Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama Chooses To Stop Military Death Benefits

Default Obama Chooses To Stop Military Death Benefits

Ya gotta admire the Liberals, Ideologues, Fanatics, and other perianal rashes in the Obama Administration for continuing their moral race to the bottom.

Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

The flag-draped casket of a soldier killed in Afghanistan is returned to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, where President Obama issued this salute. (AP photo)The flag-draped casket of a soldier killed in Afghanistan is returned to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, where President Obama issued this salute. (AP photo)

By Cheryl K. Chumley

-

The Washington Times

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

At least five families of U.S. military members killed during in Afghanistan over the weekend were given a double-whammy by federal officials: Not only have your loved ones died, but due to the government shutdown, you won’t receive a death benefit.

The benefit is $100,000 and is wired to family members of the killed military member within 36 hours of the death. The so-called “death gratuity” is aimed at paying for funeral costs and to help with those living expenses normally covered by the soldier’s paycheck.

PHOTOS: A salute to America's warriors on the front lines of the war on terror

They serve as a transition pay benefit until the military’s survivor benefits begin.

The $100,000 also helps military families fly to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, while the coffins carrying their loved ones are being unloaded

The Pentagon revealed the elimination of funeral pay, along with other impacts of the shutdown, in a press release.

“The department does not currently have the authority to pay death gratuities for the survivors of service members killed in action – typically a cash payment of $100,000 paid within three days of the death of a service member,” the release read.

“Secretary [of Defense Chuck] Hagel assured the service leaders that he would work closely with them to address these challenges, and support the service members and families impacted by these disruptions,” it continued.

A senior military official told NBC’s “Today” that he was “disgusted” by the scenario, but hopes a resolution might be reached to resume the benefit this week.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2h8jC4ozT
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ers-no-funera/
    SS

huh

zippy almost looks like he wants trouble...
    The Great Way is gateless,
    Approached in a thousand ways.
    Once past this checkpoint
    You stride through the universe.

Hopefully the military are noticing who their friends are.
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

"Almost"? I think Zippy has wanted trouble long, long, long ago.

Sunny

Ok I can't tell on this one - but I know some of these are semi-automatic cuts - which means while the President and the Democrats are ultimately responsible (as are the Republicans) for not agreeing on a deal (in my book they are all refusing to do their jobs) I am not sure how much personal input Obama himself has.

This is not defending him, this is simply pointing out that there are some areas where the President probably can put pressure (and I'm sure the "make life as difficult as possible" park ranger comment is from the Administration or perhaps even directly from the oval office.

But a lot of stuff just comes under agency paperwork that determines ahead of time what is "essential" and what is "not-essential."

Now congress and the President can to some degree get things pressured or changed (look at the bills out there that are trying to get military Chaplains deemed essential, which I think they are) but for the most part agencies write this stuff up years in advance.

This one is another that obviously needs to be re-looked at, I can think of few things more essential - however, this also reminds me of the post I did long before the shut down which was pretty much that most Americans don't realize nearly how much the US government does (or affects their lives) until they or someone they love is directly and drastically affected by a shut down.

Any family or close friend of someone that was just lost in the line of duty military has just discovered this terrible fact.

Again, I'm not saying that the Federal Government should do everything it does (though in this case of course they should) but that isn't very helpful when it is yourself or your loved one who gets hit.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I think the Conservatives are doing their job. Out of the trillions of dollars the Government is spending, 83% of the spending has not been shut down, a few bucks for the faithful military dead does not seem out of order.
    Mr. Obama and his minions are directly responsible for this trashy, partisan political slam at the families of the the men and women who are dying because Mr. Obama continues his obscene and confused military strategy.
    See S.1541 - Military Pay Protection Act of 2013

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/113-s1541/text

“A bill to appropriate such funds as may be necessary to ensure that members of the Armed Forces, including reserve components thereof, and supporting civilian and contractor personnel continue to receive pay and allowances for active service performed when a Government wide shutdown occurs, and for other purposes.”
    This bill was passed by Congress and signed by President Obama prior to the shutdown.
    SS

A senior military official told NBC’s “Today” that he was “disgusted” by the scenario,
    Obviously, not disgusted enough!

I'm noticing just how many government programs there are.

And 3 times a day there's a new "outrage" from limited government conservatives about how Obama has shut down one of THEIR favorite government programs.

This sow has a lot of teats.

The evil of this President is so outrageous that I can't find the right words to describe how I feel. When our son was killed-- It took five days for them to get his body home to us. Then several months for his clothing to arrive. But, since everything was during a huge blizzard, I never thought about who was or was not helping us. Neighbors helped. Plowed so people could get in to pay their respects at our home. Hundreds and hundreds of people came no matter how bad the weather was. You know, Mr. President, we didn't need you but received a very thoughtful letter from the then President and Leader of our Military. He was a man of great Christian Faith and Integrity as well as a leader who loved all of the men and women who served while he was in office. His letter is placed with our son's clothes in a trunk for our children. It was a long time ago ----but the pain of losing a child is never, ever forgotten. I ask all people to remember what you are doing right now to those who have lost their lives under your leadership. May I also mention-----GOD watches and knows everything you feel and do during your entire life here on earth IMHO.

Omamba is engineering a crisis that will separate 'his vets' (like Vets for peace, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_for_Peace) and the Bitter Clingers so that he can label them Terrorists and loose his Minions upon them
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."