Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a biscuit recipe...

Quote Originally Posted by liteluvr View Post
    to replace my current cannonballs...
    I'm a pretty fair hand in the kitchen, but so far, I can't find a biscuit recipe that I can make...
    Ideally, I'm looking for something along the lines of the Grands Flaky biscuits.
    Actually, I can do a passable drop biscuit, but the family (and me) really love those flaky biscuits in the can.
    And since I'm trying to get away from prepared stuff, this recipe would be a good addition to my cooking chops.
    Anyone have anything like this?
    Ummm...those are SO GOOD! lol, in fact, my guy considers them a treat when I do buy a can. He loves just about anything I make from scratch, but there is something about those biscuits to make them so darn good.

I hope someone here comes up with a recipe
    Pray hard, do your best,
    God will handle all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by deuteronomy67 View Post
    I don't have the kind of recipe you're looking for, BUT I'd venture to say that you probably want a recipe with a high fat content. From my understanding, it's the fat that makes all those lovely layers...worth experimenting with if you have the time.
    I think you're right. The layers even look buttery when you pull them apart. Probably a bunch of scary chemicals does that and we just don't need to know right now, do we? Lol...
    Pray hard, do your best,
    God will handle all the rest.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Here's my biscuit recipe:

3 cups self-rising flour (King Arthur is best)
    1 stick cold butter
    1 cup (more or less) milk

Pre-heat oven to 500F.
    Sift flour into large bowl.
    Grate butter into flour (or cut it with a heavy fork) -- there will be small lumps, but that's okay.
    Stir in milk. Stir thoroughly with fork until only slightly sticky. If it's too dry to press into a ball, add a little more milk. If it's too sticky to work, add a little flour.
    Flour a flat surface (counter top or table). Roll or press the dough out, to about 1 inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour. Place biscuits on cookie tin, not touching each other. Put in oven, and turn heat down to 450 or 425. Bake until golden brown on top (10-15 minutes). Slice and butter. Makes about a dozen.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

I make biscuits from scratch all the time. But hubby also likes those layered biscuits. What would happen if you rolled out the dough to 1/4 inch and cut that then layered 3 or 4 layers together before baking? Guess I will have to try it. lol
    Maybe put a dash of butter between layers?
    Taz

I want a set of these! Evidently if you use a sharp biscuit cutter, your biscuits raise higher!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...ters-round-set

Hallelujah!
    Jesus, you have overcome the World!

Every high place must come down,
    Every stronghold shall be broken,
    You wear the Victor's Crown!
    You've overcome!
    You've overcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKmLKSQCydA

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Limner View Post
    I want a set of these! Evidently if you use a sharp biscuit cutter, your biscuits raise higher!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...ters-round-set
    I think that's true! Last night, my daughter made biscuits, and she uses biscuit cutters, and I noticed how nice and tall her biscuits stood! Wow...learn something new every day!

Hey, look what I found at the link:
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...ers-square-set

Apparently, you can make square biscuits, too!
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Bakewell cream, Look for it in the bakeing section of your market.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...ell-cream-8-oz
    It's late, things are headed for the crapper and there is no stopping it. It's just too early to shoot the bastards responsible.

There is a storm comming.

My Fanny Farmer cookbook has a recipe called "Pinwheel Biscuits." It calls for rolling the dough into an oblong 1/4" thick, spreading it with melted butter, rolling it like a jelly roll, slicing and baking. I have a feeling that would give the layered effect.
    I also found that when I used lard instead of butter the biscuits were flakier and rose higher.

The Great Plains of one of the Dakotas...

Yes, sadly, it is the "fat" that makes those yummy lovely layers! I'm going to try these biscuits today!
    "Some stories are true that never happened"
    -- Eli Wiesel

And do use buttermilk if you have the option. It makes a better flavored and lighter biscuit.