Thread: West Point center cites dangers of ‘far right’ in U.S

Default West Point center cites dangers of ‘far right’ in U.S

West Point center cites dangers of ‘far right’ in U.S.

By Rowan Scarborough
    The Washington Times
    Thursday, January 17, 2013

A West Point think tank has issued a paper warning America about “far right” groups such as the “anti-federalist” movement, which supports “civil activism, individual freedoms and self-government.”

The report issued this week by the Combating Terrorism Center at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., is titled “Challengers from the Sidelines: Understanding America’s Violent Far-Right.”

The center — part of the institution where men and women are molded into Army officers — posted the report Tuesday. It lumps limited government activists with three movements it identifies as “a racist/white supremacy movement, an anti-federalist movement and a fundamentalist movement.”

The West Point center typically focuses reports on al Qaeda and other Islamic extremists attempting to gain power in Asia, the Middle East and Africa through violence.

But its latest study turns inward and paints a broad brush of people it considers “far right.”

It says anti-federalists “espouse strong convictions regarding the federal government, believing it to be corrupt and tyrannical, with a natural tendency to intrude on individuals’ civil and constitutional rights. Finally, they support civil activism, individual freedoms, and self government.

Extremists in the anti-federalist movement direct most their violence against the federal government and its proxies in law enforcement.”

The report also draws a link between the mainstream conservative movement and the violent “far right,” and describes liberals as “future oriented” and conservatives as living in the past.

“While liberal worldviews are future- or progressive -oriented, conservative perspectives are more past-oriented, and in general, are interested in preserving the status quo.” the report says. “The far right represents a more extreme version of conservatism, as its political vision is usually justified by the aspiration to restore or preserve values and practices that are part of the idealized historical heritage of the nation or ethnic community.”

The report adds: “While far-right groups’ ideology is designed to exclude minorities and foreigners, the liberal-democratic system is designed to emphasize civil rights, minority rights and the balance of power.”

The report says there were 350 “attacks initiated by far-right groups/individuals” in 2011.

Details about what makes an attack a “far right” action are not clear in the report, which was written by Arie Perliger, who directs the center’s terrorism studies and teaches social sciences at West Point.

Link to article:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-far-right-us/

Link to actual study (PDF)

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/wp-content/u...eSidelines.pdf
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Police dog 1, bad guy nothin':

That idiotic screed reads as though the primary source was that doofus in Alabama with his SPLC deal. That guy sees anybody with any sort of firearm as a terrorist.
    You're from BATFE? Come right in! I use all your fine products!

So, the military would "NEVER" follow orders to disarm or detain American's huh? Clinging to the naive notion that our military industrial complex & it's "Employees" hold some allegiance to the U.S. constitution is dangerous at best. Our republic was not created with the intentions of maintaining a standing military. The way people these days bow to the U.S. armed forces, as if they could do no wrong, is down right foolish! The U.S. military, as a whole, belongs to the power structure at the UN & in Washington. The people are but an after thought, I think this article proves that.
    "Precedent Does Not Constitute Justification"

"The preservation of liberty through morality"

Now that our illustrious military has so completely destroyed Al Qaeda they needed a new boogie man. It's just our turn, that's all.
    "The employment of the piano is forbidden in church, as is also that of noisy frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, bells and the like." St. Pius X

The far right IS dangerous to those wantonly abandoning the Constitution. And they SHOULD be scared.

A lot of people want their country back.
    "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for,
    another person must work for without receiving."Adrian Rogers, 1931

Brain washed just don't know that they were and what the truth really is.
    These young people are a perfect example.

I would love to see the cataloged 350 incidents. I think this is the deepest BS I've had the displeasure of reading since the MIAC report.
    We are being demonized by the Goebbels of our time.
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

Quote Originally Posted by merovingian View Post
    i would love to see the cataloged 350 incidents. I think this is the deepest bs i've had the displeasure of reading since the miac report.
    We are being demonized by the goebbels of our time.
    + 100

Quote Originally Posted by merovingian View Post
    I would love to see the cataloged 350 incidents. I think this is the deepest BS I've had the displeasure of reading since the MIAC report.
    We are being demonized by the Goebbels of our time.
    Exactly right. I heard about this last night; Mark Levin talked about it. It's too bad to say the least. And to think our tax dollars are funding this garbage. (Well our debt dollars are anyway)