Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    We finally managed to get all of our gardens planted. 3 different varieties of tomatoes (18 plants), cukes, squash, 9 green bell pepper plants, green beans, and peas (Southern Purple Hull). We decided not to plant as many peas as we did last year. Getting older and with medical problems, we just didn't think we could take care of it all this year.

Cary is still laying in firewood from the tree that fell in our yard. Our wood shed is almost full, and he still has a few more cords to split and stack.

Still rotating and stocking my pantry room, which is an ongoing process as money is available.
    I got a late start planting this year. Usually I buy the plants "Pre-Grown" for a head start but because Mrs. Bear lost her job I had to plant seed which takes a little more time to get started.

I have pieces of a fallen tree I need to cut up for winter....it's on my "List" of things to do.

Two days ago I almost herniated a disk in my neck trying to do something mundane. Have a goose egg on the back of my head/neck. Dr. said it was fluid but I came really close.

Soooo I was feeling kinda down about myself so when that happens there’s only one thing to do = go fishing.

I heard they stocked my favorite pond with tiger trout. I’d never heard of them so I went to see if I could spook one up but alas.

What I did do instead was catch two golden trout and a rainbow. Right into the chest freezer.

Which reminds me: One of the things on my Prep List is an alternative source of electricity for the freezer. Right now I put water bottles in it so it'll stay cold longer if the power goes out. Since $ is an issue right now I'm setting that project on the back burner. Speaking of projects I'm going to build a solar cooker with the help of the Rabbi's kids. Teaching them how to be self-suffient is a big deal for me.
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear View Post
    I got a late start planting this year. Usually I buy the plants "Pre-Grown" for a head start but because Mrs. Bear lost her job I had to plant seed which takes a little more time to get started.

I have pieces of a fallen tree I need to cut up for winter....it's on my "List" of things to do.

Two days ago I almost herniated a disk in my neck trying to do something mundane. Have a goose egg on the back of my head/neck. Dr. said it was fluid but I came really close.

Soooo I was feeling kinda down about myself so when that happens there’s only one thing to do = go fishing.

I heard they stocked my favorite pond with tiger trout. I’d never heard of them so I went to see if I could spook one up but alas.

What I did do instead was catch two golden trout and a rainbow. Right into the chest freezer.

Which reminds me: One of the things on my Prep List is an alternative source of electricity for the freezer. Right now I put water bottles in it so it'll stay cold longer if the power goes out. Since $ is an issue right now I'm setting that project on the back burner. Speaking of projects I'm going to build a solar cooker with the help of the Rabbi's kids. Teaching them how to be self-suffient is a big deal for me.
    What we started from seed didn't do so well, so we are some what in a half, and half. Some store bought, some self grown.

My yard looks goods now that the tree that fell is up and the wood n a pile close to my wood shed. Got a lot of splitting yet to do. BUT now I can do it when nothing else needs doing.

Sorry for your neck, and ya mean fishing didn't fix it? Boy, that is bad.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Been having trouble for a long time trying to post pictures. One more time....

88 = Heil Hitler

Man, that is one of the best ideas I've ever heard.

When SHTF fish in someone's Aquarium for Gold Fish. LOL

Great looking fish. Great catch.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Man, that is one of the best ideas I've ever heard.

When SHTF fish in someone's Aquarium for Gold Fish. LOL
    Sushi-to-go. Just bring your own Nori, rice and soy sauce!

Because the seedlings are taking FOREVER to grow I finally broke down and purchased some eggplants with a few months head start.

I got my friends 6 year old son to help me plant them. He has "attention issues" and he was really focused, calm, attentive while I showed him how to plant. He's pretty psyched with gardening. It's something which may help him in the future. If you ever want a kid to get excited about eating vegetables have them grow some themselves.

Once he's old enough we'll try fishing....in the pond.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Sushi-to-go. Just bring your own Nori, rice and soy sauce!

Because the seedlings are taking FOREVER to grow I finally broke down and purchased some eggplants with a few months head start.

I got my friends 6 year old son to help me plant them. He has "attention issues" and he was really focused, calm, attentive while I showed him how to plant. He's pretty psyched with gardening. It's something which may help him in the future. If you ever want a kid to get excited about eating vegetables have them grow some themselves.

Once he's old enough we'll try fishing....in the pond.
    Thanks for the invite!

Yeah, the same thing happened to us. We have some good sized tomato plants most of which were purchased. And some like a month behind, that I started, but are now coming on. So, there will be some different harvest times.

None of the Marigolds I planted did any good, and died. Came out of the same pack as last year, which got big, and really stank up the place, but no worms on the tomatoes. So we bought some, but they don't seem to have the smell, and it looks like slugs have been eating on them.

Beans and Peas have come up really nice. It's hard to keep them dusted, due to it raining almost every day. Starting tomorrow, and going for the next 4 days we are in the 60% range with 4 inches expected due to the tropical storm.

Kids and gardens: We have several elementary schools around in the area that do their own raise bed gardening. Gives the kids a little hands on, and they use the veggies in the cafeteria. Then their parents (dads) teach them the meat side of things. LOL.

The Bream haven't started bedding yet. They are running late. I guess with all the rain it's keeping the water cooled off some.

O, and when you say "pond" do you mean the Atlantic Ocean?
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

My friend’s six year old who has “Spectrum” issues is really thriving among the peas and potatoes. He’s really engaged and involved tending the beds.

I was thinking the other day about various Prep issues. One of particular interest was the old saying "The first thing a Prepper runs out of is money." So I began to think about the many ways debt can be a form of slavery, especially in a Prep situation.

Mrs. Bear and I have always been fiscally conservative and live by the old-school axiom "If you want it you save for it." My Bugout truck's a perfect example. I saved for seven years, shopped around, found my truck (used) and paid cash. NO DEBT. Something many people don't think about when they start on the Prepping Path.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Well after many years of faithful service my chainsaw finally kicked the bucket. Still trying to decide if I want to have it repaired or save up for a new one.

On the gardening front one of the kids deliberately destroyed two garden beds full of peppers, tomatoes, bok choi and sugar pumpkins out of spite. So much for that.
    88 = Heil Hitler

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

On the gardening front one of the kids deliberately destroyed two garden beds full of peppers, tomatoes, bok choi and sugar pumpkins out of spite. So much for that.
    Wow! So sorry for your loss, BugoutBear. That's a shame.

On our little homestead, it is zucchini season. Two days of rain kept me out of the garden, and when I went back in, the zucchini had gone from Crayon size to big-enough-to-knock-out-a-burglar size! We've been getting lettuce for several weeks, but the tomatoes aren't red yet. We also ate some turnips that came up volunteer. Getting ready to butcher a few young roosters this week.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by grower
    On our little homestead, it is zucchini season. Two days of rain kept me out of the garden, and when I went back in, the zucchini had gone from Crayon size to big-enough-to-knock-out-a-burglar size! We've been getting lettuce for several weeks, but the tomatoes aren't red yet. We also ate some turnips that came up volunteer. Getting ready to butcher a few young roosters this week.
    We've had so much rain that our first batch of zucchini molded and fell off. Now, I have more fingerling size, and am hoping they don't do the same. I did manage to pick 3 nice size cucumbers that I sliced and ate with our supper. Fresh cucumbers and sliced tomatoes right from our gardens as a side for just about anything I make for supper is a treat while in season. No chickens to butcher, but we should be getting fresh eggs by next month.