Thread: A Victory, of sorts, For The USMC

Default A Victory, of sorts, For The USMC

Marine Corps sergeant reduced in rank at NC court-martial over urinating on Taliban corpses

Published August 08, 2013Associated Press

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. – A Marine Corps sniper captured on a YouTube video urinating on the corpses of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan is being reduced in rank after pleading guilty at a court-martial.
    Marine Corps spokesman Col. Sean Gibson says Sgt. Robert W. Richards of Seminole, Fla., was tried Wednesday at Camp Lejeune and was reduced one rank to corporal.
    The video got international attention. It shows four Marines in full combat gear urinating on the bodies of three Afghans in July 2011.
    Richards faced a number of charges including dereliction of duty and violating orders. Military prosecutors said Richards had filmed himself and others urinating on the corpses.
    Gibson says Richards' sentence means eight Marines have been punished for their involvement in the incident through administrative punishments or courts-martial.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/08...#ixzz2bOLxGSwB
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

retard should have been dishonorably discharged.

Not necessarily for doing it, but for being stupid enough to video it.

Quote Originally Posted by rondaben View Post

I don't disagree.

The Marines used to have a code of honor. Desecrating enemy corpses shouldn't fit within that code. I don't care if they were just trying to kill you 10 minutes ago.

Posting the video? That shows a decided lack of ethics and judgment. They made the right decision in busting him down in rank, but I would have gone further.

Quote Originally Posted by rondaben View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    I don't disagree.

The Marines used to have a code of honor. Desecrating enemy corpses shouldn't fit within that code. I don't care if they were just trying to kill you 10 minutes ago.

Posting the video? That shows a decided lack of ethics and judgment. They made the right decision in busting him down in rank, but I would have gone further.
    Aw hell.....

They were just young men too full of p*ss and vinegar and they had to let some of it out before their bladders burst.

That shows the drop in quality of people that all the branches have had to deal with, not just the Corps. I see now what is called a Marine some times and it makes me sick. They would be in the brig or out of the Corps entirely when I was in uniform.
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here." Captain John Parker, to his Minute Men on Lexington Green, April 19 , 1775.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Aw hell.....

They were just young men too full of p*ss and vinegar and they had to let some of it out before their bladders burst.

Same could be said of westboro i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jmthomas View Post
    That shows the drop in quality of people that all the branches have had to deal with, not just the Corps. I see now what is called a Marine some times and it makes me sick. They would be in the brig or out of the Corps entirely when I was in uniform.
    Even 20 years ago this crap would not have been acceptable.

They were men marking their territory. I don't blame them one bit. It's not like our government actually cares about them, or about ever getting out of that godawful place.

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    Even 20 years ago this crap would not have been acceptable.
    Was what they did appropriate...no, was it stupid to film it....you bet, do I understand it...absolutely.

This stuff and worse has gone on for decades.

In WWII the Japanese dead were subject to having their skull severed, boiled and mailed back stateside. Getting caught might have warranted a reprimand depending on the CO. I'm aware of the cauliflower chunk of flesh that was once an ear from my Vietnam days.

In today's political environment, the Sgt. was doomed from the start. The Commandant of the Marine Corps actions insured that the Sgt would be convicted. The left leaning politicians were against him, and the public fell right in line with the MSM's desire for outrage.

The Sgt. should have, and was going to receive Non-Judicial Punishment, until the Commandant stepped in.

He should have got a $300 fine, and by the way....nice shot.

As a side note the Commandant is being investigated by the IG regarding his actions.
    http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/arti...NEWS/305190016