Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sunday View Post
OK, I don't deal in fear and hyperbole so I will make my statement and leave the thread.

Nothing is going to be shut down in the aforementioned drill in November. The only power lost will be if a drunk driver hits a pole (or something of that same ilk.)

These exercises are typically measurements and assessments of response times - what could Administrators do if A, B, E and H were taken out of service? What about B, E, F and R? Are alternate circuits available? Would there be a domino effect? i.e, if Ohio went off would it take Indiana with it?

BTW, think of my alpha designations as cities on the map for purposes of this discussion. Just sayin'.

These events are largely table topped. Years ago, I drove through a FEMA - NLE in the Northeast and basically didn't know it except for a few small groups making notes, charting roads, etc. Computers, manpower models and estimates based upon existing knowledge.

I am paging NightDriver because he has expanded familiarity doing drills and assessments and can paint the picture and the details much better than I can.

The vulnerability of the grid is a great weakness at the heart of this nation. Confining the discussion to conspiracy or unbridled, unfounded fear is useless and will never address the issue in a constructive manner.
The exercise outline .pdf is embedded in the OP link. It does not include the scenario but clearly states it is theoretical exercise only.