Thread: Canning sauces etc in bottles

Default Canning sauces etc in bottles

Anyone done any of this? Some of the sauces I want to can won't be used enough to warrant using mason jars for, and the smaller jars like pictured below might take up less space.

When used w metal lids, the manuf states they can be pressure canned.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Sure... as long as you have lids with sealing compound and jars rated for pressure canning, why not?

I'm cheap... I just use the half pint jelly jars.

Summerthyme

Yeah, my frugal side is winning that argument as well. Half pint jars can also be reused for a myriad of things that these fancy little bottles can't. Plus the stacking factor......
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Well, if you can find a commercial product in the type jar you like for pouring, you could buy a couple, save the empties, clean them well, and then transfer your jelly jar of sauce into the "official" bottle to keep in the fridge...

Summerthyme

Some things I even can in the little 4 oz canning jars. DH hates cranberry sauce, so I can cranberries in the 4 oz jars and it's just one or two servings for me.