Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: denominatinal fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
    Acts1

[15] In those days Peter stood up among the brethren (the company of persons was in all about a hundred and twenty), and said,
    [16] "Brethren, the scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand by the mouth of David, concerning Judas who was guide to those who arrested Jesus.
    [17] For he was numbered among us, and was allotted his share in this ministry.
    [18] (Now this man bought a field with the reward of his wickedness; and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out.
    [19] And it became known to all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the field was called in their language Akel'dama, that is, Field of Blood.)
    [20] For it is written in the book of Psalms, `Let his habitation become desolate,
    and let there be no one to live in it'; and `His office let another take.'
    [21] So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
    [22] beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us -- one of these men must become with us a witness to his resurrection."
    [23] And they put forward two, Joseph called Barsab'bas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthi'as.
    [24] And they prayed and said, "Lord, who knowest the hearts of all men, show which one of these two thou hast chosen
    [25] to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside, to go to his own place."
    [26] And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthi'as; and he was enrolled with the eleven apostles.
    Matthias replaced him, plain and simple. Just as has gone on for thousands of years as people move, get sick, retire, resign, die. This is no special event. This does not prove a succession of Apostles. You read more into it than is actually there.
    "When Christ uttered the cry, 'It is finished,' he knew that the battle was won. As a moral conqueror, he planted his banner on the eternal heights. Was there not joy among the angels? Not a son nor a daughter of Adam but could now lay hold on the merits of the spotless son of God, and say: 'Christ has died for me. He is my saviour...'" - Ellen G. White.

Rose in all kindness ... Your understanding in scripture is lacking .... You do not understand the Old Testament meaning of an 'Office" that must be filled ... As stated in ACTS ....
    And apparently you the same. True, I don't understand your meaning of 'Office." I have my own understanding based upon my study of scripture. We, unfortunately, will never come to an agreement.

My definition of church, authority, interpretation of scricture, etc. will never be in total agreement with yours/the Catholic Church.

Don't have the scripture text before me, but the Bible says to study to shew thyself approved unto God. It says that I should study. My approval by God is the result of my study, not the Catholic Church's. It does not say, bow to the Catholic Church and believe everything they say and teach.
    "When Christ uttered the cry, 'It is finished,' he knew that the battle was won. As a moral conqueror, he planted his banner on the eternal heights. Was there not joy among the angels? Not a son nor a daughter of Adam but could now lay hold on the merits of the spotless son of God, and say: 'Christ has died for me. He is my saviour...'" - Ellen G. White.

And yet Paul teaches us ....[27]Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. (1cor11)

So is Paul wrong or your interpretation ?
    i do not interpret anything. i simply wrote the exact words of the gospel. the cup and bread are related to the body and blood, but you will not find Paul saying they ARE the body and blood. Drinking blood is against scripture in more than one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Rose View Post
    Matthias replaced him, plain and simple. Just as has gone on for thousands of years as people move, get sick, retire, resign, die. This is no special event. This does not prove a succession of Apostles. You read more into it than is actually there.
    2Thes 2:15 [15] So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

Scripture was never meant to stand alone ... It wasn't until 500 years ago.

And apparently you the same. True, I don't understand your meaning of 'Office." I have my own understanding based upon my study of scripture. We, unfortunately, will never come to an agreement.

My definition of church, authority, interpretation of scricture, etc. will never be in total agreement with yours/the Catholic Church.

Don't have the scripture text before me, but the Bible says to study to shew thyself approved unto God. It says that I should study. My approval by God is the result of my study, not the Catholic Church's. It does not say, bow to the Catholic Church and believe everything they say and teach.
    So who's understanding of Scripture is correct ? Yours ..Wallflehouses ...Reb's ? There has to be one Truth ....There has to be one way ...

That is why personal interpretation will never work .. and why God left us an Authority and a Church.

2Thes 2:15 [15] So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

Scripture was never meant to stand alone ... It wasn't until 500 years ago.
    The traditions Paul referred to are taught in Scripture. The Catholic Church has added traditions which bear no resemblance to Bible teachings. If we are told to study Scripture to be approved by God, then Scripture is all we need - not additional traditions of any church - especially when those traditions do not agree with Scripture.

Scripture was never meant to stand alone ...
    i find it interesting that the people who advocate this position always have either another book or someone in an elevated position who MUST explain it to them.

deuteronomy 30
    11 “For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off.
    12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’
    13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’
    14 But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.

What part of oral Traditions do you not understand ? Oral Traditions that are to be followed and are not in Scripture ? You know all the Oral Traditions Paul taught that are not in Scripture ?

What part of ....15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Scripture teaches the Church has the fullness of Truth not Scripture.

What part of oral Traditions do you not understand ? Oral Traditions that are to be followed and are not in Scripture ? You know all the Oral Traditions Paul taught that are not in Scripture ?

What part of ....15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Scripture teaches the Church has the fullness of Truth not Scripture.
    Okay, I see that Paul spoke of oral traditions. They were taught by Paul to those in Thessalonica. Nowhere do the Scriptures refer to the Catholic Church as THE church to carry on, especially when many of their "traditions" defy God, do not agree with Scripture, etc.

Again, we each are to study Scripture to learn for ourselves.

You ask the question as to whether I know the traditions which Paul taught. No they are not written down. And no, the Catholic Church did not exist in the time of Paul and has no Biblical claim to teach Paul's traditions. And I know we won't agree on this. So be it.

Okay, I see that Paul spoke of oral traditions. They were taught by Paul to those in Thessalonica. Nowhere do the Scriptures refer to the Catholic Church as THE church to carry on, especially when many of their "traditions" defy God, do not agree with Scripture, etc.

Again, we each are to study Scripture to learn for ourselves.

You ask the question as to whether I know the traditions which Paul taught. No they are not written down. And no, the Catholic Church did not exist in the time of Paul and has no Biblical claim to teach Paul's traditions. And I know we won't agree on this. So be it.
    Rose again ... You do not know enough about or understand anything about the Catholic Church to say they defy God ....