Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a biscuit recipe...

Thanks again Summer. I have two catalogs now from KAF. I am drooling over some of the things in the catalogs. I just can't afford them right now but I think I will indulge in the lemon (addition in a jar ...sorry can't remember the name of it). My husband LOVES lemon everything. Look at the date on your baking soda as well as your baking powder! I was ashamed when my baking soda was about 4 years too old . Think that might make a difference??

AL- baking SODA lasts pretty much forever, as long as it's kept dry. No problem even with very old soda.

Baking POWDER will lose it's "oomph" over time. If you aren't sure whether your ba king powder is still good, add a pinch to a little warm water- if you don't see bubbles, it's time to buy some new...

Summerthyme (who has baking powder from 2002 which still works fine- stored in a metal tin in our very cool basement- I bring up 1/2 cup at a time and put it into a small glass canning jar for kitchen use)

Adding buttermilk powder will help with the layers. Just a warning, the fat content makes lots of layers in more than biscuits. Use a good dose of running shoe usage to counteract that.

A couple of tips regarding biscuits. If you don't have buttermilk, then add a tsp of vinegar to your milk. It helps the rise like buttermilk does.

Secondly, don't knead the dough like you might with bread. Instead, after all the ingredients are put together, push the lump flat to about a half inch thick. Take one side and fold it over, push flat again, take another side and fold it over, push flat. Do that for about 5 or 6 times and it helps with making the ''layers''. Then, roll out the dough as thick as you want to. Anywhere from half inch thick to 3/4 inch thick, cut your biscuits. With a pastry brush, smear the top of each bisquit with melted butter, and bake.

Y'all know the difference between butter and margarine, right??? Makes a huge difference.
    As an American you have the right to not believe in guns. You also have the right to not believe in God. But if someone is trying to break into your home, or wants to harm you, the first thing you will do is pick up the phone and call someone with a gun. The second thing you will do is pray that they get there in time. ~Don Moore