Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there an Armory near you

Default Is there an Armory near you

Is there an Armory near you and does it fit? Otherwise is your area large enough it should warrant one?

I live in Pitt County, NC and we have a fairly large one called Armed Forces Center. This is Podunk, USA and it does not fit.

We have multiple Military Bases near us and all equipment would normally be stored there.

This Armory is fairly large and has been being stocked (now to the point it is full) over the past year with all types of vehicles, equipment, and light armor. Things that you would not normally see in a small out of the way location.

This is not a NG unit and I have never seen anyone deploy from there, and I go by there a great deal.

There is a small housing development next to it that has never grown, and my first thought on that is that it houses the people that would man the Armory.

So let us know if there are any in your area and what you think of them. Thanks.

How would one go about finding that out? Web searches have turned up little. I saw a listing once for a National Guard armory near me but there seemed to be almost nothing, and no one, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    How would one go about finding that out? Web searches have turned up little. I saw a listing once for a National Guard armory near me but there seemed to be almost nothing, and no one, there.
    I don't know how we could find out where each one is. This one is not hidden but most would not think anything of it since Eastern NC is a Military hub. But it just does not fit so it sticks out to me. There are five bases near us that would store this type of equipment.

Armories by it's nature usually don't advertise unit.

However.

National Gaurd Armories and those owned by the State and able to deploy into war with Federal Troops are usually marked unit, sub unit and branch.

For example.

39th Btln. HQ Inf and in the rear of the armory is a collection of motor pool as used by this HQ unit in Iraq and other tours since 9-11.

If you have a Armory that is generally empty or unmanned then it should contain a radio that constantly listens to the Pentagon for communications in time of war or surprise attack.

If you have a facility that is new and is gaining equipment that really does not fit or are of a not exactly a natural expected equipment for the area and has nothing posted.. then you may have something there.

Such equiptment should be moving in and out regularly, changing in parking spots each time and perhaps even showing wear and tear. camo changes or other signs of actual human use.

There is generally a armory within the building that holds the small arms weapons and other useful things that are kept safe until needed by the unit. But not everything is kept there. The Military does a good job of making sure that for example... tank rounds are not kept with tanks so that a nut from the village can actually steal a tank, upload into the Chamber and blast the first LEO into the next lift with a 120mm round.

That would be too unsecure.

Wow looks like they are stocking up and getting ready for something.

Wonder that something would be?

Will have to check the ones in my area out,I live in Mi. and we have lots spread across the state.

The armory in our town was closed several years ago and is slated for demolition. The others that I know of are very low profile, and hardly ever have more than a few cars in the lot. I've noticed that recruiting stations have been moving to now-unused space in some armories in southern Maine. No build-up of equipment or people that I've noticed.
    Collapse now and avoid the rush!

I just pulled ours up on Google Earth and in June 2011 the lot was maybe 1/8 full, now it is full to the max. It has been filling up for some time now. Now is this some evil planning? I don't know what it is, but I would like to know if it is happening in other areas of the Country. Too much hardware for Podunk.

How close are you to D.C. sijhenderson

Quote Originally Posted by dogmanan View Post
    How close are you to D.C. sijhenderson
    About four hours by road. So maybe 220 miles. South of DC.

possibly has to do with the draw down of troops in afghanistan.. all that equipment has to be stored somewhere,,they cant leave it all behind..