Thread: Pantry Moths

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I brought them home from the grocery store once. In baking chocolate, of all things. We have one grocery store here that I won't buy anything from other than canned goods because when you walk down most other aisles the darn things are flying around. I complained and the store mgr replied, "Well, this is Florida.". But our other supermarkets don't seem to have this problem.

Long ago I learned to keep bay leaves scattered and to freeze everything for at least 3 days.

I hope you get rid of the problem fast.

Long ago I learned to keep bay leaves scattered and to freeze everything for at least 3 days.
    Ah, yes... the OTHER part of the equation I forgot. (we really don't have a lot of problems with bugs up here, at least compared to the South)

Putting any bulk grain products in the freezer for a few days (set it to 0°F if at all possible- we keep our chest freezers at minus 10 below 0° all the time) will kill any larvae and should kill off the eggs... but since we DO see grain moths in the barn around the grain cans (If I don't use DE on them... I cover all my grain cans (on the surface of the grain) with 1/2" DE when I'm stocking for the winter) it seems obvious that they CAN survive some freezing, at least.

summerthyme

I had these about two years ago, and couldn't get rid of them. I bought the moth glue traps, but they didn't work at all. They ended up getting into all manner of dry goods I had stored, beans, rice, dryed peas, noodles... it put a dent in my preps. A few times I know they were in some rice products I cooked ( the larvae worms), I just boiled them with the rice and ate them...pretended it was dirty rice. I still have a five gallon pale filled with all those ruined items, figured I could at least cook portions to use as bait in live traps for raccoons and opossums in a shtf scenario... or even eat it myself if I get that hungry. I'll have to try the bay leave thing for the future, so thanks for the tip.

FAIR USE NOTICE: Post may containİmaterial, that may not've been authorized byİowner.Items reposted for info purposes, and constitute 'fair use' of sameİmaterial as provided.Section 107 of the US Copyright Act.In accord with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107,material in post is distributed sans profit to people with prior interest in similar info for research.This user generated disclaimer,and any posts made by this user are not necessarily endorsed by the owner of TheTreeofLiberty.com.