Thread: Once 'inconceivable,' Republican leaders sign pro-gay marriage brief

Default Once 'inconceivable,' Republican leaders sign pro-gay marriage brief

Once 'inconceivable,' Republican leaders sign pro-gay marriage brief

By Miranda Leitsinger, Staff Writer, NBC News
    Supporters of same-sex marriage hope for a boost this week when dozens of high-profile Republicans, many no longer in office, submit their legal argument to the Supreme Court on why gays and lesbians should be allowed to wed, bucking their party's platform in a move that one who had a change of heart on the issue said would “strengthen our nation as a whole.”

More than 80 Republicans are signatories to the "friend of the Court" brief to be filed in the case over Proposition 8, a California law banning same-sex marriage, according to the American Foundation for Equal Rights, which is waging the legal battle against the law. The nation’s high court will hear arguments in the case in late March. The New York Times first reported on the brief.

Credit: Stephen Lam / Reuters file
    Meg Whitman, HP's chief executive officer and president, at a meeting on Jan. 16. She says she has had a change of heart on the issue of gay marriage.

One scholar described the effort as “inconceivable” just two years ago, and one of the signers, former California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman, said in a blog that she had changed her mind on the issue, “like several others who have either sought or held public office, including President Obama.”

More:
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...age-brief?lite
    "But none of the wicked shall understand [that the End of the Age is upon them]."
    [Daniel 12:10b]

A Republicon sellout and capitulation is never "inconceivable." It's a sure thing.

It makes no difference which Politician I meet, They are just a face in the Crowd on a DEAD END Street...

selling out your values to get more voters is a lose-lose situation.

Look what voters you get. Since it is all about power, you might as well not have any values if you are going to position yourself where ever the wind blows
    "You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for,
    another person must work for without receiving."Adrian Rogers, 1931

Quote Originally Posted by dstraito View Post
    selling out your values to get more voters is a lose-lose situation.

Look what voters you get. Since it is all about power, you might as well not have any values if you are going to position yourself where ever the wind blows
    About half are no longer in office, and are free to say what they think.

Hmm..."same-sex marriage" and "inconceivable" in the same article.

http://stepstowardthemark.com
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System

Be fruitful and multiply....I know I'm supposed to be tolerant of others...But more than anything else our society has endured...I think the gay agenda will be our demise,...Yes I said GAY.........

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

WE need to divorce the LEGAL BENEFITS and RESPONSIBILITIES from the COMPACT and attach them where they belong, on the CONTRACT.
    AND we need to adjust Contract Law to allow the ONLY contract now not allowed, that of one person with another.

And we can look at minor variations (ref Heinlein et al) for short medium or long term or old style contract durations.

That way you or I can HAVE out Compact Marriage as WELL AS our Contracts, and others can have their contracts, since CONTRACTS would have no gender limits, while MARRIAGES would have One Man One Woman limits.

the difference would be that a CONTRACT would have all the "Benefits/Rights/etc" for ANY contract, regardless of WHO entered into it.
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/