cake.

---------------------------------------------------------------0r--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, here is the same recipe with a little variation. You are on your own with cooking time and the amount of water, etc.

Magic Quick Chocolate Frosting

Makes about 1-1/2 cups frosting

Ingredients
    1 (14-ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
    2 (1-ounce) squares semisweet or unsweetened chocolate
    Dash salt
    3 tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. In heavy saucepan, over medium heat, combine EAGLE BRAND®, chocolate and salt. Cook and stir rapidly until chocolate melts and mixture thickens, about 8 minutes.

2. Remove from heat; stir in water and vanilla. Cook and stir rapidly until thickened again, about 4 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.

3. Use to frost 1 (8- or 9-inch) two-layer or 1 (13×9-inch) cake or 2 dozen cupcakes. Store at room temperature.

EAGLE BRAND®

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

Well, after some searching and thought, I think I'm gonna go with your's, Mstini... Thank you so much! I'll let you know how he likes it! His birthday is 12/27, so it depends on several things whether I actually make it or not.

Thank you everyone!
    Pray hard, do your best,

Let us know how it comes out!! That will be quite the cake. He should love it.