Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "how to make your own patterns from your garments" book on sale

Default "how to make your own patterns from your garments" book on sale

Guys... this book could be really useful in the preps, especially if you don't want to have to stock up on multiple patterns for all varieties and sizes of clothing.
    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ortby=ourPicks

It's a couple bucks off right now. Still rather expensive for a very small booklet, but IF the info works (I don't own this one... would like it sometime, but I DO have multiple patterns, etc stashed) it's worth it.

Learn how to "copy it." This clear and concise guide shows you how to create a pattern from a ready-to-wear garment without taking it apart. The illustrations, combined with Mary’s straightforward writing style, guides you through the process with ease.

More details from our Sewing Advisors:
    Includes directions for a camp shirt, tank top, pants, and skirt, plus other garment details such as darts, pleats, collars and more
    23 pages

Summerthyme

Thanks! That would be very useful in our house.

"I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Guys... this book could be really useful in the preps, especially if you don't want to have to stock up on multiple patterns for all varieties and sizes of clothing.
    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ortby=ourPicks

It's a couple bucks off right now. Still rather expensive for a very small booklet, but IF the info works (I don't own this one... would like it sometime, but I DO have multiple patterns, etc stashed) it's worth it.

Summerthyme
    Summer...I don't think you'd need that book as long as you have the garment to copy. You'd have to iron the garment, and lay each portion down flat, and add 5/8" allowance around the edge of each portion. Pants, (or shorts) would have 3 major pieces, one left leg front, one left leg rear (then turn them around for the right leg, front and back) and one band...that's it. The rear portion has a longer center seam than the front to accomodate the fanny.
    Dresses, are about the same...front on a fold (or one piece that you can turn to use on the other side, if there is a center seam for whatever reason), then two backs..left back and right back (in order to accomodate the zipper, if there is one) or one piece done on a fold, if it's a pullover type top..then make sure the fabric is stretchy, like jersey or something with spandex in it. Then the skirt, front and back...two fronts and two backs or one of each that can be turned over and used on the other side of the dress...all depending on the style you want to make. Obviously, if there is a zipper, you'd need two backs, one left back and one right back to accomdate the zipper or velcro or buttons. If it were me, I'd go ahead and make a paper pattern from the garment, so you can make changes to IT, rather than ruin precious fabric. I may go one step further, especially if you plan to make several of the same item, I'd take the paper pattern and use cheap old fabric to try to make a fabric pattern so you can see how it fits, then make the needed changes to the pattern, label each one and stash. Obviously, if you have a favorite article that you can no longer wear, I'd carefully rip the seams open, iron it flat and use that instead of making your own. Remember, the fabric is everything. I once took an old pair of capris, tore it apart and made new ones, EXCEPT the fabric I bought wasn't nearly as stretchy as the ones I had, so the new ones wouldn't fit me. So fabric is vital.. good luck, rosie
    ps, one thing further, if you like a dress, for instance, but it's sleeveless, and you hate sleeveless dresses, then pilfer the sleeve pattern from another dress and add new sleeves to you own design. Hate the neckline? use the pattern from another dress and design your own....done it many times...the only thing you really have to watch out for is the bias...make sure you're not putting fabric on the bias unless you need the stretch that bias has like arm interseams or neckline interseams....or the pattern could stretch too much and pucker. And using the right fabric for the job, is a must, altho you can also make your own fabric by combining square pieces from many other projects, sewing them into a line of squares, trimming them even, then sewing the lines together to form a patchwork fabric that is great for kids nighties or quilts or ??? I still have a quilt, almost 100 years old, that my grandmother made out of the old school dresses from my mom and her sisters. If my mom were alive today, she could point out HER dress in that quilt...cool to have and cool to pass down. good luck

thanks, Rosie...

Yes, I've been sewing since I was 9... I have collected a comprehensive collection of patterns for all the basics; most have been reinforced with iron-on interfacing, so I don't have to worry about them wearing out, either.

But not everyone is crazy like I am, or just aren't that interested in sewing for "fun". But IF things go south, while most people have a more-than-adequate wardrobe for probably several years, growing kids, women getting pregnant, or people who have lost a lot of weight (VERY likely, as the lifestyles and diets will be very different than they are now) will need new (or remade) clothing.

If people can use garments which fit well to start with, to make new patterns, it will beat the alternative, which would be going back to the VERY simple garments of several centuries ago- drawstring necks and waists, little shaping... just basic coverings to keep warm and decent.

One suggestion I would make in terms of saving scraps... (when fabric was homespun and woven at home, every tiny scrap was precious. We may see that again). If they are light-midweight cotton wovens, they're the best for quilts. Rather than stuffing all the odd shaped pieces and pieces too small to make into garments into a bag or box (which will then require re-ironing everything.. so most people just never get the scraps back out!), cut them into squares or strips... 5" squares and 2 1/2" wide strips go together very well, and there are fabric collections sold in those sizes ("charm packs" and "strip sets").. which means there are quilt pattern books sold for taking advantage of the precuts.

Of course, you don't NEED a pattern, especially if you are using squares and strips! Just play with them until you like the way it looks, or play with a design on graph paper.

I once ended up with a large rubbermaid container full of squares of fleece and velour fabric- leftovers from a decade or more of sewing for 4 kids. I ended up making 4 couch throws for Christmas presents that year... I laid the squares out on the great room floor, shuffling them until I liked the way they fit together and the colors worked. I then stitched them together, backed them with a piece of fleece, tied them together (WAY too thick to quilt!) and bound them with some bias cut calico. I was still hand stitching the binding on the last one Christmas afternoon, LOL, but they are all being used regularly in their homes.

Looking back, I realize that none of the sewing projects produced MUCH in the way of scraps... but they sure did add up over the years!

You can also start saving older clothing for quilt scraps, and it's best to handle them the same way- remove any buttons, useful zippers, and trim (just cut them off- this is quick-and-dirty, not precise work). Slice the garment along seam lines, and remove any seam allowances, interfacing, etc. Check for any stains, and be sure to discard any piece that is stained or damaged. Then cut into standard sized squares or strips, and add to your stash. Put the buttons and working zippers into a container and stash them for spares.

Most of this was routine habits for our grandmothers. It's going to be time to get back to it, I think.

Summerthyme

You can crochet with fabric strips that may be too narrow for anything else, or cut-off fabric selvages, and you might even get away with the stained pieces if it's for a rug. Also braiding for rugs. Ugly polyester wears really well.

Dh thinks I'm nuts, but I have a bucketful of salvaged bale twine, comes in red/blue/green, and I'm thinking I could crochet a door mat?

Yeah, I AM nuts...LOL! :)

Back in Print and On Kindle for 1.99 (will probably get a Kindle copy too) my all time favorite and first sewing book that I've nicknamed "The Hippie Guide to sewing" reading this is a real scream (especially all these "groovy" decades later, but the basic instructions on how to make simple patterns from your own clothing is timeless. There are (or were) a few glitches - one of the trouser patterns ended up being twice the size it should have been - my Mother was visiting when I reverted to age 12 and blubbered "but I followed the directions" she read them and proclaimed in Mommy Voice "yes dear, you did and you did exactly what they said, the directions are wrong!!" Husband still has them as gathered Viking pants though.

There are two volumes of this, took me almost 40 years to get a copy of volume II (I used to check it out from the library as a teen) These books are perfect for the sewer just starting out, who may not even have a home machine and full of ideas for the more experienced. Download and enjoy the "trip" down memory lane to a time when Cool Cats had Groovy Flash Threads...and make a memory - my first SCA dress (and that of several others I have met) was cut from the directions in this book.
    The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book [Paperback]

expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

HA! No, that's not nuts- many years ago, Mother Earth News had a pattern for baling twine door mats, and they were GREAT. I dunno about the plastic twine- I think it would be terribly slippery to crochet with. But I'm the same way... I have to fight the tendency to keep almost everything (not garbage... some of those hoarding shows scared me badly!!).

I don't need to worry about keeping "used" baling twine, though... I get the short rolls out of the baler (when one roll has run out and the other is ALMOST there, we just yank it rather than having to shut down to change another single roll in 10 minutes). They get used as garden twine and for all sorts of stuff.

That's another possible prep people might want to consider, at least if they're not living in an apartment or condo- a bale of baling twine. That's 26,000 feet of sisal twine for around $40 or less (I think they were $34 last year, but don't quote me)

It's light enough to use for garden twine, but very strong. You could always braid it or twine it together (google "rope making" to see how that used to be done) for a stronger rope.

I suspect people who don't farm or homestead now may not understand how valuable rope and cordage is!! One more item that CAN be made at home if you must, but the process is time consuming and fairly involved (if you must start with raw fibers) and right now, you can buy rope of any size or description imaginable for a few cents a foot...

Summerthyme

Cool, DisasterCat! Thanks!

Summerthyme

I just did a review on Amazon for this - I can't get the Kindle version tonight but I will be curious to see if it is just volume 1 or if it has both volumes in it. The second volume has the necktie pattern (my poor father suffered through me trying to make that, I never finished one to his vast relief I'm sure) I did almost collect enough thrift store neck ties for the skirt, but never bothered to put it together. As a teenager I was always starting projects that were never finished, I still have something of a UFO problem but not nearly to the same degree as I did back then.

I think my favorite basic pattern from the the above book is the basic tunic/dress pattern that I've used over and over. It fits me better since I had to have reduction surgery (about a decade ago now) for medical reasons, one of the problems with the book is the dislike of bras by the probably rather small creators of the book. While the then popular "darts" they refuse to use are not really needed, things do need slightly alternative shapes (or larger arm holes) if you are bountiful in the chest department; but these things can be figured out or today found easily on line.

I've had mixed outcomes with some of the skirt patterns, but again I know now it is partly from being 4'8" and always rather plump (usually not really fat but somewhat overweight and top heavy). It was the style of the skirts, especially the simple ones with gathered waste bands that are just never going to look good on me, unless I use a modern "sewn in" gathered elastic waste band (that doesn't bunch up) and have lots of extra gores or fabric in the skirt (to cover my hips).

There is crochet book that came out about the same time -The Adventurous Crocheter

- that I think was written by friends of the authors of the Hassle Free books. Both books work together very well especially for making purses, baby hats and other small things and both books were some of the first I saw to include the need for lots of easy to wear and wash children's clothing.

This was the first book I ever bought on impulse with my allowance money because I opened it up and it said "this is what a crochet hook looks like" having been a dunce at learning from books I thought "this is the book for me" and it was.

The styles of both books are similar, though I think the hippie-language is a bit more toned down in the crochet book (which sadly is not on kindle and not in reprint yet).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by hisbluelady View Post
    You can crochet with fabric strips that may be too narrow for anything else, or cut-off fabric selvages, and you might even get away with the stained pieces if it's for a rug. Also braiding for rugs. Ugly polyester wears really well.

Dh thinks I'm nuts, but I have a bucketful of salvaged bale twine, comes in red/blue/green, and I'm thinking I could crochet a door mat?

Yeah, I AM nuts...LOL! :)
    you can even crotchet free plastic grocery bags (as long as the UN allows us to have them), by twisting them into a rope, and running them over a flame to keep them "together", then crotcheting the "rope" into floor mats that are water proof. I used to think I was "nuts", too but now I know that we are waaaaay ahead of the game and don't waste anything.