Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: 'Adventurous woman' to give birth to Neanderthal man

Default Wanted: 'Adventurous woman' to give birth to Neanderthal man

Wanted: 'Adventurous woman' to give birth to Neanderthal man - Harvard professor seeks mother for cloned cave baby

• Professor George Church of Harvard Medical School believes he can reconstruct Neanderthal DNA
    • His ambitious plan requires a human volunteer willing to allow the DNA to be put into stem cells, then a human embryo

By Allan Hall and Fiona Macrae
    PUBLISHED: 10:36 EST, 20 January 2013 | UPDATED: 04:16 EST, 21 January 2013

Neanderthals have been extinct for 33,000 years, but George Church, a genetics professor at Harvard Medical School, believes he can bring them back with the help of a surrogate human mother.

They're usually thought of as a brutish, primitive species.
    So what woman would want to give birth to a Neanderthal baby?
    Yet this incredible scenario is the plan of one of the world’s leading geneticists, who is seeking a volunteer to help bring man’s long-extinct close relative back to life.

Professor George Church of Harvard Medical School believes he can reconstruct Neanderthal DNA and resurrect the species which became extinct 33,000 years ago.
    His scheme is reminiscent of Jurassic Park but, while in the film dinosaurs were created in a laboratory, Professor Church’s ambitious plan requires a human volunteer.
    He said his analysis of Neanderthal genetic code using samples from bones is complete enough to reconstruct their DNA.
    He said: ‘Now I need an adventurous female human.
    ‘It depends on a hell of a lot of things, but I think it can be done.’
    Professor Church’s plan would begin by artificially creating Neanderthal DNA based on genetic code found in fossil remains. He would put this DNA into stem cells.
    These would be injected into cells from a human embryo in the early stages of life.
    It is thought that the stem cells would steer the development of the hybrid embryo on Neanderthal lines, rather than human ones.

After growing in the lab for a few days, the ‘neo-Neanderthal’ embryo would be implanted in the womb of a surrogate mother – the volunteer. Professor Church, 58, is a pioneer in synthetic biology who helped initiate the Human Genome Project that mapped our DNA.

Big ideas: Contrary to belief, Neanderthals had a larger brain size and may have been more intelligent than humans

Bringing the past alive: A scene from the film Jurassic Park, which suggested dinosaurs could be recreated through DNA trapped in amber

He says Neanderthals were not the lumbering brutes of the stereotype, but highly intelligent. Their brains were roughly the same size as man’s, and they made primitive tools.

Cloning the caveman: Geneticist Professor George Church

He believes his project could benefit mankind.
    He told German magazine Der Spiegel: ‘Neanderthals might think differently than we do. They could even be more intelligent than us.
    ‘When the time comes to deal with an epidemic or getting off the planet, it’s conceivable that their way of thinking could be beneficial.’
    Scientists say that his plan is theoretically possible, although in Britain, like most countries, human reproductive cloning is a criminal offence.
    But Professor Church’s proposal is so cutting-edge that it may not be covered by existing laws.
    However, experts worry that neo-Neanderthals might lack the immunity to modern diseases to survive, and some fear that the process might lead to deformity.
    There is also uncertainty over how they would fit into today’s world. Bioethicist Bernard Rollin of Colorado State University said: ‘I don’t think it’s fair to put people... into a circumstance where they are going to be mocked and possibly feared.’

Continued:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

My wife said she can beat that ... she married one.

That neanderthal picture does sort of look like my Cousin Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by miradus View Post
    my wife said she can beat that ... She married one.

That neanderthal picture does sort of look like my cousin ray.
    lol!

If you are reading this. You are the resistance.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

He believes his project could benefit mankind.
    He told German magazine Der Spiegel: ‘Neanderthals might think differently than we do. They could even be more intelligent than us.
    ‘When the time comes to deal with an epidemic or getting off the planet, it’s conceivable that their way of thinking could be beneficial.’

That's a crock. He wants to do it for the same reason every juvenile male that ever made Funniest Home Videos with a trampoline did what they did.....Hey, this'll be so cool!

This will not end well. (Didn't he even watch the show?)
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Satan is loving the smell of the hubris...

As I said on another forum, I really think this is partly a way to get around the ban on "human" cloning via the back door. It is becoming increasingly obvious, that as I have always suspected (having a "perfect" Neanderthal skull myself, per my anthropology teacher in the 1970's who nearly dropped his of instruments) Neanderthals are simply another version of human; with huge numbers of Europeans and Asians carrying their genetic material around with them.

And some of that DNA is for very "human" things like Red Hair, among others (closer than the stuff we share we chimps and other primates).

So, to get around the human cloning ban, you "clone" an older version of a human being and excuse it on the basis that it isn't a modern human. Then when push comes to shove and the poor individual has to be put in some category of course they are declared human (probably by a court if it even went that far).

So, not only does the scientist hope for a Nobel prize for reviving "old" DNA as a clone (no easy feat, they have been trying this with Mammoths for years now and not managed it) but he will have broken open the door to human cloning in general.

Frankly, until they solve the "old" gene problem in mammal I think that cloning humans is a very unethical thing to do. It turns out that (at least sometimes) a clone may have the same genetic "age" as the person providing the original cell. If that person is 50 years old, the baby may have a "cell age" of 50 years; I have no problem doing with lab animals as long as they are well treated (like Carbon Copy the Kitty and darling pet of her laboratory) but to do so to a human, modern of ancient would be a really nasty thing to do.

Otherwise, clones are pretty much just genetic identical twins and would have their own personalities and probably "souls" (for lack of a better word) just like any other identical twins.

This Neanderthal, should he/she ever be created, would simply be the genetic twin of someone who lived thousands of years ago but would think like a modern person being raised in the 21st century, though perhaps somewhat stronger and more intelligent than most.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

They've already gotten pretty close . . .

All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

wouldn't it be easier, and less expensive, to simply line breed for a neanderthal than cloning one? IIRC it's the Tuscany area of Italy that has the highest percentage of genetic neanderthals with the viet nam up into Korea and Japan being the second highest percentage of genetic neanderthals.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

This is weird (and IMO wrong) on so many levels:
    • what future would exist for... it(?), a lifetime of being studied (meaning no freedom)?
    • Do we release it into society? What potential does it have to live "outside of captivity"?
    • If released, would it pose a danger to homo sapiens sapiens?
    • We are over-populated as it is. Why are we growing more in the lab?
    • What about health risks to the surrogate mother?
    • What about health risks to the... I'm not sure what to call it?
    • If it is not Homo sapiens sapiens, what rights will it have? Human? Animal? What precedent does that set?
    • Do we establish a DNA criteria to determine who is human and who is not?
    I have no doubt a lengthy list can, and should, be compiled.
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12
    • Pray
    • Prep
    • Patience

Quote Originally Posted by Silverheart View Post
    This is weird (and IMO wrong) on so many levels:
    • what future would exist for... it(?), a lifetime of being studied (meaning no freedom)?
    • Do we release it into society? What potential does it have to live "outside of captivity"?
    • If released, would it pose a danger to homo sapiens sapiens?
    • We are over-populated as it is. Why are we growing more in the lab?
    • What about health risks to the surrogate mother?
    • What about health risks to the... I'm not sure what to call it?
    • If it is not Homo sapiens sapiens, what rights will it have? Human? Animal? What precedent does that set?
    • Do we establish a DNA criteria to determine who is human and who is not?
    I have no doubt a lengthy list can, and should, be compiled.
    to anwser your questions this is more of Hitler's plan for a superior race.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.