Thread: What to do with all those cherry tomatoes

Default What to do with all those cherry tomatoes

Hi all,

Here is a recipe that my wife made yesterday out of some extra cherry tomatoes out of our garden. All I can say is that this one's a keeper for sure, yum, yum!

Heirloom Cherry Tomato Brown Betty
    Ingredients
    8-9 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
    Olive oil for brushing the muffin cups and both sides of each bread
    2 T unsalted butter
    2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/8 cup basil, sliced, plus 1 to 2 T extra for serving
    1 cup fresh mozzarella, sliced thin and in small pieces
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
    1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, divided
    2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
    1 ½ slices onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
    2. Lightly oil muffin cups. (I use a standard 12-cup muffin tin, and just leave four of
    the muffin cups empty.) Roll each of the 8-9 bread slices with a rolling pin to
    flatten a bit. Brush both sides of each slice with olive oil, and then gently fit the
    slices into the muffin cups, pressing to form.
    3. In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter and caramelize the onion and
    garlic. Be sure to stir frequently, scraping up any bits from the bottom so they
    don't burn.
    4. Combine tomatoes with the caramelized onion and garlic, mayo, lemon juice,
    basil, mozzarella, and salt and pepper. Fold in just enough panko breadcrumbs
    until the mixture holds together -- you may not need the full 1/2-cup of panko at
    this stage but will need a bit left at the end.
    5. Mound tomato mixture into muffin cups, pressing gently.
    6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until filling is bubbling and crusts are golden brown.
    While they are still hot, sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top with a little extra basil
    and remaining panko crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
    Serve warm or at room temperature.

updated - added pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VApatriot; 08-14-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added pic

They dehydrate really well, and are pretty good just straight (a little like raisins). When we get too many cherry tomatoes, I cut them in half and toss them in the dehydrator. It works well to toss a handful into a stew on a cold winter day.

Summerthyme

Thank you, both. My other "bumper crop".

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    They dehydrate really well, and are pretty good just straight (a little like raisins). When we get too many cherry tomatoes, I cut them in half and toss them in the dehydrator. It works well to toss a handful into a stew on a cold winter day.

Summerthyme
    My wife has done the same thing. Her favorite to use in soups are the chocolate cherries. They are a really great addition to her tortilla soup, aanother cool weather favorite.

last year I made Sun Gold Tomato Basil Jam, jut google it. It was a big hit and I used them for hostess gifts.

They make wonderful sauces, although they are a pain to pick.

My son will hang out under the container where the cherry tomatos hang and just keep eating them. He loves tomatoes and my DIL doesn't like them. The wee gold ones, I eat like candy. I LOVE them.

Yesterday my friend gave me some purple cherokee cherry tomatoes left over from the market. Yum!! The color of....well, never mind.

That Betty sounds delicious. We make pasta salad with lots of cherry tomatoes. PW puts almost more veggies in than pasta.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

It sure does! And I was going to suggest making some tomato pies, wrapping them up and put away in the freezer for later. The recipe is with chopped bacon, cheese, harbs etc in a pie shell, but instead of sliced tomatoes I don't see why you couldn't use halved cherry tomatoes. The "pie" always goes over great when I make it and tastes likt a BLT of sorts and the ingredients would probably freeze well.
    Pray hard, do your best,
    God will handle all the rest.