Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Hey BoB,

Dang, sounds like a belt is in order, but don't pay me no mind, I'm old school.

On the chainsaw front:

If it's a compression issue, which is usually-they will start, but won't run, it needs to be tossed, and is something that happens with older chainsaws.

Everything has gotten to the point that if it's broke throw it away, and get a new one.

I have two Stihl's and love them both. The 250 with an 18 inch bar, for smaller work, and the 291 with a 20 inch bar for heavy work. I also have the pole saw for trimming work. All three will cut enough wood in an hour than you want to fool with for a week. If you decide on a Stihl remember, they flood very easy. A couple of pulls with the choke on, and then take if off, a pull or two and your on your way.

Just remembered you're in the colder region of the US, so you may need to experiment with the choke. On cold days here, if it doesn't crank with the above, I slide the choke back on, give a pull, or two, then back off, and it starts.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Thanks Cary I'll look into a 20" Stihl to replace my old Craftsman. It got old, like me.

Today's a day of pain management. <--- something I've been thinking a lot about for quite a while AFA Preps are concerned.

Really bad dreams last night.

Every once in a while it’s been like that for over 30 years.

My neurologist told me a while ago that chronic pain can have an effect on your dreams. Makes sense. Last night I opened all the windows. The temperature dropped and the cold absolutely has an effect on my neck/back.

They started around 2a.m. Mrs. Bear kept waking me up because I was screaming in my sleep. Interestingly, I’d fall back asleep and go right back into what I call a “Theme Dream.” Been having the same dream = 737’s crashing all around me decades before 9/11/01. Last night it was the same dream and this time I was in Southern Manhattan trying to get home on the Upper West Side. Multiple passenger aircraft were crashing all over the city and in my dream I was trying to run from them as they came down. It’s amazing to me how detailed these dreams are.

Need to start reading Psalms before bedtime.
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Sorry for the pain BoB,

However, I think we all can say we have bad dreams.

For me in trying to fall asleep at night, or any time, I try to pick out some verses like Psalms, and think on them. Isn't that what "Shela" means? My thoughts are so boring I usually fall right off to sleep.

BTW if I had dreams about being in Manhattan, it would be a nightmare too.

And on the chainsaw. Look more for the motor designation like MS291, because different bars can be used on different sizes. My 250 can run a 20" bar, but there is more umph in the 291, and I am fearful of burning up the 250 with a 20" bar. Just saying be a smart shopper.

O, and BTW I can help you get your mind off of your back pain, just let me know. Learnt that from Major Payne. LOL
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Thanks again Cary for the advise.

Dawned on me after my first post that TF Green alternates it’s flight path every few weeks and last night around 2a.m. they were flying over our house. With the windows open it sounds like they’re going to fly through the window.

Mystery of the “why” I was having bad airplane dreams is solved.

Unusually cold here today. It's suppose to jump over 20 degrees by tomorrow and over 90 on Monday.

Oh, and I managed to salvage some of the plants from the destroyed garden beds so at least it's not a total loss.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Hey! The snow peas really are sweeter than the ones we get in the store. I belive there's some truth in the Farmer's Almanac about planting your peas before the first frost to make them sweeter.

Fixed my chainsaw and new chain. Cuts oak like butter! My Rabbi did most of the work but I was showing him how to do it. I think all the trees at the Shul are in danger now. Little too much fun I think. We dropped a huge oak tree and the ground shook when it hit.

Still haven't been able to get out on the ocean to fish. Physical issues are preventing me from doing a lot of stuff on my "Honey Do List."
    88 = Heil Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear View Post
    Hey! The snow peas really are sweeter than the ones we get in the store. I belive there's some truth in the Farmer's Almanac about planting your peas before the first frost to make them sweeter.

Fixed my chainsaw and new chain. Cuts oak like butter! My Rabbi did most of the work but I was showing him how to do it. I think all the trees at the Shul are in danger now. Little too much fun I think. We dropped a huge oak tree and the ground shook when it hit.

Still haven't been able to get out on the ocean to fish. Physical issues are preventing me from doing a lot of stuff on my "Honey Do List."
    Very cool indeed.

What was wrong with the chainsaw?

Putting trees on the ground is fun, but then the real work starts.

You guys going to use a hydraulic splitter, or an axe?

I've used just an axe, and not those wedges, except in extreme cases, up until I bought a hydraulic splitter. There is a trick to using an axe. I watched Sherree's grandfather split wood as fast as I could cut it, with a chainsaw. He would use a double edge axe, and hit it 4 times, and never stick his axe, and it would fall open into 4 pieces. 'Course if the chunk needed to be cut down even further, he would stand 'em and split it further.

Anyway, I'm no where near as good as he is, stick my axe sometimes, but can give you some pointers, if you need it.

Yeah, there ain't nothing like splitting a few cords with an axe sticking your chest out, and putting your foot on the last piece, and yodeling. LOL
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I've begun to harvest veggies from our gardens! Cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and picked our first batch of green beans this morning. Peas are coming along, nicely, too. Still waiting on our first ripe tomato. I don't plan to can anything this year, since we had an abundance last year that we haven't even started eating yet. I don't think my pantry room will hold that many more jars. If I do any canning this year, it will be to make salsa from all of our tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    I've begun to harvest veggies from our gardens! Cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and picked our first batch of green beans this morning. Peas are coming along, nicely, too. Still waiting on our first ripe tomato. I don't plan to can anything this year, since we had an abundance last year that we haven't even started eating yet. I don't think my pantry room will hold that many more jars. If I do any canning this year, it will be to make salsa from all of our tomatoes.
    I make a pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes in the slow cooker which is really excellent. It's straight forward: drop the tomatoes into the slow cooker (no need to skin them), season to taste, set it on low and wait. Drain off the liquid for a thicker sauce. If you want to go the extra step throw it into a food processor and pure it. Eat it fresh withing two days and it's awesome! I planted extra plum tomatoes for this and can't wait!

My F-250's in the driveway with 4ft. sections of oak from the giant tree we cut down a few days ago. I'm going to stash it under the deck and nibble away at it with my chainsaw and eventually split it. <--- not an easy thing for me to do so everything's in steps and stages.

Ocean fishing's white hot and I still haven't been able to get out there and stuff my chest freezer. 2 or 3 trips gives us enough fish for a year and give away to friends.
    88 = Heil Hitler

My F-250's in the driveway with 4ft. sections of oak from the giant tree we cut down a few days ago.
    And your tires aren't sitting on the rims????? LOL The Red Oak that fell in our yard a while back was 36" on the narrow side, and 42" on the wide side about 15' from the bottom. So big I couldn't do anything with it. Hired a guy to come and get it. They cut it in lengths of the Bobcat Bucket and drove up the drive way with the back tires in the air, and when they were done and leaving, the big brush truck they were using had semi flat tires.

I'm going to stash it under the deck and nibble away at it with my chainsaw and eventually split it. <--- not an easy thing for me to do so everything's in steps and stages.
    Yeah, that's the best way to eat an elephant, and is what I'm doing with all the wood I got cut, and ready to split, about 3 more cords to go.

Get a hydraulic splitter, you're back will thank you. BTW with your skill set, you might can make one. Cost might run a few hundred, where as buying one runs about 1500. You also might think about making an attachment to a tractor. Use the PTO as the drive/pump for the oil, get a used hydraulic shaft, build a base to set it on, and attach base for wood, and you're ready.

Just a thought.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear
    I make a pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes in the slow cooker which is really excellent. It's straight forward: drop the tomatoes into the slow cooker (no need to skin them), season to taste, set it on low and wait. Drain off the liquid for a thicker sauce. If you want to go the extra step throw it into a food processor and pure it. Eat it fresh withing two days and it's awesome! I planted extra plum tomatoes for this and can't wait!
    I've never tried making pasta sauce, since I don't use it that much. We do eat a lot of Mexican type dishes, though. Salsa over a Taco Salad or mixed into Taco Soup works wonders. I just hope that we get enough tomatoes for this purpose. Last year, we gave away buckets of fresh tomatoes to friends and family, not to mention all the canning I did. I need to find a good basic salsa recipe, since I've never made any before.

This morning I dug a few small potatoes that came up as volunteers from last year. Potato crop last year was a total failure.