Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article V Constitutional Convention Planning Meeting, December 7, 2013

Everyone wants so badly to preserve a secular humanistic, 'do what thou will society'.
    Why?
    I'm rather partial to this article for stating the real problem: http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/keyes/131205
    Awaiting the day the dross is burnt out of this world.

BTT Thanks SOJ.
    We wanted a FIGHTER. We got a fighter in Trump. He will not take anything laying down. Trump or Bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    Everyone wants so badly to preserve a secular humanistic, 'do what thou will society'.
    Why?
    I'm rather partial to this article for stating the real problem: http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/keyes/131205
    Spirit it is a good read. It stirs me and the Spirit within me. I see within the Convention of States the same hope I get from this section of the article you linked.

But what if there was One whose example of courage informed the character of a multitude of individuals? What if there was One whose spirit of courage inspired others to step forward, all alone, against the tyrant cohorts of arms and power? And what if that inspiration became a faithful praxis of courage, proof against the fear of power, the corrupting manipulation of wealth, and the tyrant smog of furtive mutual distrust?
    I believe We can still derive courage informed by the One who guided those men at the forming of this nation. We need those who do not accept the decree of the cult Obama who say "we are no longer a Christian nation". We need those guided by His Spirit to have the courage to step forward against the tyrants. Within my spirit He is calling me to stand and stand firm for His nation. The other voices who say all is lost or we are fighting against the tide of prophesy are not His voice. Though all may be lost and though we may be fighting a loosing struggle against the pre-ordained I still know His voice and know I must stand until my last breath.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

Illinois 35 miles beyond the Chicago Mafia's reach

Question

I really wish you were right and I was wrong.

Runaway convention.... NO HISTORICAL precedent? What happened in Illinois with its State ConCon then?

Who thinks that the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights would survive in a new Constitution?

Quote Originally Posted by Son of George View Post
    4. There is absolutely no historical precedent for a runaway convention. Many opponents of a convention of the states make the historically false allegation that our Constitution was adopted as the result of an illegal runaway convention. Such an argument was invented by the enemies of the Constitution and is unsupported by historical fact. (See “Was the Constitution Illegally Adopted?” by Michael Farris at http://www.hslda.org/courtreport/v21n4/V21N401.asp).
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

Default I don't think its a good idea

All the discussions,debates to come from such a thing could, I say again could be a good thing yet I see at least three things that make this useless.

1. We have a constitution in place that is wholly ignored by both the federal and to a large degree many of the state legislatures. We need constitutional scholars (whatever that is) to interpret a document written by and for farmers and businessmen. That document has been ignored in one way or the other since a few weeks after it's adoption by people just like Levine and others today, who choose only to accept those parts that go along with their own agenda's and to h... with what the words actually say, throughout most of history. Eliminate all lawyers, get 5th graders from around the country with an A in reading comprehension and lets have those same discussions, we would have a better chance of actually accomplishing something worthwile. How is starting with the corruption that plagues ALL the state houses in this country any better than what now exists?

2. Who or what EXACTLY will enforce such decisions as will be made there with sufficient force of arms to make it binding on the current government/administration either at the federal or more importantly at the state level? Talk is cheap and in this case totally useless without the force to back up anything that is decided in such a venue. I know of no group anywhere that is willing to detain,try,convict and hang those currently abusing the power this government actually wields as is. Go ahead, get together and talk all you like. Talk is cheap without the willingness to die/and or kill for the ideal. Even here on the tree I have seen no one who will be first to defend to the death that which they believe in. (Thats not a slam just what has been stated for a long time here by so many.) Never mind agreeing on something to start with!

3. Assuming the first two problems are overcome, who in their right mind believes that such a convention would address the corruption that is clear within the judicial branch, let alone the myriad of illegal agencies currently run by the standing government? Like the hydra of myth it would of necessity require the cutting off of ALL the heads to kill the beast and I believe that strength of will simply cannot exist when the majority of the population in this country derive their very existence from that beast. Social security,food stamps,welfare,all government paychecks whether earned or given, must of necessity stop or be modified in such a way as to give the power back to the individual, NOT state,local or any other government entity.

In conclusion the current administration holds the power to advance their own agenda at the moment, Stein and his ilk simply want the power for their own agenda. If you believe they "care" about your freedom any more than the existing powers then the only difference in the wool over your eyes is the color of the strands. Take one per cent of this country, put the existing law books in one hand and the constitution in the other and let them vote to repeal any and all of them that don't meet the letter of that document. Eliminate ALL political contributions save one from an individual and limit that to say five hundred or maybe a grand, then rerun free and fair elections. The change in this country with that one step would be astronomical. I don't pretend to have all the answers, I don't personally think this country or its idea in it's original form is salvageable. God willing I am wrong and we once again stand for that freedom we are known for, but an article V convention is an exercise in futility, with the time expended better served by rifle practice.
    My 3cp (inflation ya know) YMMV

Its worse than an exercise in futility, it could easily be a disaster of such proportions that the constitution party and Ron Paul et al would have to shut up and sit down. If the constitution were amended to clearly give the power to government what the gov has already misappropriated, it would be LEGAL. From a libertarian standpoint such as mine and others here, nearly everyone is a liberal even many so called conservatives. From my standpoint, a CC could only lead us further downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by snewbie View Post
    Its worse than an exercise in futility, it could easily be a disaster of such proportions that the constitution party and Ron Paul et al would have to shut up and sit down. If the constitution were amended to clearly give the power to government what the gov has already misappropriated, it would be LEGAL. From a libertarian standpoint such as mine and others here, nearly everyone is a liberal even many so called conservatives. From my standpoint, a CC could only lead us further downhill.
    Bingo!

I think this whole constitutional convention thing is a trojan horse.

If we had the numbers to do any good with this, we wouldn't need it. We would be electing properly constitutional politicians to begin with.

So what's going to happen is that there will be a convention called, and a new constitution written ... that won't in any way resemble the old one and will essentially undo all of the rights we had up until that point.

breezy is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Miradus View Post
    I think this whole constitutional convention thing is a trojan horse.

If we had the numbers to do any good with this, we wouldn't need it. We would be electing properly constitutional politicians to begin with.

So what's going to happen is that there will be a convention called, and a new constitution written ... that won't in any way resemble the old one and will essentially undo all of the rights we had up until that point.

Bingo!!!

This is a great address by Glenn Beck. He explains much of what is being discussed for a Convention of States.

Audio: Glenn Beck Declares ‘Convention of States’ Is the ‘Only Way Back’

He also talks about those who appose the Convention, like the voices of doom and gloom we see in this thread.

Listen to what Glen has to say and make up your own mind.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23