Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a biscuit recipe...

Default Looking for a biscuit recipe...

to replace my current cannonballs...
    I'm a pretty fair hand in the kitchen, but so far, I can't find a biscuit recipe that I can make...
    Ideally, I'm looking for something along the lines of the Grands Flaky biscuits.
    Actually, I can do a passable drop biscuit, but the family (and me) really love those flaky biscuits in the can.
    And since I'm trying to get away from prepared stuff, this recipe would be a good addition to my cooking chops.
    Anyone have anything like this?
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

for me when making baking powder biscuits the "trick" is to NOT mix/beat too much - makes them tough. Same with pie crust. Just enough to get everything mixed and damp then pat/roll gently but quickly, and cut and bake.

My internet is acting up bigtime right now, so I'm not having any luck. However, if you go to http://www.kingarthurflour.com and search for a biscuit recipe, I suspect you'll find one which will suit you, and there likely will be tips (like goatlady correctly suggests) about how to ensure they are light and flaky.

One thing which can REALLY make a difference is to use VERY cold butter. Cut it into 1/4" cubes (approximately... they can be thinner, say 1/4" square, but 1/8" thick). And mix them into the flour/salt/baking powder blend so they are all completely coated with flour, but don't "cream" them into the flour. Add the liquid and mix until JUST blended... you don't want loose pockets of flour, but it should be lumpy and sort of rough looking.

FWIW, the King Arthur Flour site is THE best site on the 'net for great (tested!!) recipes, and all the little tricks and tips that many didn't learn at their mother's knee in the kitchen, but which make ALL the difference in the end result.

Summerthyme

sorry, dupe

I'm off to the site now.... thanks much!
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

You might check out a recipe for angel biscuits.

Here's one from a friend. It's the best ever!

Pre-heat oven to 465

2 cups unbleached flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 TBSP sugar
    1 tsp sale

Cut in 3 TBSP shortening or lard

Add 1+ cup buttermilk. (Add slowly; could be more or less)

Cut biscuits with cutter or mouth of jar. Place in cast iron skillet with sides of biscuits touching. Top each biscuit with lump of butter (1/4 tsp or so)

Bake for 15 minutes.

If not using buttermilk, us 2 1/2 tsp baking powder instead of soda and powder.

Don't work the dough much. Just mix, place on floured surface, roll out and cut. Biscuits should be at least 1/2" thick when cutting.

If you give this a try, let me know your results. We're just crazy about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho1 View Post
    Here's one from a friend. It's the best ever!

Pre-heat oven to 465

2 cups unbleached flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 TBSP sugar
    1 tsp sale

Cut in 3 TBSP shortening or lard

Add 1+ cup buttermilk. (Add slowly; could be more or less)

Cut biscuits with cutter or mouth of jar. Place in cast iron skillet with sides of biscuits touching. Top each biscuit with lump of butter (1/4 tsp or so)

Bake for 15 minutes.

If not using buttermilk, us 2 1/2 tsp baking powder instead of soda and powder.

Don't work the dough much. Just mix, place on floured surface, roll out and cut. Biscuits should be at least 1/2" thick when cutting.

If you give this a try, let me know your results. We're just crazy about it!
    I got one from the King Arthur site that looks good, so I think I'll do this one and that one this weekend and try them both out.

Lycan, DW has an Amazon Prime account, so I'll get her to check that book out and give it a look.
    Barb, not familiar with angel biscuits.... have to look those up.

Thanks for the replies, gang.
    Thomas Payne

I don't have the kind of recipe you're looking for, BUT I'd venture to say that you probably want a recipe with a high fat content. From my understanding, it's the fat that makes all those lovely layers...worth experimenting with if you have the time.
    Deuteronomy 6:5-7 And thou shalt love YHWH thy Elohim with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.