Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Just started the last load of winter clothing, which will totally catch me up on laundry. I stored some of my winter clothing wet last winter (lesson learned!) and had a touch of mildew, but it's coming out with hot water and Oxyclean. I will take the load to the big commercial dryers in a few minutes. They get hotter than mine.

I also checked out things I have stored, like shoes and socks. They are fine. Running shoes can rot in several years, but I have mine in airtight boxes.

I might have to bit the bullet and pay full price for some winter hiking boots as soon as they come in. I have winter boots but can't walk very far in them. I also want to get them water-proofed and broken in.

Emptied 3 of the 4 freezers of all meat, canned, sorted and stacked (whew).

Canned 50 #10 cans of things you wouldn't normally find canned...(pink Himalayan salt for example)

Burned 2 dozen "how to's" from you-tube

Trying to fill in holes in ham radio setup and finish solar set up.

Not worrying that one of my chicks is a roo-cause I think there are gonna be bigger worries than the sex of one of my chicks.....
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My truck old truck "died" yesterday, so today I'm trying out my new washtubs. They are two 55 gal plastic barrels with about 1/3 cut off of the tops. I've been without a washer and water heater for over a year and a half now, and without the truck, I can't bring the laundry anywhere else to wash it.

I'll have to see how well I can do this. My back is already telling me to take it easy with that doggone laundry plunger. (Which seems to work pretty well if I keep tightiening it where it screws onto its handle.)

I'm trying to be positive. At least I still have the well pump to pump the water and a kitchen range to heat it. And I don't have to carry the pot of heated water too far.

Carol

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

I understand what you're going through, Carol. Been there, done that. May God bless you with warm, sunny days and a good breeze on your laundry days!

Today, youngest DS and I cut some dead trees and hauled up to chop into firewood, for what's looking to be a cold, snowy winter.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Grower, today is a warm sunny day and I'm still waiting for my drip-drying laundry to finish drying. (GOTTA get a wringer for those tubs!)

I have an enclosed garden on the whole south side of my house. Soon I'll be putting the plastic cover on the top for the winter, then I can hang laundry out there no matter the weather. Then before actual winter comes, I will get the side panels up, too, and it will be a greenhouse. You can imagine what sunny winter afternoons are like out there when all the plastic covers are on! Heavenly warm! And a little door right into it from the living room!

I can hand wash clothing in the kitchen sink, but those tubs will be wonderful for when I have to wash sheets, blankets and all of my shawls and afghans.

Carol

Son called & told me the items listed in the co. store case sales today. Had him pick me up, Campbells cream of chicken soup family size $ 6.oo for 24 cans. Pace jalapeno & pepper jack dip. 12 per case $ 1.oo a case. Pace southwest ranch dip same price, case of 12 for $ 1.oo . Pace onion & chipolte dip case of 12 for $ 1. oo . Campbells family size cream of mushroom 12 per case $ 6.oo. Campbells tomato juice 12 per case $ 6. 50 , 46 ounce size.
    ?

Picked up Canterbuy Naturals non gmo organic dried soup mixes. got 32 of the roasted garlic potato corn chowder , 21 of the white lighting chicken chili, 15 farmhouse chicken & brown rice ,20 on the bayou jambalaya, 9,rustic fireside tortilla ,41 harvest moon vegetable, 5 down home chicken noodle. All 79 cents each at local scratch n dent store.

Also got 67 Streits dried all natural barley mushroom soup mix , 38 streits dried minestrone dried soup mix 2 /99 cents.
    ?

Purchase more staples!
    2Th 3:10For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat

I got more KI today.
    Good 'till 2026.
    I should live so long!
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear
    I got more KI today.
    Good 'till 2026.
    I should live so long!
    It's good to see these type of threads reopened, BoB. I miss all the prepping topics that flourished here at one time. I had forgotten about this one. One can only read so many political type threads for so long, before they start getting old.

With the situation of the world right now, we decided Monday to start topping off all our stores, and I made an inventory of all the items I needed to top off my pantry room. Some things I had let get low. We managed to have a big garden this year, and have been tending and babysitting it with the hope that we'll have a great harvest. So, I guess the biggest thing we've done to prep is just making inventories of all our preps, and plan to make a huge run into town tomorrow to top off everything.

It would be interesting if others would share their thinking on prepping they are doing in light of world events. Anything different, or just steady as she goes?