Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Stupid people more likely to believe in God!

Quote Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
    Assuming, of course, that you are still free and in control of your own actions. Once they lock you up in a camp, like the Jews in the Holocaust, you won't have much choice. You'll work all day long and eat when, and if, they let you.

All you will have is your faith to get you through. Everything else will be out of your control.
    I'm not in control now. All I have is my faith to get me through. What would be the difference between my life now and my life in a camp?

In a camp, I still have choice. I choose if I want to get up and work or get beaten. I choose whether I eat or starve, or whether they force feed me.

You always have a choice. Nobody on the face of this planet can ever take choice away from you. But all choices have consequences, and quite often you are limited to only a series of unpleasant outcomes from your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    In a camp, I still have choice. I choose if I want to get up and work or get beaten. I choose whether I eat or starve, or whether they force feed me.
    In The First Circle, Solzhenitsyn said people first found freedom when they got to the Gulag. When everything of value had been taken from them, there were no threats left that had any meaning. A prisoner could disobey without worrying that he was condemning his family, because his family was already beyond reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethshaya View Post
    Assuming, of course, that you are still free and in control of your own actions. Once they lock you up in a camp, like the Jews in the Holocaust, you won't have much choice. You'll work all day long and eat when, and if, they let you.

All you will have is your faith to get you through. Everything else will be out of your control.
    A better response, of course, would have been "IF" they lock you up in a camp, like the Jews in the holocaust.

Suggest you catch the Daniel Craig movie "Defiance" for portrayals of evidence to the contrary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034303/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    In The First Circle, Solzhenitsyn said people first found freedom when they got to the Gulag. When everything of value had been taken from them, there were no threats left that had any meaning. A prisoner could disobey without worrying that he was condemning his family, because his family was already beyond reach.
    I've read all his books and fully grokked the understanding of that.

There was a book written by a prisoner of the Soviets ... I'm sorry, but his name escapes me right at the moment ... who very famously resisted them even from prison.

He was thrown in prison for wanting to immigrate to Israel from Soviet Russia. He lost his job and was thrown into the gulag, and then later into the worst of the Soviet prisons. He resisted every single day. Hunger strikes, labor strikes, rousing the other prisoners. He was a huge thorn in the side of the Soviets. And they couldn't kill him. The whole world knew this prisoner's name (except me, apparently, today) and the Soviets wouldn't risk it.

Finally the Soviets capitulated. They decided to let him go to Israel to get him out of their hair. At the airport, the Soviets took him out onto the tarmac where a plane to Israel was waiting. There was press and photographers from around the world there to watch. One of the Soviet officials decided to spite him one last time and took his book of Jewish prayers.

The prisoner sat right down on the tarmac not a hundred feet from the plane which would take him to his freedom and refused to go unless they gave him back his book. The Soviet soldiers came out and started kicking him to make him move and he refused. They tried to pick him up to carry him to the plane and he started screaming. Alarmed at all the commotion, the head Soviet there noticed the press snapping so many photos, and he ordered them to give the man back his prayer book ... and quickly!

So the man won. He limped the rest of the way to the plane, but he left the Soviet Union that day a victor over his oppressors.

Ah, I've finally remembered his name. Natan Sharansky. He wrote a book about his time in prison. I would recommend you all read it. Many of you reading this now WILL be in prison or a gulag at some point in the future.

I posted an OP a while back about a study that determined that "Smart PPL" were more likely to not cognate the Big Picture because they were so concerned with micro-managing some aspect of what was before them.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

Enough said.

I would rather be ignorant and in heaven with God, than be in hell with a bunch of intellectuals,,, which would be a hell all of its own.

Stupid people are more likely to believe in ANYTHING.....many of them believe
    Obama is god. Thus the premise of this is accurate. Misleading....but accurate.
    Pleasing your enemies does not turn them into friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn it back on them.

"Surely you're not saying that Muslims are stupid...are you?"
    "So you're saying that accepting gambling tips from the Devil could have a downside?"

It's not where you are, It's where your at!

Quote Originally Posted by TeapotTempest View Post
    Turn it back on them.

"Surely you're not saying that Muslims are stupid...are you?"
    bingo!