Thread: Goats Milk Ice Cream Recipe FAST PLEASE!!!!!

Default Goats Milk Ice Cream Recipe FAST PLEASE!!!!!

OK, I know someone on here has to know a good one! I tried one without an ice cream maker and first, it was harder that a rock and two it had the consistency of iced milk.

I can add in heavy cream if I have to, but need a solid recipe to put in my ice cream maker that after it finishes in the ice cream maker, it will freeze in the freezer to the creamy texture like you get from mayfield.

I know...not asking for much LOL. It is just I just got 4 gallons of goat milk that I have to use by tomorrow or it will go goaty on me and I hate to freeze it.

Thanks!
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

I was never successful with GM ice cream, it will be ice milk primarily because the goat butterfat molecules are so much smaller than cow butterfat ones it's hard for them to glom together and so the "watery" portions freeze much fast and hard. I just made lots and lots of soft cheese for spreads and soft ricotta for casseroles and sometimes froze those for later use.

Could you make it into a yogurt and then make ice cream from that to get the desired creaminess?

I've never tried to make ice cream from my goat milk. But since my newly freshened beef shorthorn cow seems to have no aversion to my milking her, I'm having visions of some really rich ice cream in a few months. (I have to wait until her calf is a little bigger to steal his milk.)

I just wonder though if I add back in heavy cream, that would make it creamy? I am going to try this morning and I will update y'all =).
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

This is one our family came up with, that doesn't use any cream. It's time consuming, because of the cajeta (caramel), but it is oh so yummy. Note: we use our bantams eggs, so you might want to use 4 or 5 yolks instead of 6 if you have full sized chickens.

Cajeta Ice Cream Recipe

In the small stock pot, on a large burner, mix:
    2 qts whole milk
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 cup sugar

Bring temp up to a very low boil, stirring constantly. On the front right burner, start on setting 5, and as it cooks down, you will lower the temp gradually to about 3. Cooking can take 2 hours or more. The milk will thicken and turn golden brown.

Add:
    2 cups whole milk
    Caviar from a couple of vanilla beans

Heat until the mixture begins to bubble, then remove from heat.

Place:
    6 egg yolks

in a bowl, and whisk until smooth. Very gradually mix the hot cajeta and milk into the eggs, a spoonful at a time, to temper the eggs. When the egg mixture is hot, return it to the remaining cajeta mixture in the stock pot. Bring the temp back up to medium low (setting 4), and continue cooking until it thickens.

Place the ice cream mixture in a covered bowl in the frig and cool completely.

Mixture is now ready for ice cream maker.

You're going to need to make a custard (as in lynx's recipe) if you want "creamy" ice cream from anything less than pure heavy cream (or nearly so).

Summerthyme