Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieAcres
    I finished using up all my ripe tomatoes.
    I didn't get many tomatoes this year due to our drought. We had enough to eat fresh, but that's it. So, I'm buying cases of whole canned tomatoes to compensate. Don't like doing that, but I don't want my stock getting low.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    I didn't get many tomatoes this year due to our drought. We had enough to eat fresh, but that's it. So, I'm buying cases of whole canned tomatoes to compensate. Don't like doing that, but I don't want my stock getting low.
    Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't have had hardly any tomatoes without the hoop house over the tomato bed! I took a few days off from everything and am ready to get back in the swing...

Okay, will be doing one thing in a moment. I am cutting my Lemon Grass, so I can hang it up and dry it. She has become my living room houseplant as the Winter here would be fatal.

No need for those hoop houses down here in the deep south. We can grow veggies year around down here except for January and February. It's the summer droughts that usually get us, even with all the rain barrels we have set up. Got lots of green beans for canning, though.

I'm bringing in all my houseplants from the deck today. We are supposed to be getting our first frost of the season tomorrow night. The plants out on the front porch should be ok for now. It's only supposed to be 31 degrees.

I am in Zone 8b, so have a long growing season. We don't get hot summers here, so the hoop house helps with that (heat lovers...). Fortunately, our dry spell last summer didn't affect our well.

Since donkeys are indispensable to people in third world countries we decided to add some to the homestead. We rescued a Jenny and her 10 m/o colt a couple of years ago. Spent some time de- sensitizing them to flapping tarps, hoof trims and other scary things. Recently bought a pack saddle with some birthday money and began serious training this week. Having a blast! They're going to be very useful in carrying tools, t-posts and supplies up the mountain where I'm putting up fence.

Default Re

Finally picked up a Berkey and a all American solar oven at the NPS show this weekend

Cool about that oven! Made applesauce with my DD, using my new KitchenAid attachments, was pretty slick. I do have a hand mill, but this is faster.

Decided to spring for a new, heavier ski jacket (I have a full-length parka) and some new long underwear, which has finally arrived in the stores. Snow boots good to -25F (and lower) are also on the list, but all I'm finding so far are unlined dress boots or steel toe work boots. I'm looking for something more like a moon boot. Maybe they aren't in, yet.

I so hate retail seasons! By the time I'm going to be wearing this ski jacket, bathing suits will be out.

Meemur- unless you are difficult to fit, it's silly these days to buy retail locally (unless it's the local hardware store or other entity you value and want to help keep in business)

SierraTradingpost.com has excellent name brands and quality at often amazingly-low prices. And no worry about "seasons"...

Summerthyme

Haven't been here for awhile.....

Called on a CL listing for some old firewood. Guy said it was maybe a pickup load of wood. Brought the trailer just in case - ended up filling our 12' x 6'6" 18" deep trailer and then a third of pickup bed. Not bad for about 25 minutes of driving. He helped load it too so even better.

All ready to split and burn, just need to dry from being in the moist fall air. Some oak, maple, cottonwood. A good enough mix for very little of my time and a little gas.

Then two weeks ago got a free oak that was downed and bucked. Gotta love fall and yard clean ups!
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'