Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery & Archives to Close October 1, 2013

Default D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery & Archives to Close October 1, 2013

For Fair Use and Educational purposes

[URL="http://dcboothfishhatchery.org/save-the-hatchery-from-closure[/URL]

(August 20, 2013—SPEARFISH, S.D.) D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery (NFH) has been a landmark in Spearfish since 1896. D.C. Booth Historic NFH currently propagates trout for the Black Hills through a cooperative effort with the State of South Dakota; serves as a American fisheries archive to protect and preserve fisheries records and artifacts for educational, research, and historic purposes; provides interpretive and educational programs for the public; and is a cultural treasure located on the National Historic Register.

For numerous years the National Fish Hatchery System, a branch of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, has struggled with declining funding and annual increases in the costs of doing business (utilities, fuel costs, supplies, etc.). The actual impacts are even greater when you take into account the significant budget challenges resulting from across the board cuts mandated by sequestration.

In addition to these ongoing financial issues, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Directorate in Washington D.C. have emphasized and prioritized other programs over those of the National Fisheries Program. As a result, the agency has made the decision to permanently shut down multiple fish hatcheries nationwide, including the D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery. This closure is expected to be effective October 1, 2013.
    The Booth Society, Inc., the citizen-based nonprofit friends group of D.C. Booth NFH, has committed itself to advocating for keeping D.C. Booth Historic NFH open as a U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service hatchery, as it is today.

The Booth Society is against wasteful spending and supports a fiscally sound government. However, the national fisheries program and a facility like D.C. Booth are excellent examples of good government spending. They provide an economic impact that the public should be proud of. For example a 2011 economic impact study indicates that:
    • Each taxpayer dollar budgeted for the National Fisheries Program generates $28 in economic returns ($28 : $1). The revenue generated can be seen at sporting goods stores, marinas, boat dealerships, guides and outfitter services, bait shops, gas stations, restaurants, and hotels.
    • 68,000 American jobs are attributable to the economic contribution of the National Fisheries Program.
    • The National Fisheries Program contributes $3.6 billion in annual contributions to the U.S. economy. That equates to $70 million a week or $10 million a day. In fact, a company with $3.6 billion in annual profits would rank No. 41 on the Fortune 500 List of America’s Most Profitable Corporations – behind Verizon but in front of Kraft Foods.
    • $903 million in industrial output results from angling for fish originating in National Fish Hatcheries.
    On the local level, a 2007 economic impact study on D.C. Booth Historic NFH conducted by Black Hills State University revealed:
    • The operations at D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery results in $2.1 million dollars in annual business revenues.
    • An estimated $1 million is spent by nonresident visitors in Spearfish each year who attributed their visit ONLY to the existence of the hatchery.
    • $141,393 in local and state tax and fee revenues are collected indirectly from the visitation at D.C. Booth.
    • Nearly 30 jobs are created locally as a result of the operations at D.C. Booth.
    • Over 14,000 volunteer hours are donated annually to D.C. Booth. This is equivalent to seven full-time employees.
    To learn more about the economic impact of the Hatchery on the Spearfish economy, go to http://dcboothfishhatchery.org/pdfs/...udy_Report.pdf
    To learn more about the impact of fisheries on the U.S. economy to to http://dcboothfishhatchery.org/pdfs/...Value_2011.pdf
    This message is through the Booth Society, Inc., the official nonprofit friends group of D.C. Booth Historic Fish Hatchery. Its content does not necessarily represent the official views of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

breezy is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor

Here we go with the govt shutdown stories......

They are going to regret shutting that down.

There was a hatchery not far from Camp David (Bet you did not know that didja... now you know...) where we kids learned how to cut trout for eating. That was one activity that made me rather faint. I don't mind the gore, blood and shattered bone on the Interstate, but get me a knife and a flapping fish I get sick... something wrong with me that is for sure.
    I have decided the Tree is now infested with Trolls intent on destroying anyone who dares talk openly on these forums.

I will no longer be posting or logging on to the tree. My time is over here.

Some of you will celebrate. I will not be around to hear of it.

Good day.

breezy is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor

That State is doing well now though, right? With the oil?

Let the State take care of it. Every time i hear the words National Treasure, I feel a hand in my pocket.....
    Last edited by breezy; 08-23-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post

Let the State take care of it. Every time i hear the words National Treasure, I feel a hand in my pocket.....
    The Bakken Fields is a great thing for the United States. The Dakotas in particular. Makes me want to move up there see if I can find something for my broken down back and busted heart to do for a mound of cash each week.

But to get there, you have to pass state after state with dying elevator towns.
    I have decided the Tree is now infested with Trolls intent on destroying anyone who dares talk openly on these forums.

I will no longer be posting or logging on to the tree. My time is over here.

Some of you will celebrate. I will not be around to hear of it.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Seagull View Post
    They are going to regret shutting that down.

There was a hatchery not far from Camp David (Bet you did not know that didja... now you know...) where we kids learned how to cut trout for eating. That was one activity that made me rather faint. I don't mind the gore, blood and shattered bone on the Interstate, but get me a knife and a flapping fish I get sick... something wrong with me that is for sure.
    They don't want people to know how to produce their own food though. They aren't going to regret shutting it down at all. It is what they want to do.

There is no oil in South Dakota. The Bakken oil field is in NORTH Dakota. This fish hatchery is over 100 years old. It is the reason Spearfish is named accordingly. This hatchery supplies fish for lakes, rivers, and streams in the whole Black Hills region.

It is a HUGE tourist attraction that draws 155,000 people yearly. It IS a national treasure. But you all miss the obvious. The hatchery supports the economy in an area that is suffering more and more yearly.

A long standing business "Trout Haven" also closed this summer. Who do you think stocks the ponds, rivers , etc, that will now see obvious shortages of fresh water fish.

If you read the article, you will see that this effects the whole Black Hills region economically.

But D.C. Booth Fish Hatchery is just one of MANY nation wide they plan on shutting down.

.Gov only looks at the bottom line of what it costs to operate such a facility, not realizing that they will cost them MORE in the long run , by removing the industry that feeds off of these fish hatcheries.

If you are feeling a hand in your pocket, it is not this hatchery (run mostly by volunteer labor), it is the wasteful spending in D.C. (that far exceeds any benefit) i.e. flying "Bo" on his own plane.

Why is trout and salmon conservation important?

Trout and salmon species are often viewed as indicators of overall environmental health. Where trout or salmon are present, that generally indicates a healthy ecosystem and, in turn, the presence of other healthy populations of wildlife. Where trout and salmon have disappeared, that generally indicates a damaged ecosystem, and other wildlife that once shared it are likely suffering too. In this way, trout and salmon set the standard for the overall health of an ecosystem-a standard that benefits all living things that share it, including humans.

http://www.tu.org/about-us/education/trout-101

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow59 View Post

It is a HUGE tourist attraction that draws 155,000 people yearly. It IS a national treasure. But you all miss the obvious. The hatchery supports the economy in an area that is suffering more and more yearly.

If you are feeling a hand in your pocket, it is not this hatchery (run mostly by volunteer labor), it is the wasteful spending in D.C. (that far exceeds any benefit) i.e. flying "Bo" on his own plane.
    If it is not a burden on dc then why r they involved...sounds like something that could b done locally....

I get this is a grain of sand in the ocean, but cuts gotta come from everywhere...
    Its too late to change the system from within, but too early to shoot the bastards

I am hoping that somehow the State or locals can save this hatchery. This is in my area and when trout disappear, it will affect wildlife.

Story, Wyoming fish hatchery was closed years ago. I just keep thinking how overuse of the land in the 1930's brought the Dust Bowl days and then the grasshoppers.

But even from an economical viewpoint the numbers ($28 : $1) prove that making "cuts" looks good on paper but in reality is actually hurting the economy.

The math is all in the article.