Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summerthyme's Tomato Soup Recipe

Melodi- yes, the "1 quart" version uses 1 quart of tomato puree. But it's a 1/4 CUP of chopped green pepper, not 1/4 pepper. (although depending on what size peppers you have, I suppose it could end up being half a pepper!)

But if you're going to multiply it by 4, you might as well just use the original recipe in post #2.

And Carol- you're right, that purple basil vinegar makes a big difference in whatever you add it to! BTW, it makes a fantastic marinade for tougher meat (or even nice steaks)... if you marinate the meat in it overnight, it really tenderizes it. I usually just splash it on to steaks before tossing them on the grill.

And don't go spending a lot on fancy vinegar to make it, either. It makes the harshest, cheap "white distilled vinegar" smooth right out...

Summerthyme
    Last edited by Summerthyme; 07-03-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks, that's about what I thought - but I wanted to make sure.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

purple basil? Is that the same as thai basil? (which has purple flowers)..
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Not sure. The leaves are purple. They turn the white vinegar a a brilliant majenta color.

Quote Originally Posted by carol b View Post
    I'm growing lots of purple basil in order to make the purple basil vinegar the ST recommends. It makes a huge difference.
    Dumb question (have never infused vinegar): I've got the purple basil (they called it purple thai actually)...but what's the ratio for basil/vinegar-and do you just add the leaves into the jar? The flowers? How long?? Thank you! I've got a table full of tomatoes and this is what I'm doing with them.

Also...has anyone tried roasting the tomatoes first? I've already got hatch chilies lined up so wouldn't be any extra trouble....
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I've had 3 or 4 plants full of leaves, stems, flowers, infusing in about a gallon of vinegar for about a month. It turned color right away and hasn't gotten any deeper. That said, it isn't as dark as the last I made. I would figure out how much vinegar you will need, add more to use for other things, and put the basil into it. It isn't an exact science.

Quote Originally Posted by carol b View Post
    I've had 3 or 4 plants full of leaves, stems, flowers, infusing in about a gallon of vinegar for about a month. It turned color right away and hasn't gotten any deeper. That said, it isn't as dark as the last I made. I would figure out how much vinegar you will need, add more to use for other things, and put the basil into it. It isn't an exact science.
    Thanks Carol b. Don't think my 'maters will hold a month...but I'll start the vinegar today and give it a few days anyway :)
    ~Pyrate~

John F. Kennedy

I just pack a jar about half full of plant tops- leaves, stems and flowers, and pour vinegar over them. Go ahead and use it in a few days if you have to-it still will be better than just plain vinegar (which is what the original recipe called for)

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    I just pack a jar about half full of plant tops- leaves, stems and flowers, and pour vinegar over them. Go ahead and use it in a few days if you have to-it still will be better than just plain vinegar (which is what the original recipe called for)

Summerthyme
    I came and looked at this thread yesterday because my purple basil was ready. I made this, but I cut the flowers off. Next time I will use them. It started turning color yesterday and already has a basil taste. Really neat! Thank you!

Dang thought I had come back here on this thread to tell ST thank you!! I made your soup and hubby absolutely loved it!! Glad someone bumped this up cuz I was looking for it (lost my copy) so I could make some more today :)

She