Thread: Looking for cajun spice recipe

Default Looking for cajun spice recipe

im looking for a recipe for a copycat of the tony chachere (sp?) spice blend. i tried some searching but the recipes i found were so different from each other i dont know what would be the closest, tho they all say they are copycat recipes.

was wondering if anyone here makes their own
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

CANNABIS MEDICINE RECIPES & INFO
    https://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com/blog/

I made some a couple of years ago but I'm still using it - what I did was look at a whole bunch of copy-cat and personal recipe sites and did a blend with things I liked best in the highest quantity and left out things I could not eat (like shrimp egg powder I am horribly allergic to shell fish). Not all recipes have that last one anyway, but a lot of commercial powders do so I avoid them - you could try the same thing - just make up a small batch of one that sounds good and try it.

If that doesn't quite do it than try a different one - if I recall most were fairly similar on the basics, but just varied in some extras - I suspect it is something that different families and different regions of the area had their own take on. Add that to the modern tendency to take "ethnic" foods and "tweek" them by large food companies and there are probably quite a few "acceptable" variations you can try.

Good luck, and please post the one you settle on.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

thanks DC, i reckon i will just have to do some experimenting. if i come up with anything decent ill post it.
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

My Dad has been making his own for oh let's say as long as I can remember. I'll get his recipe and post. May take a few days...MM

Default Red Lobster Cajun Spice Mix

http://www.copykat.com/2009/08/30/re...jun-spice-mix/

I found this at copycat.com
    Now I`m going to give it a try. Would not have thought to look here if you hadn`t ask. Thanks, this is what they say about it.

Red Lobsters makes a flavorful, and not too spicy, cajun seasoning. This goes well on top of shrimp, chicken, fish, or sprinkled on top of baked potatoes or even corn on the cob. This spice mix can be best described as something between Old Bay Seasoning, and Tony Casares seasoning. If you haven’t had the pleasure of trying out a cajun seasoning mix yet, this one is perfect.
    There will not be a single atheist in hell.

Default Tony Chachere's All-Purpose Creole Seasoning

from Tony Chachere's Creole Country Cook Book:
    26 oz box salt
    1 1/2 oz ground black pepper
    2 oz ground red pepper
    1 oz pure garlic powder
    1 oz chili powder
    1 oz accent
    Mix well and use like salt.
    for seafood:
    1/2 of above mixture
    1 tsp thyme
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp bay seasoning

Also good is Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast) included in the following recipe. DH called it a keeper when I first made this recipe. I use the spice mix for all kinds of poultry and seafood dishes:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html

thanks guys!

i found this one online and ordered all the stuff to make it.

Creole Seasoning
    2T onion powder
    2T garlic powder
    2T oregano
    2T basil
    1T thyme
    1T black pepper
    1T white pepper
    1T cayenne
    5T paprika
    3T salt

i found several , all different, but this had the least amount of salt.

thanks, ray, for the red lobster link and thanks maddymae for the TC recipe post.

im going to try them all and see what we like best.

we often use old bay when we cook and put it on alot of stuff but i really liked the taste of the tony chaceres