Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Summerthyme's Tomato Soup Recipe

Glad you enjoyed it! I think I've had one person say they didn't like it, out of dozens who tried it. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to make it this year, since blight completely wiped out the tomatoes... I looked and found that I had a few cases of home-canned tomato puree from a couple years ago... I think I'm going to blend that with some of the commercial puree and hope it provides enough flavor to be acceptable. Hubby is VERY spoiled- when we had blight ruin the tomato crop in 2009, I used the big cans of puree from Sam's Club to make the soup and he did eat it- but not very happily!

Fortunately, I've got a ton of peppers and onions, even though the onions are smaller than I'd like... just gonna be a lot of peeling!

Summerthyme

dumb question?? Do you blanch or seed the tomatoes before they are pureed?
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I use a Squeezo strainer, so I heat the tomatoes to soften them first. The strainer removes the seeds and skins. However, if you've got something like a Vitamix (powerful blender) you could simply puree them, skins, seeds and all... the texture wouldn't be as smooth, though.

But if you're doing this the "old fashioned way" I'd probably peel them and seed them... or heat them through and put them through a food mill.

Summerthyme

Thank you!
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy