Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison

Default Venison

I know that there are people out there who are a whole lot more experienced that I at processing venison.
    What is worth keeping?
    Do you put anything in venison stock for canning?
    I have over 40 nuisance deer in my pasture.

My son cuts the backstrap into filets, puts bacon around them and grills them. Most of the rest is burger or sliced for jerky.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Last month I put 2 deer in the freezer, and 3 55-gallon drums of meat and bones for the dogs (got free from the processor). The two I put in the freezer I packaged this way:

• Tenderloin (backstrap) -- Packaged separately. You can slice it into little silver-dollar steaks and grill, or wrap in bacon and bake in the oven.
    • Roasts -- Any chunk of meat that can be removed from the bone and is of decent size for a roast. I sear it on both sides in a little bacon grease, then put it in my cast iron pot, along with copious amounts of potatoes, carrots, onions, and seasonings, put the lid on, and simmer over the fire for about 2 hours.
    • Everything else I cut up as stew meat. When I'm ready to use it, I have the option of grinding it into hamburger (for burgers), dicing it smaller (for spaghetti or chili), or cooking it in a stew.

A little bacon or bacon grease, and some good seasonings, and a properly killed deer (a clean kill with no panic just before they die) tastes like beef.
    Last edited by grower; 12-06-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: clarity
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Steak and baloney (or burger) won't leave you much else
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

I canned up around 40 pounds of venison a few weeks ago.... mainly the forequarters that I'd been saving for summer sausage.

I cut it into large cubes and browned them in a large skillet, then put the meat in quart jars. Next I deglazed the pans, mixed up the broth with a little water and used that to add to the jars along with a dash of salt to get to the proper headspace.

Canned it per the book, and it was most delicious.

Very much like slow cooked roast. I reheated the first batch in a pan and added some powdered mustard and a dash of wine to the gravy and served over rice.

Most delicious, indeed.

If you were close geographically, I'd be happy to remove those pesky pests.....
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    Last month I put 2 deer in the freezer, and 3 55-gallon drums of meat and bones for the dogs (got free from the processor). The two I put in the freezer I packaged this way:

• Tenderloin (backstrap) -- Packaged separately. You can slice it into little silver-dollar steaks and grill, or wrap in bacon and bake in the oven.
    • Roasts -- Any chunk of meat that can be removed from the bone and is of decent size for a roast. I sear it on both sides in a little bacon grease, then put it in my cast iron pot, along with copious amounts of potatoes, carrots, onions, and seasonings, put the lid on, and simmer over the fire for about 2 hours.
    • Everything else I cut up as stew meat. When I'm ready to use it, I have the option of grinding it into hamburger (for burgers), dicing it smaller (for spaghetti or chili), or cooking it in a stew.

A little bacon or bacon grease, and some good seasonings, and a properly killed deer (a clean kill with no panic just before they die) tastes like beef.
    That's pretty much the same as we do also. After hanging it for a few days, we cut out the backstrap and package it up. Then we do roasts, then we cut some steaks from the smaller parts of the meat that's left. We tenderizer the steaks b4 we freeze them, just easier for us to do it right then. With the rest of the small pieces that r left, we chop it into some stew meat and the rest goes through the meat grinder with bacon added to make burger. Since we are limited on space, if we end up with 3 deer, we take it to our local processor for summer sausage.

She

I don't cut a lot of roasts from deer with the exception of the neck--IMO a neck roast is one of the "better" cuts.
    We use a lot of ground deer and cut the backstrap for steak/chops and cube some steak from other parts
    If you have never had a neck roast you should try one
    The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but the newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

I just cut it up into small chunks and stew it. If the flavor is "strong" then make it in a tomato-based stew.

I love it pressure cooked as suggested by another poster.

Also remember to save any parts that you aren't interested in for your pets. They love the fresh meat and it's good for them. Especially the raw meaty bones.

If you don't have pets, then there are plenty of people on craigslist who will happily take the bones and unwanted parts off your hands for raw feeding their pets.

I throw the bones and fat out to my chickens. They love it.

The strong flavor in meat is mostly found in the fat. Take off the fat while you are cutting and trimming and you will have some nice meat.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis