Thread: Asparagus ferns; cut back when?

Default Asparagus ferns; cut back when?

We're in No Houston, TX area and planted asparagus crowns about 3 yrs ago...the ferns are enormous...when do we cut back? And how severely? Then what to expect next year?

Thanks..
    Psalms 23:1,2 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlady View Post
    We're in No Houston, TX area and planted asparagus crowns about 3 yrs ago...the ferns are enormous...when do we cut back? And how severely? Then what to expect next year?

Thanks..
    ask summerthyme, but as I remember, at 3 years, you can cut back 20%, at 4 years, 30% and after that, whatever you need.

Birdlady - maybe this will help?

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...aragusfaq.html

When can the asparagus foliage be cut back?
    A. It's imperative not to cut back the asparagus foliage while it is still green. To produce a good crop next spring, the asparagus plants must manufacture and store adequate levels of food in their roots and crowns. The dead (brown) tops can be cut back in late fall. However, it's generally recommended that the dead top growth be allowed to stand over winter. The dead growth will catch and hold snow. The snow insulates the asparagus crowns and also provides moisture.
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

I was also under the impression that the dead growth will catch and hold beetle eggs/larvae to infest next year's crops.

I was instructed to remove the ferns and compost them...and to simply mulch the area with a thick layer of leaves or straw if I recall correctly.

I can't swear to it but I think these instructions came from the Storeys Guide:

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0882662775

Incidentally, these guides are a couple bucks on amazon and there are many (strawberries, cane berries, tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc.). They're extremely detailed and excellent info, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by therosery View Post
    ask summerthyme, but as I remember, at 3 years, you can cut back 20%, at 4 years, 30% and after that, whatever you need.
    I assume the OP is talking about cutting back the fern growth, not harvesting the spears...I think?

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

We leave the ferns until they go brown. At that point there's no "cutting back". They simply disconnect from the plant base. We burn the fern tops to help eliminate bugs and then cover them with straw for the winter.

If the ferns are in your way, tie a string around them and tie them up to the fence.