Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Stock Market Crash of 1999 repeats in 2013 by John Galt

Quote Originally Posted by johngaltfla View Post
    Those at the bottom of the economy starve to death first. Food becomes very, very, very scarce if a full blown economic depression occurs again.
    "Remember, if all else fails, your co-workers are edible" - Dilbert motivational poster by the holy profit Scott Adams

John Halt, I'm aware of those characteristics. My inquiry is what causes are present to Night Drivers friends experience that lead those at the bottom to be especially scared now. For instance, Ive read many articles of soup kitchens having fewer donations than normal, but I've read them for several years now.

I'm wondering if there are recently worsening conditions.

Thank you.
    Border Collie
    On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Border Collie View Post
    John Halt, I'm aware of those characteristics. My inquiry is what causes are present to Night Drivers friends experience that lead those at the bottom to be especially scared now. For instance, Ive read many articles of soup kitchens having fewer donations than normal, but I've read them for several years now.

I'm wondering if there are recently worsening conditions.

Thank you.
    Border Collie
    Yes. In our region the safety net is full of holes and the churches overwhelmed. I think the difference between now and 2008 is that during that time period there was a civilian support net. IMHO, it won't be there this time if the economy collapses hard.
    I've always wondered what the 1920's and 1930's were like, but I never wanted to see it from the German perspective.....

www.johngaltfla.com

Quote Originally Posted by Border Collie View Post
    This is interesting. WHY would they be getting scared?
    Are soup kitchens or overnight beds more short supply or more in demand than every before?

If they're living on the bottom of the economy as you describe, than what's different now than has been true other times, such as seasons or years of short term shortages in AID in various forms?

Can you be more specific in the indication that have the folks at the bottom of the economic ladder more scared than they might be scared from time to time during the previous several years?

Thank you very much.
    Border Collie
    Not only are they more in demand, but federal regulations are getting absolutely ridiculous for those that are feeding the poor. There's a risk that at the time of most need; some will have to shut down because they can't afford to completely revamp to meet the regs.

This post is a good example of the kind of insanity that is going on out there:
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...d.php?t=179586

Quote Originally Posted by susie0884 View Post
    Not only are they more in demand, but federal regulations are getting absolutely ridiculous for those that are feeding the poor. There's a risk that at the time of most need; some will have to shut down because they can't afford to completely revamp to meet the regs.

This post is a good example of the kind of insanity that is going on out there:
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...d.php?t=179586
    A very old friend of mine runs a weekly food-for-the-poor event. I won't go into much more detail, as I don't want him hounded. The people that he serves are those that will not go to shelters; will not go to missions; will not clean themselves up; will not quit abusing.

I'm not judging, that's just what he decided to do. Those people need to eat too. He spends hundreds of dollars a week on this, if not more.

When a FDA inspector happened to be driving by, saw the event (this is in a downtown area, literally underneath a freeway), the FDA agent stopped and tried to shut it down.

Inspector was damned lucky to escape with his life. No other problems have occurred since. The local officials quietly condone the community service; no one's become ill as a result of the charity; no permits are applied for or given.

Sometimes, you just need to tell the Man to FOAD.