Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "how to make your own patterns from your garments" book on sale

How in heck does this board post duplicates so often! Grr...

I got almost every pattern shape you can image in one late night outing with my Mom to Wallmart in 2001 - mostly in the 1 dollar section. I don't know if these patterns still exist (or what they cost if they do) but I spent about 35 dollars and brought back tons in my suitcase, my husband laughed at me as he couldn't figure out why I had things like PJ patterns, bathrobes etc.

I said, see that "that is a house-jumper but it is also an Italian Ren dress" or that "looks like PJ's but is also every size of a unisex tunic from XS to XXX for either regular wear or for costuming." Oh and that, "that's a swimsuit but it is also a women's bra and underwear pattern..."

He got the idea pretty quickly - I haven't used many of these in reality, but if I did actually have to sew everything for everyone, especially using left over and hand woven fabrics they would be priceless. Few items are all that tailored and most fit the rectangles and bands of traditional clothing and/or if they have darts use smaller amounts of fabric like the "bra" and "underwear."

Folkware patterns while very expensive can also be worth it, if you find some used grab them, if you see one you really want save up and buy it or see if you can find a friend who has one and make a copy.

Oh and I was in a big hurry earlier links for the Anne Budd Book of Handy Patterns both her sweater books are also good, but this is one is the "must have" for multiple sizes and gages of small things you really need. All sweaters in this book are knit "flat" (you could use a knitting machine for most) but if your a round knitter like me, most will adjust to that system.

I have a really old knitting machine but I find it cumbersome to use, I did make a complete sweeter in a weekend once using a friend's machine. In Europe they are called Knitting Looms and that really is what they are. The system is similar to using a floor or table loom (especially to make patterns) and while simple you can create some pretty high art on them, they get a bad rap from some knitters as "cheating" but used correctly they are anything but - besides in a survival situation, you want to do some home mass production (and possibly have some for sale) your knitting machine is good for that.

What it won't do, is give you a project to carry around while you cook or work on watching the baby settle in - simple knitting (like socks once you are used to them) can be nearly mindless and like spinning on a drop spindle can be done nearly anywhere (including while walking to market, to the lower pasture etc) this is one reason women never stopped spinning on drop spindles even after they had wheels. Wheels are faster, but you can't carry them with you as you walk down the road, a spindle or supported knitting needles, you can.

Agree also on the "gage" I have some lovely needles hand-made from cowbone but I had to measure each one of a huge stack to get 5 that "matched."
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Absolutely, the knitting machine isn't portable! No more than a good loom is...

Mine is a dual bed Passap... you can literally make a sweater in a couple hours... maybe double that if you have cables and other complex designs which require some handwork on each row. It threads itself in four passes of the carriage, can do ribbing, as well as lacework, intarsia, etc. It was NOT cheap (but it was a gift from my Mom, or I sure wouldn't have one).

The knitting "looms" you reference are actually a decent compromise between a very expensive machine, and knitting with 2 or more needles. I'm sure really expert knitters (which you are, I suspect) can actually knit faster with needles than the loom, but for newbies or those who just don't quite get the combination that gets those needles flashing, the looms can be wonderful.

As far as "cheating"... I just don't see it! No more than I see using a sewing machine to piece patchwork quilts as cheating (even if Jinny Beyer does sew all her patchwork by hand... if you haven't ever seen some of her quilts, google her- her use of light and color is still unmatched by anyone, IMHO)

Summerthyme

I need to find a "not really sewing...for the time impaired" manual! Never learned how to sew-though I DID try to teach myself as a child. Bought a pattern (halloween costume iirc)...carefully cut it out and pinned it to the fabric. Read "sew right sides together" and that was all she wrote! I was probably only about 7 at the time...but all I could think of was..."there's AREN'T TWO right sides...there's a right and a left". Put that one away and never saw it again, lol.

In the theater realm, I've used everything from superglue to stitch witch to hot glue guns to a simple stapler

At one time I had a full set of knitting needles AND crochet hooks in a very nice leather zippered holder....When I was told I was dying, I gave them away. . I'm ok with that I guess....seems like yarn is so BLOODY expensive, I have to think I could (for now at least) find things MUCH cheaper in a thrift store. SOCKS...however I would like to learn. My fiancee has a size 15 foot!

I just inherited a serger/overlock machine...It's sitting in a bedroom snickering at me when I walk past. Other than noting "I'm going to need a LOT more thread (any good sources on that?) for that thing...I haven't done much with it.

Buttons...I have a HUGE stash of buttons...especially for a non-sewer. I'll cruise through the goodwills clearance isles just looking for interesting buttons. Way cheaper that way for my uses.

I think I may be bringing potato sacks and sisal back into vogue if things get really bad!
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

PyratePrincess... you might find what you're looking for in one of the books written by Nancy Zieman, of "Nancy's Notions". www.nancysnotions.com

She has written several books, and has many DVD's, on everything from basic sewing to quilting to decorative stuff.

For thread, either www.connectingthreads.com (get on their mailing list, and then wait until they have a sale... they have 40% off at least a couple times a year) or www.threadart.com

It's a shame you aren't closer... I could get you well started in an afternoon, and once you've got the basics, it just isn't difficult. Sure, if you are making fully lined, tailored blazers or something... that gets complex. But there are TONS of "quick and easy" patterns available these days... you just need to learn the basic terminology.

Summerthyme

Princess, it is AMAZING the stuff you can find online right now.....complete with lts of photos (I'm a visual learner, so I appreciate those pics!). Set you up a pinterest account and get yo a stack of links to just look at! And don't start out on that serger machine. That is a recipe for frustration....

Hallelujah!
    Jesus, you have overcome the World!

Every high place must come down,
    Every stronghold shall be broken,
    You wear the Victor's Crown!
    You've overcome!
    You've overcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKmLKSQCydA

Thanks Ladies! Limner, someone else told me the SAME thing, which I appreciate...cause I probably would have started with that since it's brand new and the sewing machine seems to be having some issues.

Summer-speaking of patterns, is there any BRAND that you'd recommend over another for a beginner? I found a simple pencil skirt on pintrest I may try...I'd love to get by with sleevless blouses, but I hate my arms and typically wear at least a 3/4 sleeve top-so I guess that I'm doomed to having to learn how to set in a sleeve....yikes!

This may be a dumb question...but I see a LOT of NICE fabrics at the thrift stores....all WAY too big for me. They are typically around $2.00 blouse and same for skirts. I was thinking of buying a couple and trying to cut them down. Is that a recipe for disaster?

One thrift store is having a clearance next week and I thought I'd go look for several TYPES of clothing pieces from their 50cent bin to practice on. Just to get a feel for the different fabric types.....
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by PyratePrincess View Post
    Thanks Ladies! Limner, someone else told me the SAME thing, which I appreciate...cause I probably would have started with that since it's brand new and the sewing machine seems to be having some issues.

Summer-speaking of patterns, is there any BRAND that you'd recommend over another for a beginner? I found a simple pencil skirt on pintrest I may try...I'd love to get by with sleevless blouses, but I hate my arms and typically wear at least a 3/4 sleeve top-so I guess that I'm doomed to having to learn how to set in a sleeve....yikes!

This may be a dumb question...but I see a LOT of NICE fabrics at the thrift stores....all WAY too big for me. They are typically around $2.00 blouse and same for skirts. I was thinking of buying a couple and trying to cut them down. Is that a recipe for disaster?

One thrift store is having a clearance next week and I thought I'd go look for several TYPES of clothing pieces from their 50cent bin to practice on. Just to get a feel for the different fabric types.....
    Pyrate, I just saw this post! Did you get your thrift store treasures? If you're working with a simple a-line or straight skirt, cutting them down can be quite doable. Or if it's a gathered skirt, see if it has an elastic in a casing. My current favorite denim skirt is supposed to be for someone two sizes bigger than me, and purchased at our local thrift store. I just nipped a hole in the center front, put the skirt on, and then pulled up the elastic until it fit. Pinned and stitched the elastic, snipped the excess elastic, and presto. A "new" tiered skirt!

Hallelujah!
    Jesus, you have overcome the World!

Every high place must come down,
    Every stronghold shall be broken,
    You wear the Victor's Crown!
    You've overcome!
    You've overcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKmLKSQCydA