Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Decided to spring for a new, heavier ski jacket (I have a full-length parka) and some new long underwear, which has finally arrived in the stores. Snow boots good to -25F (and lower) are also on the list, but all I'm finding so far are unlined dress boots or steel toe work boots. I'm looking for something more like a moon boot. Maybe they aren't in, yet.

I so hate retail seasons! By the time I'm going to be wearing this ski jacket, bathing suits will be out.
    meemur, not sure they make "moon boots" any more. I like them too, especially the ones with removeable inner lining. :)

Quote Originally Posted by therosery View Post
    meemur, not sure they make "moon boots" any more. I like them too, especially the ones with removeable inner lining. :)
    If I need to run up to MN, I will. I saw some in the Mankato Shopko two years ago. Iowa has been getting less snowy winters, but I still have footwear from Ohio and need warmer boots . . .

Just recently, I inventoried my warm winter clothing, and also bought a good pair of boots and a better rain suit. Our Winter has been forecast to be a cold wet one. A wonderful TOL buddy and I did some bartering a while back. She sent me a box of Winter accessories which included hats, caps, ear bands, and scarves.

In the am, DH came in and told me our buck was hanging in the shop. He had an appt. without the time to gut it, so asked me if I would (keeping in mind I never watched or have done it before...). So, off he goes, leaving me with the job...

So, I sat down, watched a 4-minute YouTube, and gutted my first buck! Better yet, DH comes home, sees my work, and was thrilled. Hey, it was a GOOD YouTube...

Tomorrow, canning Venison!

We came full-stop !

We did a little camping, this past weekend. We did nothing strenuous or even novel. We simply relaxed, read a lot and enjoyed our time out in the fresh air and the woods.

Now that we're back home, it's back to planning, organizing and situating, just in case we have to move in a hurry.

Tonight, I canned Venison and also Dungeness Crab.

I am so impressed with ya, Christie.

Quote Originally Posted by therosery View Post
    I am so impressed with ya, Christie.
    p

Thanks, figure I should just forge ahead and get the experience. Next, I'll learn how to completely dress out a deer. Part of our prepping is relying less and less on technology. If it ever fails, we are living simply already. I spent a lot of my early childhood on my grandparent's farm. Their lifestyle was the most independent one I had ever seen. I miss my little hardworking spit-fire of a grandmother, 4'10" and a force to be reckoned with...I think she was a better shot than grandpa!

I canned the rest of the buck tonight, with more canning to do before I go visit family in CO (Sat).

Just bought a few extra canned goods. No more extra to spend. Trying to help others right now.