Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Checking the phone for waterproof, can be considered prepping. ROFL Sherree is saying I can't concentrate on reading the board for your laughing. Just so you know: I have seen on TV where people put their phones in fish tanks, but you may have been checking for pressure tolerance also, so it's good. You may want to consider the phone I saw on TV where they are videoing a skin diver swimming with whales, on a phone. It's on TV its got to be true.

May not be true with the Firefield, but for the "Truglo" which is a cheaper version, I get that, the accuracy goes away at about 50 yds. Up close out to 50 yds it's right on. After that you can't get two shots on the same side of the paper. FWIW.
    I was being facetious about the phone but I did have extra clothes in the truck which is part of my preps.

The Firefield was under $25. I still need to sight it in and fiddle with it a bit so we'll see. It's on a short range rifle so not intended beyond 50 yds.

Got a cocking harness for my crossbow today. What a relief!
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

I was being facetious about the phone but I did have extra clothes in the truck which is part of my preps.
    Ya, we're cool.

The Firefield was under $25. I still need to sight it in and fiddle with it a bit so we'll see. It's on a short range rifle so not intended beyond 50 yds.
    They ain't nothing wrong with that. So long as it works. That Truglo was also set up for short range. Does good there.

Got a cocking harness for my crossbow today. What a relief!
    Come on dude! Daryl on the Walking Dead just pulls his back. You will notice that he doesn't have any sights on his crossbow just a Picaninneu, Picatinney, Picananny, whatever the stupid name is. Rail. No sights, open or scope on it. Is he bad, or what? Come on now, man up. LOL just poking at you.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Come on dude! Daryl on the Walking Dead just pulls his back.
    When I was Daryl's age I could pull a 150 lb crossbow all day. In my delinquent years I use to race motocross and was constantly working out my clutch hand. And I was a martial arts buff pre-military. (Ironically the guy who took Daryl's crossbow complained it "bucked" to the left, which is exactly what mine did until I adjusted the fixed sights. You'd think a guy in the middle of the Zombie Apocalypse would take the time to adjust his sights. )

These days my poor old digits need a little help. My cbow doesn't have optics and wow does it pack a punch! Excellent prep for stealth hunting if the need ever came up.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear View Post
    When I was Daryl's age I could pull a 150 lb crossbow all day. In my delinquent years I use to race motocross and was constantly working out my clutch hand. And I was a martial arts buff pre-military. (Ironically the guy who took Daryl's crossbow complained it "bucked" to the left, which is exactly what mine did until I adjusted the fixed sights. You'd think a guy in the middle of the Zombie Apocalypse would take the time to adjust his sights. )

These days my poor old digits need a little help. My cbow doesn't have optics and wow does it pack a punch! Excellent prep for stealth hunting if the need ever came up.
    You mean you're not Daryl's age? I'm close, now that I'm retired. LOL

Don't think for a minute this ol' boy hasn't been slobbering all over the pages looking at those things. And then notice the price, and go desert dry. 'Course the one I want, I mean "need" is the most expensive one. LOL

What kind do you have? And you'll have to 'splain everything cuz I don't know nothin' 'bout 'em. But still I to do wa....need one.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Don't think for a minute this ol' boy hasn't been slobbering all over the pages looking at those things. And then notice the price, and go desert dry. 'Course the one I want, I mean "need" is the most expensive one. LOL

What kind do you have? And you'll have to 'splain everything cuz I don't know nothin' 'bout 'em. But still I to do wa....need one.
    Earlier this week I saw a next gen crossbow on the Sportsmen's Guide website for $2,000!

I'm more of a BUDK.com kind of guy. Got my Avalanche Tactical 150 lb crossbow for $100. It works just fine. Got extra bow strings, etc. Upon reflection, I probably should have went with the Avalanche 120 lb crossbow for $59.98. 5 pack of bolts for $18.99's painless too.

Personally, the 150 lb crossbow's too powerful for what I want it for. (<--- I prioritize my preps into wants vs. needs.) I set up a commercial crossbow target (big bag fill of stuff) in the basement. From 30 ft. away the bolt went through the target and shattered on the cement bulkhead. I backed it up with 1/4" plywood and it blew through that too.

Good thing a 5 pack's only $18.99!
    88 = Heil Hitler

Btw according to my remedial math for the price of a next gen crossbow I could purchase 33 Avalanche 120 lb crossbows....
    88 = Heil Hitler

I have the Excalibur, which is a limb crossbow....no cams or other unnecessary parts to maintain. It's hard hitting and acccurate. Not top end pricey, but not cheap either. I've shot traditional archery for many years now, and have enjoyed the light weight, accuracy and stealth of my hand made reflex/deflex semi recurve. The crossbow is a tradeoff. Requires less practice, reaches out there pretty well and is easier on my old man joints. But it is much heavier much more bulk and not as quiet. Also not as easy to change out a bowstring.
    Last edited by Wiskey Reb; 05-04-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear View Post
    Btw according to my remedial math for the price of a next gen crossbow I could purchase 33 Avalanche 120 lb crossbows....
    Ok I looked it up, and a friend suggested the Ten Point. Several in the 1700.00 range with 165 lb draw and then they have a new one "Titan Extreme" with 180lbs draw for 800.00. Would love to have one, but the cost is way to much. 'Sides I can't hit anything with a gun, and concrete walls don't count.

Had a really nice 8 pt. in the cross hairs, that was chasing 2 does. Standing there at about 100 yards, where the does had split, smelling the ground, I guess he was trying to figure out which way to go. His head was quartered away to the left so I aimed where his neck and shoulder met, and pulled the triggered. Just as I did he raised his head. He cut a flip that was over head high. Just knew he would be dead when he hit the ground. Imagine my surprise when he runn oft. My son and I followed a blood trail for an hour, and then it stopped and he was no where to be seen.

Had a great time just being in the woods, got the ol' ticker going just watching the chase.

There is one other thing about bow hunting. In most cases it's putting you up a tree, and I'm not a climber. Did the above sitting on the ground, behind a really big pine tree, with my back leaning on another tree, on the edge of a bluff over looking a hollow with a small stream running through it. The pine tree was cover as the deer moved down the hills on the other side of the hollow, then their trail led to my left, where they crossed the stream, and went through a cut in the bluff on my side. Sort of acts as a funnel. Putting any kind of stand or climber down in the hollow would put you out in the open and easily visible from the hills on the other side.

Which is a really great excuse if you're not a climber. LOL And I have to admit, as much as I look at those things, and would love to have one, I'm just a gun man, and not even a primitive weapon gun. Just a regular gun.

And as for prepping: cut about a 1/2 cord of wood yesterday. Tomorrow will be splitting day. And just think early May in Mississippi and our high was around midnight last night with 62, and the day time highs will be in the mid 50's. This to last a couple of days. Our gardens are not going to like this. I'll probably have to spend some time consoling them. Telling the plants it will be alright, global warming will return in a couple of days. There, there I know.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Hey,

Been raining nearly all morning @ 49 degree's so when things slowed down on the board, I decided to see what all was within a 300 mile radius, about a tank full of gas. In case we had to bug out due to fall out/social unrest/earthquake etc.

It would be a camping mode kind of thing, and would only last for a couple of weeks, hopefully.

So I googled it, and found some interesting places within range.

Including Housewolf. LOL Well bout 325 miles. That's close enough if I do NASCAR and cut the engine off and coast aways. AND OW! Grower is too, BUT she is still down range in a fall out situation, but might get a visit in a social unrest/earthquake. Just saying.

Family, ain't it great.

If it gets really bad, might have to make it to Montana. Now what family members do we have in Montana???????
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Got the garden turned today, and after 10 May will start planting.
    Home grown tomatoes, the best.

Rhodie
    I have seen the Elephant, War and Worse,
    I do not love it
    Nor do I fear it.
    I just dread what it can do to my country.

Duty, HONOR, Country.
    If you have to ask, you will never Know.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F Kennedy

The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.
    George Washington

'Forged in a fire lit long ago. Stand next to me, you'll never stand alone.'