Thread: Summerthyme's Tomato Soup Recipe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This soup sounds so awesome. I would love it, I know but my husband won't eat soup so I only make small, small sizes for myself. I love soup. And with the fireplace going....it is really yummy.

AL... would you like me to cut the recipe down for you, to.. say, a quart?

It's not hard...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    AL... would you like me to cut the recipe down for you, to.. say, a quart?

It's not hard...

Summerthyme
    I wouldn't mind either....breaking it down hurts my old head...

Thank you!
    Psalms 23:1,2 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.

OK... this might not be EXACT... but I've never seen a soup recipe that required that! (it's funny... one of my DIL's grew up not having a CLUE in the kitchen. She still hates baking... "it's too hard" (this is a person with a master's degree! Sheesh!), but she's a great cook. Apparently, it's the "exact measurements" thing that gets her in baking!)

Anyway...

Use 1 quart of tomato puree
    1 medium onion
    1/4 cup chopped sweet pepper (if you have dehydrated, just rehydrate a couple tablespoons of dried peppers and use them)

Add
    3 tablespoons of sugar
    2 1/4 Teaspoons of salt
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 1/4 Teaspoons vinegar

Follow the above directions, and enjoy!

Summerthyme

Thanks ST...printed and saved
    Psalms 23:1,2 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.

Sorry for a dumb question but is the 1 quart version for making 1 quart of soup, or is this what you get when you take 1 quart tomato puree (I am guessing that is home-made strained tomatoes?).

So to make additional quarts we just multiply (by 4's would be good because of the 1/4 bell pepper) to the size desired?

I am asking because since we didn't get a garden in this year (and they don't use gallons over here either) I'm going to have to buy a box or two of tomatoes at the farmers market (or when they go on discount) to make this and put it up and/or my Italian sauce etc.

I have quite a few quart canning jars so that's an easy measure for me.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I'm growing lots of purple basil in order to make the purple basil vinegar the ST recommends. It makes a huge difference.