Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Default What did you do to prep today?

New thread, starting for Autumn.

Guys... there's no reason to NOT share what we do out here on our homesteads and homes, but please, be a little careful about what DETAILS you share, ok? Things like town names, occupations, etc, really could possibly come back to bite you at some point in the future.

I finally finished playing with 900# of milk, and we're all set on mozzarella cheese and butter for the foreseeable future! The dogs all are so full they can't move, too!

Summerthyme

I've been organizing and reconfiguring closets at my new places to maximize space use. The pantry also got a makeover.

I looked at some of the so-called "closet systems," but none of the them worked for my needs, plus they were expensive. I've been cutting up pine boards and scrap wood to make the shelves I want.

It's not finish carpentry work by any means, but I sanded the wood and painted it a flat white. It's sturdy and does what I need it to do. Costs so far are around $48 vs. approx. $225 for a "system," plus cutting metal shelves wears out blades fast. Wood is much easier to work with, in my opinion.

You're really settling in, Meem! Sounds good! I found a couple closet "systems" on clearance once, and replaced the "homemade" (two by fours and plywood) one we'd installed ourselves. I LIKE The coated wire shelves, etc, buy you're right- they're usually way too expensive!

With the cows gone, we're going to be trying to go through this house, room by room. TONS of paperwork, etc that we won't need (but can't get rid of yet, as it's all the pedigree, etc info on the heifers we still have!) and just plain messes and dirt that we've never had the time or energy to really deal with. (in the winter, which is the only "spare time" on a farm, chores took just about 10 hours a day. That meant that any "spare time" for housecleaning, etc had just about 2 hours in the afternoon to get done!

One thing we're really noticing is how much more you can get done if you don't have to stop at 3 pm to start chores!

Summerthyme

Your days have another rhythm to them, Summer. It takes me about 21 days to get used to any sort of major change.

As for prepping, I spent some time exploring several roads, one of which didn't appear on any of my maps. It didn't connect to anything useful, but it's part of my learning the area as well as I can before the snow flies.

I've also found that maps of the newer subdivisions aren't accurate. I suspect at least one of my maps was published from builder drawings instead of what was actually built. That's another reason why it's a good idea to actually get out and walk/drive any potential evacuation routes well head of time.

Just received my Tattler Lid order and took the plunge to order some KitchenAid attachments to expedite my preserving. I'll take a break from putting up apples and focus on my cabbages. Made some applesauce, canned it last night, and cooking down a pot of Tomato Basil Soup. I've been wanting to make Ketchup, so that is next.

DH is finishing up the firewood. We have enough dry firewood to get us through the Winter, will use this wood last.

Just got back from grocery shopping -- dead. No chaos or rioting. I had coupons and went after spices and other pantry staples. It was a good night to gather things.

I'm about ready for winter and/or whatever happens with the debt ceiling on Thursday, which is a load off my mind. There has just been a lot to do with this move and that bump back into the 90s put me about a week behind.

DH brought up wood from the large woodpile and filled up the wood boxes on our back deck. Getting ready for the cool nights we are beginning to have here. We have cut and stacked 9 cords of firewood for the winter, even though we won't use that much.

We grocery shopping to stock up on more canned veggies, spices, and canned meat, like canned chicken breasts. I had several cases that were way past their expiration date, but were still good, so I gave all those to my elderly parents. They really could use it all. I try to help them out as much as I can. It gives them more food to eat than what they can afford, and lets me restock with newer items.

And, thanks Summerthyme for sarting a new thread! God bless!

like others, I did applesauce then got a whole bunch more apples so I guess I'm making more. I just bought a used All American canner and want to can some bacon today. Experiments are good, when the food is NOT needed. I hope it works. Then going outside while we have some sun, and read my Ham book so I can be ready for the test to get my license! excited and nervous. There's a lot to know rosie

Quote Originally Posted by therosery View Post
    read my Ham book so I can be ready for the test to get my license! excited and nervous.
    You'll do fine! Bright 6th graders pass the Tech test. General is harder if you haven't had a physics course at one time or another.

Here's a free practice test: http://aa9pw.com/radio/

It's on the left side. Check "tech" test.

Good luck! (Extra Class ham here, from back when CW was required)

Cooked up some Chanterelle Mushrooms, now frozen awaiting to go into future jars of Venison. I finished using up all my ripe tomatoes. The Ketchup will be canned tomorrow.