Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Vegan needs recipes

Default New Vegan needs recipes

My family is newly going vegan and we are in need of a lot of recipes. We are doing a plant based vegan diet, little to no flour, sugar, pasta. Time for a major overhaul in our eating habits. Please provide any and all recipes you can.
    THANKS!!
    Living the dream, just living the dream!

You might want to check on the recipes that we have all posted on baking beans and peas in the cookbook?? Are you able to eat eggs? If so, think of adding one to your diet for protein too. Also lots of your salads could include nuts for higher nutritional value. You need to make sure you have balance in your diet for your body's sake. Good luck. I think it is difficult to do and I commend you.

I was doing the vegetarian thing for a few months up until a couple weeks ago. I couldn't stand the thought of eating meat because of where they come from. I ended up getting down to 79 pounds(im short) because I wasn't getting enough of what I needed. I went to see a dietician and she talked me into eating meat again. I started eating locally caught fish and poultry from free range farms in my area. It's a good compromise in my mind. Being a healthy vegetarian is very hard unless you can balance all your dietary needs. No more ranting. :)

My favorite recipe is dandelion salad with bell peppers, purple onions, carrots and a few slices of habanero with oil with a hint of vinegar. It's yummy. :)
    Ku`ia ka hele a ka na`au ha`aha`a

Quote Originally Posted by just living View Post
    My family is newly going vegan and we are in need of a lot of recipes. We are doing a plant based vegan diet, little to no flour, sugar, pasta. Time for a major overhaul in our eating habits. Please provide any and all recipes you can.
    THANKS!!
    One of my favorite foods is just sliced tomatoes, with cucumbers, zucchini, and raw onions. Cut it all up raw, put it on a plate, and cover with olive oil and vinegar. Some salt and pepper or maybe some garlic. Mmmmm.

I don't know how vegan you are, but I can't resist putting parmesan cheese over the top of it. :)

This one'll knock you right off your Birkenstocks. For those of you in mixed marriages, know that my meatasaurus caveman DH can't scoop up this soup fast enough.

FWIW, I was a vegetarian for five years, and daggone near vegan throughout a successful and healthful pregnancy. The beans and wholegrain rice in this soup create a complete protein. I have made minor modifications to the original recipe, which can be found here:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ickpeas-352349

AFRICAN CURRIED COCONUT SOUP WITH CHICKPEAS
    Serves 4

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 medium onion (about 6 ounces), chopped
    1 medium red bell pepper (about 6 ounces), chopped
    1 jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped
    2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth*
    1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes, seeded and peeled, or one 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
    1 teaspoons mild curry powder, or to taste**
    1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk***
    3/4 cup cooked brown rice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation

In a medium stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and chili; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add the broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, curry powder, salt, and black pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.

Per Serving: Calories 401; Protein 17g; Total Fat 20g; Sat. Fat 10g; Cholesterol 0mg; Carbohydrate 43g; Dietary Fiber 7g; Sodium 576g

Nutritional analysis provided by The Tropical Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein
    Reprinted from The Tropical Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein by arrangement with HP Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. © 2009

---------------
    Cyberiot's footnotes:

* If I don't have homemade veggie stock on hand, I use Emeril's brand.
    ** I prefer Penzey's Maharajah Curry Powder, and use two teaspoons plus a shot of habanero sauce because we like things spicy.
    *** I prefer Thai Kitchen brand, because it has more coconut solids than competing brands.

ETA: If you prefer a less rustic soup, break it down a bit with a potato masher or immersion blender.
    Last edited by cyberiot; 07-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Hannaford Grocery Store's Magazine called FRESH for July & August 2013

Has a nice recipe called:

Black Bean Sliders with Balsamic Vinegar & Aioli on page 33 of the mag. that I got yesterday. I am sure they would be glad to send you a copy. It has another recipe that I am going to try too that would be good for you.

Let me know if you can't get the magazine and I will try and get another one for you.

Delishiousness abounds in this little magazine.

look up "Gary Null Cookbook"
    this guy is a fanatical vegan
    but he knows what he's talking about

http://www.hannaford.com/content.jsp...oodLoveLeftNav

This is the link to the magazine. Apparently you can browse it on line and you can see all the recipes for about two years at this link I think.

Give it a try. I think all of us can find new recipes that we might love.

Cyberiot that soup sounds fantastic too. I will give this one a try as soon as it gets below 100 degrees outside. Thanks for sharing with us.

Butter is a vegetable.
    Right?
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."